Getting a dog to eat?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » July 11th, 2006, 8:32 am

Okay, does anyone have tips on getting a dog to eat?

I have a boarder who is ancient (like 14), totally blind, weakness in hind end, and a real sweetheart. Her owner brought her regular kibble and some cooked up meat and carrot mush. The dog will not even lick it (I am beginning to wonder if her sense of smell is gone). I have tried to get her to drink chicken broth. Nothing. Super stinky canned food, cheese, she will eat nothing. She is drinking, but definitely not eating.

Any other suggestions prior to force feeding her (which I don't really want to do to such an elderly dog, the stress is pretty high)? I'm going to pick up some A/D and baby food today . . . but this is just getting rediculous. This dog obviously should not have been boarded and I can't believe the owner felt this dog would be fine to board in this bad of condition (the last time the dog boarded was a year ago and was apparently nowhere near where it is now).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » July 11th, 2006, 9:00 am

its possible the stress from the kennel is holding back her desire to eat.. sometimes older dogs will do that.. can you bring her into your house to try to get her to eat?? maybe try some canned merrick?? i would also call the owner and tell her the dog is not eating..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 11th, 2006, 10:02 am

Maryellen wrote:its possible the stress from the kennel is holding back her desire to eat.. sometimes older dogs will do that.. can you bring her into your house to try to get her to eat?? maybe try some canned merrick?? i would also call the owner and tell her the dog is not eating..

I am definitely going to call the owner today (time difference right now, don't want to call too early), but bringing her up into the house is a good idea. I may also try to feed her out in the kennel yard because she LOVES being out there, exploring the fence line. So it's obviously less stressful to be out than in. Thanks!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » July 11th, 2006, 11:32 am

UPDATE:
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

I moved her out of a crate and into the pajama party room since it had emptied out this morning (small room with beds in it for older dogs, but with her being blind I didn't want to freak her out by making her share space with other dogs). I made her a VERY cushy bed on the floor and sat in there with her for a good half hour snuggling and petting her. I went and got some treats (stinky Meaty Bone type biscuits) and placed them next to her food. I left the room for a brief second to get another towel and when I came back she was eating the treats!! She wasn't eating her breakfast, but at least she's eating something. I am still going to pick up some canned A/D, and some canned and dry Euk Low-Res. Neither are the best as far as nutritional quality goes, but both are basically considered doggy crack and are easy on the tummy. As long as she's eating something, we're happy over here on this end. She's on Purina anyway, so it's not like it would be any different *eyeroll*
SisMorphine

Postby lipshipsattitude » July 11th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Well my heart goes out to you and the effort you are making. Wow she refused ALL those enticing treats, she is a stubborn one or in some miserable pain the poor thing. What about plain ole lunch meat turkey?
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 11th, 2006, 10:56 pm

It's good you got her eating! YAY!

the stress is probably the center of the problems...

How long is she going to be there?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 12th, 2006, 9:24 am

Have you gotten hold of the owner yet and ripped her a new one for not telling you about this poor pupper's issues?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Nutrition & Health