Evanger's Vegetarian Diet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » July 4th, 2006, 12:10 am

Does anyone here have any experience with Evanger's? Once a week or so the boys get the canned Mackarel (whole). Sometimes I will give them the Duck or the Rabbit because it's basically whole (amazing for canned food) so I've been pretty impressed with the food so far.

Well today I stopped at a new pet store and saw they carried Evanger's. They had a can that the store I usually go to doesn't, the Vegetarian Diet. I bought it on curiosity as I'm always looking for new ways to add veggies to Wally's diet (Halo will eat anything, Wally will only eat meat and kale). The boys both ate it fine. I read the package and on it it says "Veterinarian Approved Complete Diet" and this can is for dogs AND cats!!! Bullpookie. That's what I say. No veggie diet can be 100% Give me a break. Especially not for cats.

I am so upset with this company right now. At least with the Wysong veggie diet they have a label that says it's not a complete diet just a supplement. This said nothing of the sort!!

I'm pretty ticked off right now at a pet food company that I thought had FINALLY gotten it close to right.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » July 4th, 2006, 12:31 am

Are these the ingredients!?

Ingredients:
WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, POTATOES, CARROTS, OAT GROATS, SUNFLOWER OIL, PEAS, BROWN RICE, TOMATOES, AVACADOS, BLUEBERRIES, CRANBERRIES, DRIED BREWERS YEAST, TAURINE, VITAMIN a ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, ASCORBIC ACID, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, PYRIODOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B12, SUPPLEMENT BIOTIN, FOLIC ACID, ZINC SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATED AND SODIUM SELENITE.

:shock: you're not even supposed to give avacados to cats OR dogs are you?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » July 4th, 2006, 1:03 am

msvette2u wrote:Are these the ingredients!?

Ingredients:
WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, POTATOES, CARROTS, OAT GROATS, SUNFLOWER OIL, PEAS, BROWN RICE, TOMATOES, AVACADOS, BLUEBERRIES, CRANBERRIES, DRIED BREWERS YEAST, TAURINE, VITAMIN a ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, ASCORBIC ACID, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, PYRIODOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, VITAMIN B12, SUPPLEMENT BIOTIN, FOLIC ACID, ZINC SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATED AND SODIUM SELENITE.

:shock: you're not even supposed to give avacados to cats OR dogs are you?

I think the fruit is okay in small quantities...the leaves are toxic in ANY quantity....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » July 4th, 2006, 7:59 am

It's the skin that toxic. The meat of Avacados is okay I believe (I know I used to feed the meat to foster rats to fatten them up).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » July 4th, 2006, 11:06 am

SisMorphine wrote:It's the skin that toxic. The meat of Avacados is okay I believe (I know I used to feed the meat to foster rats to fatten them up).

The tree itself is also toxic

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » July 4th, 2006, 11:44 am

SisMorphine wrote:It's the skin that toxic. The meat of Avacados is okay I believe (I know I used to feed the meat to foster rats to fatten them up).

I didn't know that! I used to feed our rats our leftover chicken bones. They always loved them :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » July 4th, 2006, 8:32 pm

I don't know how any vegetarian diet for dogs or cats could be complete-- but I know other companies sell vegetarian diets. I remember rolling my eyes at them.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 5th, 2006, 6:54 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:I don't know how any vegetarian diet for dogs or cats could be complete-- but I know other companies sell vegetarian diets. I remember rolling my eyes at them.

I've known of several dogs that are allergic to protein products such as beef, chicken, turkey, venison, elk, fish, etc....Dogs with, obviously, severe allergies...for these dogs, vegetarian is the only way to go...

Now, I don't agree with people who are vegetarians and want their dogs to be vegetarians, too....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 6th, 2006, 2:48 pm

but they would need some protein supplement, wouldn't they?
Even people that are vegetarians need some protein, and a lot of them don't get enough.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 6th, 2006, 3:08 pm

With the exception of animals that are allergic to every meat source on the planet, no dog or cat should be on a vegetarian diet. It is completley unnatural.

As a suppliment, sure, why not? but as a full time diet? no.

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch1.php
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2006, 6:38 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:but they would need some protein supplement, wouldn't they?
Even people that are vegetarians need some protein, and a lot of them don't get enough.

You can get protein from other foods....dairy products, dried beans and peas, or tofu are excellent sources of protein, and dogs can eat this stuff....

I have met a dog that had to be on a vegetarian diet. His problem was that he couldn't handle the protein levels in meats, fishes, poultry. He was lacking in an enzyme needed to break down and use the protein....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 7th, 2006, 10:02 am

Yah, of course there are the extreme cases such as that....
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health