Update on Knuckles limping

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » June 28th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Some of you may have seen my posts regarding Knuckles limping problem and how my vet only checked his front legs and not the back because I told her that is where I saw him limping.

Fast forward to this past Monday. I went to a vet that my trainer highly recommended which is about 45 minutes away from me. The vet did an examination and watched Knuckles walk and definitely saw there was a problem and when he checked his back legs noticed there was tenderness in his hips. Although he did not see the limping in the front he was concerned since I did see it that it could possibly be lyme disease. The person who rescued him would occassionally take him to her house which was further out east from me and there was a possibility he could have had a tick on him since when we got him he was too small for frontline. Well I told the vet let's rule this out and he did a Tick Serology and he also gave me an herbal supplement formula called hip guard. The tick serology came back really fast and I was happy to learn it was negative.

With ruling the above out we are not sure if he hurt himself rough housing and he keeps reinjurying it or if he has a genetic issue and without having a background on him we are not sure. He wants to see him back in 2 weeks to see if the supplements are helping. If not, we will have to sedate him and have x-rays done which is a last resort since he has to be sedated to do it.

Knuckles weighed in at 52.2 and has been on the Raw diet for 2 1/2 months and the vet said his weight was great!!!!

Thanks for listening.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 28th, 2006, 9:42 pm

its probably an old injury he keeps hitting, or maybe his hips.. paws and fingers crossed for knuckles!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 28th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Maryellen wrote:its probably an old injury he keeps hitting, or maybe his hips.. paws and fingers crossed for knuckles!!

I hope you are right. The other thing that concerns me a bit is that this all started after I was doing agility and a few people warned me to wait because he was not fully formed at that time. He was only 6 months when I started. We had stopped in the beginning of March due to my work schedule and the limping started a little bit after. It is definitely coming from his hips and we think he could have been off setting the pain and limping on his front leg.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 28th, 2006, 9:52 pm

I hope he is better asap. Keep us posted
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 29th, 2006, 7:52 am

I'm glad you found a vet you like. Keep us updated on poor Knuckles. And give him a scritch for me behind his ears!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ellie@ny » June 30th, 2006, 7:27 am

I hope everything will be alright!!!Let us know!!! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Attila Magyar » July 2nd, 2006, 12:20 am

He is pretty young to have those issues. I would for sure take it light till he is full grown. It can damage his young joints and when he gets old it will really show bad.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 10:02 am

i would have him put under and have his hips on both sides xrayed. jesse came up lame at 9 months old, xrays showed she has hip displasia inher left hip... i would stop the agility for now, and put him on joint medicine to help build cartilidge in his hips just in case..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 11:23 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I'm glad you found a vet you like. Keep us updated on poor Knuckles. And give him a scritch for me behind his ears!

Thank you.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 11:24 am

Attila Magyar wrote:He is pretty young to have those issues. I would for sure take it light till he is full grown. It can damage his young joints and when he gets old it will really show bad.

The hard part is that I have no background what so ever on him. He has been taking it easy and I don't plan to push him. He is a lap dog.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 11:27 am

Maryellen wrote:i would have him put under and have his hips on both sides xrayed. jesse came up lame at 9 months old, xrays showed she has hip displasia inher left hip... i would stop the agility for now, and put him on joint medicine to help build cartilidge in his hips just in case..

I have not done any agility since February. We only did a 6 week class which started mid January which was right after getting him cleared up with the demodectic mange. I think the agility helped since it was an outlet although I am not sure if we screwed something else up. I first saw the limping at the beginning of March.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 2nd, 2006, 11:29 am

what is in the natural suppliment he is taking?

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby ellie@ny » July 2nd, 2006, 11:29 am

luvmyangels wrote:
Maryellen wrote:i would have him put under and have his hips on both sides xrayed. jesse came up lame at 9 months old, xrays showed she has hip displasia inher left hip... i would stop the agility for now, and put him on joint medicine to help build cartilidge in his hips just in case..

