Pit bull friendly housing in Austin

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby Scruffybug » July 8th, 2006, 1:43 pm

I'm moving to Austin and the pickings appear to be slim for pit bull friendly housing. I've been told by several apt managers and apt locators that no apt in Austin accept pit bulls (or the other four aggressive breeds as listed by the AKC). However, I was contacted by Pat Faith, who has two pit bulls and lives in Austin. Pat lives at the Riata (http://www.riata.com) in NW Austin. Rent is ~$700/month and deposit is $400/pet. City transport is available to downtown Austin and the UT campus. Pat has requested that if anyone pursues a lease at the Riata to please tell the management that you were referred there by Pat. Pat offered to show me around the complex so if anyone else is interested let me know and I can pass on Pat's email address.

Cheers!
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby Maximus » July 9th, 2006, 8:07 am

Huh... that's strange. I was playing with the idea of moving to Austin for a minute, and in browsing through rental classifieds, I was surprised to come across a whole lot of "dogs allowed -- any size, any breed!" listings. A couple of friends of mine moved there recently and reported that Austin is a pretty pit bull-friendly city.

Also, I can't seem to find any listing from the AKC of "aggressive dogs." Where does that come from?
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby Scruffybug » July 9th, 2006, 9:53 am

Hello to you too!

The "aggressive breed" comments came from an apt manager and an apt locator that I spoke with over the phone.

True--there are "all breed" abodes in Austin but price is the key for me so that's been the excluding factor. Maybe I should have named this poor student and pit bull friendly housing?

Would you mind listing the "all breed" places you've found? That would be a big help.
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Return to Living with your Pit Bull