Hello from Kelli and Sam

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Scruffybug » July 5th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Hi--My name is Kelli and I'm a grad student in Microbiology at the Univ. of Oklahoma. My experience with pit bulls was unpleasant (attacked by one in high school) but changed altogether when I picked up Sam. I have habit of picking up strays and Sam was a good one--5 lbs, mange (no hair), a Staph infection (that lasted 7 months), parvo, and 4 intestinal parasites. Now he's over a year old, has most of his white hair, and loves to love and play. I'm moving to Austin in August and to an undecided location next May (probably Boston) so I've come here looking for advice on how to affordably accomodate Sam in Austin and thereafter. Although it is breaking my heart to do it, I also have to consider finding a new home for him given my uncertain future... :( I hope to get advice about that here too.
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » July 5th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Welcome to the list!!! I can't wait to see photos of your Sam!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 5th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Welcome! :wave: I'd love to see before and after pics of Sam!

Trust me, the people here will definitely do whatever they can to assist you in keeping Sam. Pets are lifelong companions here - we do what it takes to keep 'em!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » July 5th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you research about Boston and BSL before moving. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmyangels » July 5th, 2006, 10:15 pm

Welcome!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 5th, 2006, 10:55 pm

With forthought, you will be able to move with your dog. You'll need to commute to Boston, as they have enacted BSL.

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » July 5th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Hello and Welcome :) Best of luck with your situation!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Asta » July 6th, 2006, 3:48 am

Hello and welcome :wave: Best of luck with sorting your situation out!

Cheers,

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 6th, 2006, 8:34 am

Welcome! great story about Sam!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby muse » July 6th, 2006, 10:42 am

Welcome to the forum. I wish you luck on keeping Sam and I cant wait to see pics. :)
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Scruffybug » July 6th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the great welcome!! Here's a picture of Sam:

I'm in the process of finding housing for Sam and myself in Austin as well as a potential new home for him. I'll keep up the news here!
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 6th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Oh I love his eyes!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 6th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Hi there! I'm a graduate student as well. Soon-to-be 5th year in Pathobiology at Brown. Glad to have you here! Trust me, with some planning you can DEFINITELY move to Massachusetts with Sam. I'm about 30 min. down the Mass pike from Boston, and Sismorphine is from Mass. and lives there as well. We can surely give you advice in looking for a place to live with Sam.
Don't give up on him!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Scruffybug » July 6th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Awesome!!

I'm looking for foster homes as well for Sam for the next year as it appears that no apts in Austin take pit bulls and everything else is not optimistic based on my income. BUT I will graduate next August and then move on, likely to Boston, so your offer of help is greatly appreciated...my vet has offered to help find a foster home in the OKC area so things are looking up for Mr. Sam and I.
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 7th, 2006, 9:55 am

are you coming up this way for Biotech?
PhD or MS? I am on the job hunt starting probably in January.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Scruffybug » July 8th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I'm going for a post-doc...I've got an interview this fall in Boston. Just have to make it through the last leg of the journey---the dissertation.

What types of job are you looking for? How's the market there?
Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 8th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Sam looks very sweet
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Scruffybug » July 8th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Here are some pics of Sam taken after I found him (from my mobile):

Scruffybug
Just Whelped

Postby Asta » July 9th, 2006, 9:43 am

Oh my gosh!!! What a little Piglet he was ;) So tiny and so pink! Still keeping fingers, toes and paws crossed that it all works out :)

Cheers,

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » July 9th, 2006, 9:54 am

Welcome!!

A note about the BSL in Boston: it's only in Boston proper. Other cities that are considered Boston (ie: Cambridge, Somerville, Jamaica Plain, etc) do not have the the BSL issue. In Boston you have to have your dog muzzled out in public and you have to have a "dangerous dog" sign on your apartment/house. But on the outskirts you're cool.

Other than Boston I think there are only 2 or 3 towns that have some sort of BSL enacted, so for the most part it's pretty easy to move out here. Just stay away from apartment complexes and go for the houses with 2 or 3 apartments as they are far more likely to allow animals. The MSPCA also has some good info on their website as far as finding pet friendly housing.

Good luck with it all! And I, as did SpiritFngrz, definitely suggest moving here :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Next

Return to Introductions