Oh those sweet cocker spaniels...............

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby cheekymunkee » July 5th, 2006, 2:11 pm

too bad a sweet little boy & his family had to learn a hard lesson. :(

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/9467971/deta ... &qs=1;bp=t

Family Dog Mauls Boy

POSTED: 6:25 pm MDT July 4, 2006

July 4, 2006 -- A 3-year-old boy is recovering from dog bites to his face after the family dog attacked him on Monday evening. He's at his Lower Valley home with 9 stitches on his face, some right below his left eye.

Family members say the dog, named Killer, was a mixed breed who looked like a Cocker Spaniel.

They say Killer was eating when 3-year-old D.J. got close to him and the dog attacked.

"I never expected it, never. If I did I would have gotten rid of him a long time ago," said Margarita Salas, D.J.'s mother.

Salas says Killer was never aggressive. She says he was protective of her grandparents and stayed in their room most of the time.

Family members tried to pull Killer of D.J.'s face. His uncle managed to pull Killer off but was attacked as well.

"I just got him off. I started kicking and punching him. The second punch, he bit me," said Joe Reza, the victim's uncle.

The attack has taught Salas a lesson that she wants to share with other parents.

"Any kind of dog can end up attacking , whether it's big or small," said Salas.

She also resents that Killer was never neutered. As KFOX reported, dogs that have not been spayed or neutered are up to 3 times more likely to bite.

The owner of the dog was cited for not having the dog vaccinated. Animal Control picked up the dog Tuesday morning. No word yet if the dog will be put to sleep.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » July 5th, 2006, 2:22 pm

As KFOX reported, dogs that have not been spayed or neutered are up to 3 times more likely to bite.

Tsk tsk. Also letting a child play next to an eating dog is an invitation to disaster.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby muse » July 5th, 2006, 2:42 pm

I almost posted this as well. Ironic eh? :wink:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jesseca » July 6th, 2006, 1:59 pm

who the hell names a dog Killer? People are stupid
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » July 6th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I've heard some weird a$$ names at work, some people are so strange...

I find it pretty damn hard to believe that the dog bit the child without any previous warnings. I hate that they always say that; sorry, just because you were too oblivious and ignorant to know what a warning was, doesn't mean there wasn't was one.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » July 6th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Malli wrote:I've heard some weird a$$ names at work, some people are so strange...

I find it pretty damn hard to believe that the dog bit the child without any previous warnings. I hate that they always say that; sorry, just because you were too oblivious and ignorant to know what a warning was, doesn't mean there wasn't was one.

Malli

Exactly. You may have MISSED the signals but I can almsot guarantee........they were there all along.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » July 6th, 2006, 9:30 pm

The warning is "The dog is eating, leave him alone". :shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » July 7th, 2006, 4:42 am

my point is that this behavior had to have escalated and be encouraged (obviously not conciously) somehow. I just find it odd that the dog would out and bite a child so badly as to give him 9 (?) stiches with NO earlier warnings, y'know?
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmyangels » July 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Screwed up story. Ok...why in the world would you name your dog Killer? Why in the world would you not be watching your kid closer when the dog was eating? Sounds like there was more to this although the mother says she never expected this to happen. How many other times did the dog snap at the kid??
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 7th, 2006, 8:50 pm

With them naming the dog Killer I can just imagine how they treated it. I bet they teased the poor thing so that it would snap & act like a fool. They probably pushed it one time too many & it got them. A friend of mine used to have a mop like dog that was normally very sweet............until her son was around. He teased that dog constantly and Nick would snarl & snap in response. He finally got to the point that he did it almost every time someone came near him. :( He ended up biting the CRAP out of Clint but that didn't stop him.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » July 7th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Malli wrote:my point is that this behavior had to have escalated and be encouraged (obviously not conciously) somehow. I just find it odd that the dog would out and bite a child so badly as to give him 9 (?) stiches with NO earlier warnings, y'know?

Oh yeah - I know what you mean - a dog eating, who suddenly freezes when you approach, that is a warning. Or a lip curl. Like the others said, they probably treated him like crap - thought it was funny. Very sad :(
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL