Update on Knuckles limping

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 6:24 pm

the liquid health 5000 you can buy online, no prescrption needed
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 6:33 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
The trainers never warned you that he's too young to do agility???

Actually there is nothing wrong with early agility training IMO when done properly and according to the age of the dog taking precautions.
Pupies can pretty much do it all w/ modifications.
So for example:
no full height equipment,
no jumps at their jump height and
no weave poles
until they are fully developed IMO

We only did a beginner agility class so it was nothing crazy such as high jumps or anything.

I am just wondering if there was something there already and it just set it off. Or it can just be that Cookie and Knuckles were rough housing a little too hard. I have to occasionally tell them to knock it off because they bite each others legs and plow each other over.

It is so hard to make a determination as to what it could be when you don't have a history. The best way I guess.....is to just do all the tests and rule things out. At least we have the tick serology out of the way and that came back negative. So I know I am not dealing with lyme disease or some other tick ailment.

This can get so expensive. But he is such a baby and I have to do everything possible to make sure he lives a happy and pain free life. Knuckles and I have been through so much. We have such a bond.
I look at him and give thanks that he is with me since he was confiscated from a drug house. At this point in his life he would probably be dead.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 6:34 pm

Maryellen wrote:the liquid health 5000 you can buy online, no prescrption needed

Great!!! Thanks for the info. Is there somewhere in particular you get it?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 6:39 pm

msvette2u wrote:If it is pano it would hurt all the time, not just when exercising. It is called the "traveling" bone disease and it usually only affects one leg at a time. Our GSD's both had it.
I agree about the age thing, they say not to run with your dog until they are 18mo/2yr(?) because their joints are still being formed and you can injure them if you run/jog with them too young.

His hips are definitely tender. I haven't ran with him at all. I don't think my joints can handle it anymore. lol
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 6:46 pm

i looked it up on the internet ,and found a company in nj that sells it.. you might be able to find a company closer to you .. its 36 oz , and is around $40- but it lasts for a loooong time. the 8oz synflex was lasting me 5 weeks.. this is lasting alot longer, and has more glucosomine in it..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 6:48 pm

Maryellen wrote:i looked it up on the internet ,and found a company in nj that sells it.. you might be able to find a company closer to you .. its 36 oz , and is around $40- but it lasts for a loooong time. the 8oz synflex was lasting me 5 weeks.. this is lasting alot longer, and has more glucosomine in it..

Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I will look to see if there is someone around me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 2nd, 2006, 7:11 pm

Don't beat yourself up over trying to second guess how or why. If it is HD t was nothing you did or didn't do. HD is genetic unless there is some sort of severe trama from what I'm told
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » July 2nd, 2006, 8:56 pm

luvmyangels wrote:
His hips are definitely tender. I haven't ran with him at all. I don't think my joints can handle it anymore. lol

I KNOW mine wouldn't. lol
Also, don't beat yourself up - sometimes things just happen...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 9:35 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Don't beat yourself up over trying to second guess how or why. If it is HD t was nothing you did or didn't do. HD is genetic unless there is some sort of severe trama from what I'm told

He has not had any severe trauma while he has been with me and he has been with me since he was 4 weeks old. Gosh that would have to be some severe trauma.

He seems content as he is laying next to me. :)
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 9:37 pm

[quote="msvette2u"/]

I KNOW mine wouldn't. lol
Also, don't beat yourself up - sometimes things just happen...[/quote]