Helping Massachusetts Dogs

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 12th, 2006, 8:53 am

This was forwarded to me:

July 22: Save the Date for the Dogs!


I am writing to invite you to a summer picnic to support an important animal protection measure on the November ballot. The Dog Protection Act would phase out dog racing in Massachusetts by 2008, strengthen laws against dogfighting, and increase criminal penalties for harming law enforcement and service dogs.

Please join this important campaign to protect dogs on Saturday, July 22, at 2 p.m. at the new MSPCA-Angell facility (350 S. Huntington Ave., Boston). Rally with me, Sara Amundson of the Doris Day Animal League, and Christine Dorchak of The Committee to Protect Dogs to toast our successful signature drive and raise funds for the campaign ahead. Lunch will be provided and dogs are welcome too! The suggested donation is $50 -- you can contribute online, by mail, or at the event.

Click here to RSVP today!

The Dog Protection Act is jointly sponsored by The Humane Society of the United States, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and greyhound protection group GREY2K USA.

Earlier this month more than 2,000 volunteers statewide collected over 150,000 signatures
-- more than twice the number required -- to place the Dog Protection Act before voters. Now we need your help to build on this momentum and bring home a victory for the dogs in November. RSVP today to help pass stronger laws for Massachusetts’ dogs!

For more information, please contact the Committee to Protect Dogs at (617) 666-3526 or info@protectdogs.org. If you have friends and family in Massachusetts who can help, please share this link.

Thank you for helping dogs win in Massachusetts.

Sincerely,



Mike Markarian
Executive Vice President, The Humane Society of the United States
President, Humane Society Legislative Fund

P.S. Can't attend, but want to help pass the Dog Protection Act? Support the Committee to Protect Dogs by making a donation today! (Because the Committee to Protect Dogs is a Massachusetts ballot committee, donations are not tax-deductible.)
User avatar
SpiritFngrz
I live here
 
Posts: 2711
Location: Central Mass.

Postby Karen » July 12th, 2006, 7:06 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:This was forwarded to me:

July 22: Save the Date for the Dogs!


I am writing to invite you to a summer picnic to support an important animal protection measure on the November ballot. The Dog Protection Act would phase out dog racing in Massachusetts by 2008, strengthen laws against dogfighting, and increase criminal penalties for harming law enforcement and service dogs.

Please join this important campaign to protect dogs on Saturday, July 22, at 2 p.m. at the new MSPCA-Angell facility (350 S. Huntington Ave., Boston). Rally with me, Sara Amundson of the Doris Day Animal League, and Christine Dorchak of The Committee to Protect Dogs to toast our successful signature drive and raise funds for the campaign ahead. Lunch will be provided and dogs are welcome too! The suggested donation is $50 -- you can contribute online, by mail, or at the event.

Click here to RSVP today!

The Dog Protection Act is jointly sponsored by The Humane Society of the United States, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and greyhound protection group GREY2K USA.

Earlier this month more than 2,000 volunteers statewide collected over 150,000 signatures
-- more than twice the number required -- to place the Dog Protection Act before voters. Now we need your help to build on this momentum and bring home a victory for the dogs in November. RSVP today to help pass stronger laws for Massachusetts’ dogs!

For more information, please contact the Committee to Protect Dogs at (617) 666-3526 or info@protectdogs.org. If you have friends and family in Massachusetts who can help, please share this link.

Thank you for helping dogs win in Massachusetts.

Sincerely,



Mike Markarian
Executive Vice President, The Humane Society of the United States
President, Humane Society Legislative Fund

P.S. Can't attend, but want to help pass the Dog Protection Act? Support the Committee to Protect Dogs by making a donation today! (Because the Committee to Protect Dogs is a Massachusetts ballot committee, donations are not tax-deductible.)


Yeah help the dogs just like they helped them in Boston. The humane society are not our friends
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
User avatar
Karen
Confident Young Bully
 
Posts: 534
Location: NH

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 10:53 am

Yikes, sorry....
User avatar
SpiritFngrz
I live here
 
Posts: 2711
Location: Central Mass.

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 10:58 am

P.S.- this act is not only sponsored by the Humane Society, but other groups as well. I don't see what's wrong with supporting an act that
would phase out dog racing in Massachusetts by 2008, strengthen laws against dogfighting, and increase criminal penalties for harming law enforcement and service dogs.

Just because you have beef with the Humane Society and some idiots in Boston who enacted BSL, don't knock the whole thing! Geez.... :neutral:
User avatar
SpiritFngrz
I live here
 
Posts: 2711
Location: Central Mass.

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2006, 11:03 am

Hey Karen, you are more than welcome to your opinion, but want to give a little more background to your comment?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby Karen » July 13th, 2006, 11:19 am

mnp13 wrote:Hey Karen, you are more than welcome to your opinion, but want to give a little more background to your comment?


When we were all working towards trying to stop the fiasco that was decided on the golf course between the mayor and the sponsor of the bill, the humane society was right there pushing for what was passed. It started as no outright ban then to speuter everything then to the muzzles. They had closed door meetings that the committe and Mass Fed reps were supposed to attend and they basically did the same thing the San Fran HSUS and Bad Rap did to SF.

The MSPCA and HSUS in MA are not pit friendly at ALL. I know of a TT'd wonderful female that was transferred from the Peabody shelter (shelter closed) and was pts the next day because her dark eyes creeped the shelter mgr. out. The dog was on hold actually as a member of the BOD of the closed shelter was coming to pick her up.

As for their dog fighting crap did you know they still have an open file on Lou Colby? His dogs haven't been fast lane anythings for a good 40 years. And stuff they are looking for is stuff we all have.

Oh yeah! And the Doris Day foundation? Tak about a PeTA front!
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
User avatar
Karen
Confident Young Bully
 
Posts: 534
Location: NH

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2006, 11:24 am

wee, ok then... I see what you mean.

Seriously, thanks for the info, I didn't know about any of that.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 13th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Info that might've been helpful the first time around, instead of just making a rude remark. Just forwarding what "sounded" like a good thing. My apologies if it unknowingly offended you....
User avatar
SpiritFngrz
I live here
 
Posts: 2711
Location: Central Mass.

Postby SisMorphine » July 13th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Karen, I worked at MSPCA/Angell (in JP)and they were extremely pit-friendly. There were pit bulls in there for vet care everyday, and the pits in the shelter had a very high turnover rate for adoption. The shelter manager, Carmine, was a fantastic guy who did not descriminate based on breed, and neither did any of the shelter volunteers I had met So I'm not sure where you're getting that part of it from. Maybe some of the other facilities aren't that great (I don't know, I've never really dealt with them) but in JP pit bulls are welcomed.

As far as the bill is concerned:
I supported it during the first round of signature gathering. But after I was done I learned more about racing, what REALLY goes on, and how the dogs are treated, and I no longer believe that it should be shut down. There are some great kennel owners in MA who I would hate to see put out of business because of a group like Grey2K (the group sponsoring The Dog Protection Act) who is essentially a PETA-esque radical group, except dealing with only Greyhounds.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9233
Location: PR

Postby Karen » July 13th, 2006, 7:52 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Karen, I worked at MSPCA/Angell (in JP)and they were extremely pit-friendly. There were pit bulls in there for vet care everyday, and the pits in the shelter had a very high turnover rate for adoption. The shelter manager, Carmine, was a fantastic guy who did not descriminate based on breed, and neither did any of the shelter volunteers I had met So I'm not sure where you're getting that part of it from. Maybe some of the other facilities aren't that great (I don't know, I've never really dealt with them) but in JP pit bulls are welcomed.

As far as the bill is concerned:
I supported it during the first round of signature gathering. But after I was done I learned more about racing, what REALLY goes on, and how the dogs are treated, and I no longer believe that it should be shut down. There are some great kennel owners in MA who I would hate to see put out of business because of a group like Grey2K (the group sponsoring The Dog Protection Act) who is essentially a PETA-esque radical group, except dealing with only Greyhounds.


Seeing how the MSPCA has more than one branch the dog did not go to Jamaica Plain and this was 2 years ago and the woman running the shelter was transferred to TJO I have no idea what you are talking about. The woman we dealt with euthanized the dog basically upon intake of the transfer. That's a fact and we were told that branch doesn't adopt many pit bulls out period. 2 different places.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
User avatar
Karen
Confident Young Bully
 
Posts: 534
Location: NH

Postby SisMorphine » July 13th, 2006, 9:47 pm

I know who you are talking about. The woman was not "transferred" to TJO because TJO is not an MSPCA run facility (though apparently a common misconception). She was let go from the MSPCA and them took over TJO. People seem to lump them together. TJO and the MSPCA are two totally different facilities, no connections.


UPDATE:
I just read on my Greyhound board that the court turned this down and it will not be going to ballot.

"The Supreme Judicial Court just decided that the intiative to end dog racing, which was scheduled to go on the Massachusetts ballot in November, was unconstitutional. The initiative, "The Dog Protection Act", included dog racing, dog fighting and the protection of police animals."

Here is the link. ( http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtsandjud ... cialcourt/ ) I have not looked at it yet because I have to turn off my pop up blocker to do so, but this is what was posted on my Greyhound board. Click on "opinions" and apparently the verdict is there.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9233
Location: PR

Postby a-bull » July 13th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I've worked with the MSPCA in my area in Massachusetts and not only are they pit-friendly, but most of the dogs most of the time are pitbulls and pit mixes.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby a-bull » July 14th, 2006, 10:49 am

SisMorphine wrote:I know who you are talking about. The woman was not "transferred" to TJO because TJO is not an MSPCA run facility (though apparently a common misconception). She was let go from the MSPCA and them took over TJO. People seem to lump them together. TJO and the MSPCA are two totally different facilities, no connections.


UPDATE:
I just read on my Greyhound board that the court turned this down and it will not be going to ballot.

"The Supreme Judicial Court just decided that the intiative to end dog racing, which was scheduled to go on the Massachusetts ballot in November, was unconstitutional. The initiative, "The Dog Protection Act", included dog racing, dog fighting and the protection of police animals."

Here is the link. ( http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtsandjud ... cialcourt/ ) I have not looked at it yet because I have to turn off my pop up blocker to do so, but this is what was posted on my Greyhound board. Click on "opinions" and apparently the verdict is there.


What was turned down was placing the question on the November ballot~that's all.

The SJC ruled that combining the dog-racing proposal with the attempt to increase penalties for dog fighting, abuse, etc. violates the state constitution that disallows initiatives regarding unrelated subjects.

The link you provided above probably explains it in legal lingo. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby Sue » July 14th, 2006, 12:59 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I know who you are talking about. The woman was not "transferred" to TJO because TJO is not an MSPCA run facility (though apparently a common misconception). She was let go from the MSPCA and them took over TJO. People seem to lump them together. TJO and the MSPCA are two totally different facilities, no connections.


I remember her too.... Big uproar when she went to TJO, a lot of the volunteers left - and a TON of dogs were killed for STUPID reasons. If I remember correctly, she was hired by the town for the TJO position, but wasn't it on the rec. of the MSPCA? I could be wrong... I still have all the old emails, that I can go through when I get home.
Sue
Bull Meister
 
Posts: 1389


Return to North East

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

cron