Sniffing

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby cheekymunkee » July 10th, 2006, 5:14 pm

The first thing that Munkee does when I am around other dogs is to sniff me, crazy sniffing, it is as if he is going to sniff the smell of them right off of me. He is pretty insistent about it too, I have even changed clothes so he would sniff them & leave me alone! The girls don't seem to care, they will sniff me a bit but are more interested in getting hugs. Munkee acts like a jealous husband!! Any idea why he does it & not the girls?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » July 10th, 2006, 5:20 pm

I don't know why, but all of mine do sniff, suck, snort, sniff! I find it quite annoying, and know exactly what your talking about. It's only when I visit a friend, or go to my mom's etc. ~ someone else's house that has a dog. Only one of my mother's dogs will do it though. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 10th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Yep, Satin does it, and so does my cat! If I go to my parents house and pet their cats Cleo is sniffing all over me when I come home.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby msvette2u » July 10th, 2006, 5:23 pm

I don't know, but around here, Yaeger is the designated sniffer. He is like a magnet to steel, sniffing up and down my pant legs when I would get home from work!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » July 10th, 2006, 5:47 pm

at least he is willing to be near you after you've spent time with another dog. if i come home after being with another dog, as soon as reba catches the scent, she looks disgusted and avoids me till she's either done being pissed or i change my clothes. likewise, i have to fight with her to get into my car if another dog has been in there recently.

tucker is curious, though, and he'll sniff like a crazy dog trying to figure out who i've been hanging out with . . . i think it's cute!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 10th, 2006, 8:21 pm

msvette2u wrote:I don't know, but around here, Yaeger is the designated sniffer. He is like a magnet to steel, sniffing up and down my pant legs when I would get home from work!!

Munkee does this too! He follows me until I sit down then gets in my lap sniffing. Sometimes I feel like he wants to pin me down with his legs on my arms so he can sniff me. And he takes these HUGE breaths, he sniffs with his whole body, then he snorts & starts over.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » July 10th, 2006, 8:37 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
msvette2u wrote:I don't know, but around here, Yaeger is the designated sniffer. He is like a magnet to steel, sniffing up and down my pant legs when I would get home from work!!

Munkee does this too! He follows me until I sit down then gets in my lap sniffing. Sometimes I feel like he wants to pin me down with his legs on my arms so he can sniff me. And he takes these HUGE breaths, he sniffs with his whole body, then he snorts & starts over.

Wally does the same thing.

The difference is, you guys see other dogs perhaps a few times a week. I have different dogs in the kennel every single day so ANYTIME I come upstairs from the kennel I get the sniff down. Annoying, I tell you, insanely annoying.

Halo doesn't do the sniff test . . . possibly the only annoying thing on the books that he DOESN'T do. *eyeroll*
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby lipshipsattitude » July 11th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Ha ha the other day I came home after petting a dog and I was trying to walk thorugh the house and her lil nose was like glued to my pant leg, I couldnt shake her and she butts me with her nose like "where have you been? Have you been cheating in me"? ha ha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 11th, 2006, 7:06 pm

rufus does that too, sounds like he is trying to sniff the other dogs smell off my clothes..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2006, 9:45 am

Ruby does it until I tell her "don't be rude" and then she goes away. This works for all sniffing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior