Training "DROP"

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 9th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Satin is so driven by play and she finds stealing things so funny that she does not know the drop command. If she steals something of mine, like a sock, to make a game out of it she clamps as hard as she can on it. The only way to get her to release it is to bring her over to the bathtub. (she detests baths). That is when she drops it. How can I teach her drop easier than this?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Marinepits » July 9th, 2006, 12:31 pm

If she's food-driven, use tasty treats -- she'll have to spit out whatever item she has to get the treat.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 9th, 2006, 2:12 pm

yah, good idea, that would probably work because toys don't work
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Marinepits » July 9th, 2006, 3:08 pm

It worked for all my piglets. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hoyden » July 9th, 2006, 6:17 pm

I used to trade Birdie a treat for what ever she had in her mouth that I wanted. And I worked that into having her pick things up for me when asked.

But that created another problem. If she wants a treat or attention, she will grab something she knows she isn't supposed to have and run around with it and won't give it back unless I give her a treat.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » July 9th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Hoyden wrote:I used to trade Birdie a treat for what ever she had in her mouth that I wanted. And I worked that into having her pick things up for me when asked.

But that created another problem. If she wants a treat or attention, she will grab something she knows she isn't supposed to have and run around with it and won't give it back unless I give her a treat.

:fastRoll: I'm sorry...but I can't help but laughing at that!!!

Don't you just love when you think you're doing the right thing, then it backfires.

I taught Sacha to out while doing bitework...I would choke her off the sleeve/tug, at the same time saying "Oy" (which is her out command). She figured it out....

I haven't even started with the puppy, yet....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rockermom » July 12th, 2006, 8:47 am

Hoyden wrote:I used to trade Birdie a treat for what ever she had in her mouth that I wanted. And I worked that into having her pick things up for me when asked.

Yeah treat trade works quite well.
Have exact same problem with Rocky as Hoyden has with Birdie. He steals for attention and wants a treat to give it up. So I had to change it to Im serious now, I want it back. I say the "what did you do" thing and then bring it to me "now". This usually works. He knows Im not playing. The kids however end up chasing him around till they can grab him and take it away. He just loves that game. Funny this topic was brought up cause it had gotten much better. Much less stealing untill all of a sudden the past week he started it up again. Since summer is here we have been going out for the day and Rocky had earned out of crate honors. Last 2 times we were out he found something to steal and chew apart. Where he found this stuff is beyond me. I had made sure the house was spotless.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 12th, 2006, 8:57 am

rockermom wrote: The kids however end up chasing him around till they can grab him and take it away. He just loves that game.

This is funny- Satin steals things just to play this game. If she steals a shoe she knows I'll go after it. Sometimes I can't help but laugh at her, and I know that eggs her on...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 12th, 2006, 9:08 am

Well then try the treat trade but bet she catches on to if I steal it and give it back I get a treat. But that is what we want to get it back. Which is why I had to change to Im not playin. ANd I dont give a treat when Im not playing but I do give a pet and a good boy when it is released. Unless it is a food item he is giving up or something of great value then I give a big deal.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 12th, 2006, 4:00 pm

i taught mine that when i say MINE they have to drop it.. i dont know how i did it, but i just started saying MINE when they had something and they would just drop it, if not i would take it from their mouths. i never traded for it... mine are just weird
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior