I'm starting to see

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby concreterose » July 6th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Why Vicki doesn't care for Solomon. It's really weird, and I am just seeing it, but he is obviously going to be higher ranking over her, even though he isn't pushy or obvious about it. Some things I've noticed.
She lets him go down stairs and out the door ahead of her. I still feed her, and walk her/play with her first though. He's still not allowed on any furniture or the beds.

She will sniff his hind parts, and face, and he doesn't care...he actually really likes her, I can tell, and is very confident around her. However, she stiffens up when he sniffs her rear too long and gets somewhat defensive...I see her hackles go up and her lip will turn. I catch her as much as possible when she stays calm when he sniffs her and reward her for allowing him to sniff her without snapping. The other day, he was sitting behind her, and started humping (while he was sitting). She didn't see him, but I did, and made him stop and lie down. I don't want him humping her, there will be a big mess, because she won't have it!

At any rate, I think she is really uncomfortable figuring out her position with him, and she has been kind of clingy, melancholy around me. She has also began throwing a fit when I put her up for work...my sister tells me that she raises hell in my room after I leave, howling and throwing herself against the door, even though she has chews and stuff in there. She's not tearing anything up or being destructive, though.

I am making the transition as easy as I can for her without coddling her. I give her plenty of one on one time, where it's just me and her. She gets all priviledges such as being on furniture, sleeping with me, etc. Is this something that will pass as she gets used to him being here, or is there something else I should (or should not) be doing?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » July 7th, 2006, 4:54 am

what about some strict obedience for both?

maybe that will help? It should build up her cofidence a little...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2006, 6:30 am

I agree with Malli....sometimes giving a dog something to do (that it can do well in) raises it's confidence.

Is Vicki intact? If not, did you get her before her first heat. Some females who have gone through a heat cycle or have been bred before will not take it when a male tries to sniff them when they aren't in heat (heck, Nisha will go after a male even when she's in heat....same thing with my trainer's female)....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2006, 8:11 am

how long have you had him?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » July 7th, 2006, 8:22 am

she could be confused about her position. if he has that much calmness and "statelyness" and will be higher then her, she could be pouting per say as she is losing her position in the house since she can sense he will be over her... i think it will probably take a couple of months for things to settle down, and like others said, maybe give her more obedience or even a job to boost her confidence..

katrina vicki is spayed..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » July 7th, 2006, 1:49 pm

mnp13 wrote:how long have you had him?

Two months.

Malli wrote:Plwhat about some strict obedience for both?

maybe that will help? It should build up her cofidence a little...

Malli

Please define what you mean by 'strict' obedience. Both of them have to work for everything. They don't get anything unless they 'do' something.
Vicki in particular, is very obedient. She willingly offers behaviors when she wants something.

Vicki was spayed when she was a year old.

I had them both outside together today. Solomon sniffed Vicki (politely). I instantly praised her, and her tail started wagging. She laid in the grass and let him roam around her without becoming tense. She is starting to use a lot of calming behaviors. Maybe it will just take more time for her to get used to him. He very much wants to play with her, but I won't allow it yet.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Maybe they are just getting past the "honeymoon stage" and she is starting to realize that he's not going anywhere so she's ticked off.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » July 7th, 2006, 6:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:Maybe they are just getting past the "honeymoon stage" and she is starting to realize that he's not going anywhere so she's ticked off.

I was thinking the same thing!
He also just started sleeping in my room, which probably has pissed her off.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 7th, 2006, 11:04 pm

that is probably why.... you are allowing him to sleep in your and vickis sacred place.... give her another month or two and she should settle down that he is staying and she should get better, plus when you praised her for letting him sniff her that was great too... keep it up!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » July 7th, 2006, 11:20 pm

I guess it depends on you and how you want to handle it, but we give our "alphas" special priveleges like sitting or sleeping on the bed, etc. You can preserve her place/alpha status by doing stuff like that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior