trying to choose a sport/activity

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby babyreba » July 7th, 2006, 2:51 pm

As Tucker gets older, I'm trying to figure out what kind of sport or fun activity might be good to get him involved in. He's still working on obedience, so it'll probably be a while before he's ready, but it might be nice to start thinking about what direction to take him in . . . I also notice that he gets bored very easily with regular training sessions, so I thought it might be fun to kind of train toward a larger goal than just compliance--training with an activity in mind and integrating that into his routine might make it more fun for both of us.

He's the first dog I've ever owned that I've ever considered trying to do something more formal than hiking and camping with, so I think I need help finding something he's well suited for. Maybe you guys could help me out . . .

He's a mutt--pit bull mixed with spawn of satan, I think. But more likely, Jack Russell or some such terrier or maybe hound of some sort. He's 50 or so pounds, 8 months old, and I'll be he maxes out at 55/60 when he's an adult.

He's gracefully built but clumsy and can't seem to put one foot in front of the other without encountering problems. He runs into things, he falls off couches and beds, and he didn't learn to walk up and down stairs till he was about 5 months old. Poor dummy.

Like any dog, he can and will use his nose, but he actually seems to identify things more by sight--he loves to chase fast moving things like squirrels, birds, cats, leaves that blow in the wind, and bits of paper. I could probably hide a treat in his bedding and he'd never find it, but if a tiny speck of a bug flies within 15 feet of him, he'll see it and he's after it.

He loves his toys and LOVES to play tug. Loves. He is forever bringing me things and looking at me longingly to see if he can entice me to grab an end and engage in a game of tug.

LOVES flirt pole.

Loves to run, run, run. And run some more.

Tries hard and wants to cooperate during training, but he will shut down if he gets confused or overwhelmed and doesn't know how to react.

Very easily distracted!

What sport or fun activities do you all think he might be well equipped for, if any?

The one thing I think he'd do great at is lure coursing because chasing small things all over the damn place is his specialty, and we play "chase the dot" (laser dot) till he's ready to fall down . . . but I know lure coursing clubs seem to cater only to sighthounds.

Think there's hope for a very clumsy agility oaf? Maybe flyball if I can build his interest in tennis balls?

Any and all suggestions welcome!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby grizzly » July 7th, 2006, 9:41 pm

i think it would be in your best interest to attend a dog event with multible different sports. usally they have a novice or demo try to see if your dog excells or enjoys any of them. i will tell you any sport you choose your dog will love because when we compete and train our dogs we spend way more time with them than we would with just a pet.me- i would try to talk you into weightpulling because thats what i do.
but it sounds liked flyball might be up your alley.
but don't forget to try weight pulling.

oh yeh-bull-ympics has a wide variety of sports and i believe you can try all sports. see the website for details.
and don't forget to try weight pulling!!!

Rob
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 8th, 2006, 9:39 am

here are some ideas for you

agility

rally-o

flyball

tracking

pups are often clumsy until they learn where their back end is LOL

If you go to my online agility puppy class there are things to help build up the dog's body awareness
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... ne+agility
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Sports