I have not done any agility since February. We only did a 6 week class which started mid January which was right after getting him cleared up with the demodectic mange. I think the agility helped since it was an outlet although I am not sure if we screwed something else up. I first saw the limping at the beginning of March.

The trainers never warned you that he's too young to do agility??? :|
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 11:34 am

knuckles could also have Pano now too. some dogs get it at this age.. it does go away, but you shouldnt push him...

ellie- i had rufus doing agility at 6 months old at training school just for fun, and his hips are ok.. i think knuckles might have something going on w/ his hips either HD or pano maybe...

maryann- xrays will show if he has hip displacia, which is why i suggested you getting them xrayed now, so that if he does have this you can start supplementing now..

jesse has been on glucosomine since 9 months old, she is now 5, and can run like a demon and hasnt limped since she was diagnosed.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 11:41 am

Maryellen wrote:knuckles could also have Pano now too. some dogs get it at this age.. it does go away, but you shouldnt push him...

maryann- xrays will show if he has hip displacia, which is why i suggested you getting them xrayed now, so that if he does have this you can start supplementing now..

jesse has been on glucosomine since 9 months old, she is now 5, and can run like a demon and hasnt limped since she was diagnosed.

When I go back to see the vet which is in 2 weeks I will push the issue and see if he will do it. He also wants to see if the herbal supplement is helping.

I try not to do much with him because even when we take our long walks he comes back limping. So I have cut out the long walks too. Thank goodness he is so mellow or I would be in trouble not giving him enough exercise. I have just been taking it really easy with him. In fact right now he is on the deck sunning himself. That is his favorite past time.

I felt bad for Knuckles when we went to the vet he got so upset he threw up and when we went outside he had diarrhea. He stresses way to easy.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 2nd, 2006, 11:49 am

Maryellen wrote:knuckles could also have Pano now too. some dogs get it at this age.. it does go away, but you shouldnt push him...
ellie- i had rufus doing agility at 6 months old at training school just for fun, and his hips are ok.. i think knuckles might have something going on w/ his hips either HD or pano maybe...

Yes I agree,but if you can,don't do it IMO...It can cause other injuries as well...My friend does it with her Min. Pinch as well since he was 5-6 months old pup,and he's fine too,but I would not risk it. :|

But I'm hoping that Knuckles will be fine!!!! :)
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 2nd, 2006, 12:20 pm

If it is pano it would hurt all the time, not just when exercising. It is called the "traveling" bone disease and it usually only affects one leg at a time. Our GSD's both had it.
I agree about the age thing, they say not to run with your dog until they are 18mo/2yr(?) because their joints are still being formed and you can injure them if you run/jog with them too young.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 2nd, 2006, 1:19 pm

The trainers never warned you that he's too young to do agility???

Actually there is nothing wrong with early agility training IMO when done properly and according to the age of the dog taking precautions.
Pupies can pretty much do it all w/ modifications.
So for example:
no full height equipment,
no jumps at their jump height and
no weave poles
until they are fully developed IMO

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

if he is limping after taking long walks then there is somethng going on there.. i would not walk him very much or let him run around for now until you go back to the vet. the only perfect way to check with xrays is if knuckles is sedated, so that the vet can position his legs properly for the xrays and have him limp... i would also switch him to a liquid form of glucosomine, as pills dont get into the system as quick... you can give him either Syn Flex, or Liquid Health 5000.. mine are on the liquid health 5000 and are doing great on it.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » July 2nd, 2006, 6:23 pm

Maryellen wrote:if he is limping after taking long walks then there is somethng going on there.. i would not walk him very much or let him run around for now until you go back to the vet. the only perfect way to check with xrays is if knuckles is sedated, so that the vet can position his legs properly for the xrays and have him limp... i would also switch him to a liquid form of glucosomine, as pills dont get into the system as quick... you can give him either Syn Flex, or Liquid Health 5000.. mine are on the liquid health 5000 and are doing great on it.

The vet did say he was going to sedate him to do the xrays. Where do you get the liquid health 5000? Do you need a script?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health