Choosing toys for new baby

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rottgrl » January 28th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I am bringing home a baby pit bull in a week, and I need a little assistance in choosing toys for her. I am especially looking for toys that we can play with together, like a tug.

I kinda feel silly since its not like Red is my first dog, but I am used to buying toys for my destructive Rottweilers (of coarse they all like something different.)

I know about the springpole and will be constructing something in the yard when the weather warms. And I do have some Kong toys, but I really wanted to get her something her own.

Any toy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby turtle » January 28th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Pit bull pups are destructive too! If you have Rotties, just buy the same type of toys. Each dog is different but bullies tend to be strong chewers.

Mine loves her Galileo bone and Original Durable Nylabones, she has stuffed toys but pulls the eyes out of them. She loves squeaky toys but de-squeaks them in a few minutes, both stuffed toys and squeaky toys are only given when I can keep an eye on her so she does not eat parts of them.

The "Cuz" ball squeaky toys in the big size are great and seem to last pretty well, the horrid squeak is gone in minutes but the toy is thick rubber. And of course there are Kongs, those last well.

I've also made some good toys by cutting off the legs of old blue jeans and tying a knot in them. Great use for the jean legs when you make cut offs. My dog also likes plastic soda bottles to chase and play with, I put the lids back on them so they are harder for her to pop. And I tie 3 or 4 of them together with a cotton rope and she runs around the yard shaking them, makes a ton of noise and she loves it.

Is that your new pup in your avatar? She's beautiful! Congrats!
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby rottgrl » January 29th, 2006, 12:15 am

Thanks gf tutle.....what you said is very helpful. I think I will just go pick up a few new toys just for Her Majesty so she has her own. I take a dog to work each day and then I make sure they have a couple of their "own" toys so they feel special and get something special to play with. Of coarse, with 6 Rotties, I have a toy box overflowing!

My rotties also love the empty soda bottles....and it does make lots of noise! And rope toys are fun for tug with me and with each other.

Yes, that is Her Majesty, Red in my avatar....the breeder just sent me new pics tonight of her with her ears done and untaped so I should change the avatar...but that will have to wait til I have more time on the computer....have a UKC Obedience trial tomorrow so I need to get to bed.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » January 29th, 2006, 12:28 am

I've found that my fosters LOVE Kongs, of any sort, especially when you fill them with some yummy stuffs. They each, also, picked a specific stuffy that they decided was their baby, and wasn't to be destroyed.

And the ever popular raw marrow bone makes an appearance for any dog than comes in this house.

Really anything you would get for a Rottie pup would be a good idea for a pit pup. Destructive little monsters. :loveU:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » January 29th, 2006, 2:10 pm

If she is a puppy puppy, I'd recommend against stuffed toys, the synthetic 'guts' are veyr bad for dogs of any age, but it could really stop up a puppy's system.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » January 29th, 2006, 8:30 pm

We got our puppy a puppy kong, it is blue and white, and puppy stuffing for it. My son is allergic to peanut butter so we can't get that kind or use PB in them.
Our puppy loves Bully sticks and I found that they last a long time and give her good chewing satisfaction!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby bullymommy » January 31st, 2006, 7:39 pm

rottgrl wrote:My rotties also love the empty soda bottles....

THANK GOD!!!! i thought chubbers was the only weird one LOL every dog owner i have talked to said no that their dog didnt chew on pop bottles and i was like really??? chub pulls them out of the garbage so he can play with them. and heaven forbid we forget to bury a 2 liter bottle he goes to town on those and carries it everywhere.
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » February 1st, 2006, 12:13 am

Ohhh, yes, all of mine over the years have loved those big 1 liter soda bottles!

You can do a few things to make them more interesting for the dogs. I have filled them with water and put the lid on tight, then it's heavy and they can't grab it as easily so they chase it all over the yard. This is not such a good idea inside since they will eventually get a tooth hole in it and then of course it leaks.

In the summer, we froze one with water in it and the lid on, that made a fun toy for a bit.

I also have put a small pebble inside of it with the lid on tight and that makes a rattling noise. You would want to keep an eye on them playing with that in case they rip the top off it and try to eat the pebble. Or you could put a piece of kibble in there, but none of my dogs have been able to remove the lid when it's screwed on tight.

And I use a liter soda bottle for my "lure" on the flirt pole, too. With the pebble inside for noise and the lid on tight so she can't grab it, it works great!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby rottgrl » February 1st, 2006, 12:36 am

LOL...we have done all of the various things to make those soda bottles more fun...but it seems that theyare quite content to play with them empty.

Thank you all for all the responses regarding toys. Her Majesty now has her own toy box full of toys! I got her a couple of big fluffy stuffies (with Valentines just around the corner they are everywhere and some are quite inexpensive), her very own red kong, two tug toys and I always have pig tails and knuckle bones for all the dogs.

Tomorrow night I will make her blanket. Thursday will be for bathing the girl I am showing, and maybe trying to bake some homemade dog biscuits (she also has her very own cookie cutter now) and Friday I will try to go to sleep early as it will be a very long Saturday. Yes, I am trying to keep very busy to make the time go by faster!

I got another picture of her now....with her new ears.....I call them her "evil ears". LOL
Of coarse, I can't figure out how to insert the pic, so you will all have to wait til I change my avatar and post again!

Stephanie[/img][/url]
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby rottgrl » February 1st, 2006, 12:54 am

I suppose I should explain the "Her Majesty" remark.....her registered name is "PR" Jhnsns Queen of Hearts" and her breeder is quite sure she will be treated like royalty here......is there another way to treat them???
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby bullymommy » February 1st, 2006, 3:39 am

awwww shes cute either way but heck im a huge fan of natural ears so im gonna say she was cuter with her long ears ;)

thanks for the ideas with the soda bottles!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rottgrl » February 1st, 2006, 6:51 pm

Yeah...I really liked her floppy big natural ears too, and I got kinda yelled at on another list. But I am not "buying" this little girl. Her breeder has seen me at shows for years now and when I expressed interest in a pup she said she would give me Red. I did ask about keeping her ears natural, but because they did not hang the same on both sides the breeder wanted them cropped. So, I didn't have much choice.

But I am thrilled either way to be getting her and I will spoil her in every other way.
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby bullymommy » February 2nd, 2006, 3:35 am

rottgrl wrote:Yeah...I really liked her floppy big natural ears too, and I got kinda yelled at on another list. But I am not "buying" this little girl. Her breeder has seen me at shows for years now and when I expressed interest in a pup she said she would give me Red. I did ask about keeping her ears natural, but because they did not hang the same on both sides the breeder wanted them cropped. So, I didn't have much choice.

But I am thrilled either way to be getting her and I will spoil her in every other way.

they would hate chub chub's ears then all the weird crap his ears do is hilarious though!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby spitbull » February 15th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Mine loves her Galileo bone and Original Durable Nylabones,

Be advised Nylabones are not good for strong chewers,sure they last,but the small splinter have been known to cause paratenitest{sp} I only give my dog the Kong type toys as the rubber seldom causes problems.Always watch your dog when it's having toy time accident can happen and the bull breeds are so pain tolerent it is often to late when we realize there is a problem.I also use natural fiber rope,cotton,sisal and hemp.I buy it at the local hardware store and cut and knot it myself this is the least expensive toy I can find.Cuz we all know these dog go through toy as fast as the go through food...... :|
spitbull
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » February 15th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Buster Cubes are great for mental stimulation.. plus marrow bones frozen with peanut butter in them..
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Pit Bull Talk