How Long did it take you to train your puppy?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby shea » June 29th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Im wondering because it only took me 2 days to train mine. She is such a smart dog. I was wondering what it took the rest of you to train your dogs just out of curiosity. I've had her for 3 weeks and not one single accident. And the person I got her from hadn't trained her. So its either she's really smart or I'm a good trainer. Im gonna stick with her being really smart though. hahaha
shea
Just Whelped

Postby shea » June 29th, 2006, 5:50 pm

oops meant to say. House Breaking... Training!
shea
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 29th, 2006, 6:30 pm

ok, you have an adorable puppy and you put that up for your avatar? :crazy:

It took me over a month to house break Ruby, but she was 10 months old when I got her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » June 29th, 2006, 6:54 pm

I think every dog is different,with Maya it took a month,and with none experience from her side,Nico came already trained.
But IMO when a pup has been raised outside,those are so much trainable,because the house is for them a temple... :D
I had my first dog who was borned outside,and NEVER had an accident with her,of course when they're little, you have to take them out many-many times...But I was very lucky with her.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby shea » June 29th, 2006, 7:00 pm

mnp13 wrote:ok, you have an adorable puppy and you put that up for your avatar? :crazy:

It took me over a month to house break Ruby, but she was 10 months old when I got her.

haha yeah Its the only 100 x 100 picture I have. I use it for my poker avatar. If you can resize one of those pics for me. I would really appreciate it.
shea
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 29th, 2006, 7:42 pm

shea wrote:
mnp13 wrote:ok, you have an adorable puppy and you put that up for your avatar? :crazy:

haha yeah Its the only 100 x 100 picture I have. I use it for my poker avatar. If you can resize one of those pics for me. I would really appreciate it.

Oh thank God - that thing's just kinda creepy!

Inara actually seemed to catch on pretty quickly - we only had a few accidents. Then she hit 6 months, and for like one week she began peeing in the house again. But only for a week. :| No problems since. *knock on wood*
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby rockermom » June 30th, 2006, 8:15 am

We got Rocky from shelter when he was 4 months. I was told he was not house trained.But once I showed him where the door was within hours he started to stand by the door when he needed to go. The first day here He had the runs bad and it just came out of him like water so he had one accident of that which I dont count since it was beyond his control. Then he had one pee acident on the floor in front of the door peeing on his way out. Since his first few days here he has always been great about letting us know he has to go. I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but Rocky is a very smart dog.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 30th, 2006, 9:27 am

Munkee learned pretty quickly but I didn't think Justice would ever catch on.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 30th, 2006, 3:22 pm

I never really thougt about it but it only took Rory like 5 days but it took her a week or two to learn the bell trick. I hung a bell by the back door and ised her paw to ring it before we went out to potty so even now if she has to go out she rings her bell. We did have a small problem with it for a while when she used to ring it if the wind blew, a dog barked, or she just wanted to be a pain but that was during her 9 month old regression period!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 30th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Potty training Sacha was AWFUL!!!! I hated every minute of it. Nisha caught on VERY quickly. Just a couple of days.

Nisha never has accidents in the house....I am expecting one in the next couple of weeks, though...it's her first heat cycle...dogs typically get confused at that time...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » June 30th, 2006, 4:19 pm

If I remember correctly Oscar was 95% in about a month.

I wonder if it's easier to potty train a slightly older dog? We got Os at just over 6.5 wks...

He had a few accidents until he was about 6 or 7 months, and he lifted his leg once at my friend's house, but it turned out their intact male dog had been marking all over since they moved in...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby grizzly » June 30th, 2006, 7:23 pm

ther is alot of tricks the breeder can do when raising the litter to help install the "go potty OUTSIDE" part
when my pups are started on puppy food for the first time they are removed from the house and into a kennel
in the kennel they can get into a building but they only have enough room to sleep.
they automaticly go potty out side
when i get a new pup i first give them a couple months outside in a kennel to get them used to that as there home/bathroom
of corse i spend lot of time ith my pups put by giveing them that time in the kennel its always home for them -when they do come inside they respect it much more and already think the place to potty is in the kennel.
the kennel is such a great tool-when i go to work the dogs are in the kennel- nothing is every destroyed or damaged , no pee or poo in the house and if i'm running late from work there is no accidents just wagging tails happy to see me !
all the in house time is under my direct supervision when i'm home.
some people who have gotten saints from me could not believe the ease of potty training - like you have had
maybe your breeder did some of these tricks and didn't realize
i know sints are capible of big damage if not trained well and i'm sure pitties arn't any differnt
what ever your doing keep up the good ruitine if its working!!!
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bahamutt99 » July 1st, 2006, 6:01 am

Loki learned probably within a week. At least she got the jist of it. She still had to overcome this irresistable urge to pee on anything soft (like our bed, car seats, etc). And the first time it was raining, she kinda stuck her head out the door and decided that she was "outside enough," and peed right there on the landing. But mostly she seemed to understand the idea. Inside bad, outside good.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » July 1st, 2006, 8:34 am

It took me a long time to thoroughly train Knuckles because he would have accidents. It took 9 months. But a lot of it had to do with stress.

Every other dog that has come through my house is trained within a maximum of a week.

My older dog was trained within a day and had only one accident. Cookie was 5 months when I got her and she went to the bathroom outside from day one.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby turtle » July 1st, 2006, 4:21 pm

shea wrote:

Yes that thing creeps me out! Please put your cute pup as your avatar.

As far as housebreaking, each dog is different but most of mine have caught on pretty fast. It depends too on the age of the pup, the really young ones can't hold it for long.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 2nd, 2006, 10:03 am

jesse took a month to housebreak, sonny came housebroken already, and rufus took a month to housebreak also.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby bouvierz » July 2nd, 2006, 11:33 pm

My Pit "Spanky" whom Ive had since he was 4weeks old was 6 months old before he was house broken. He was terrible. He would go potty in the house even after going outside. But once he was housebroken I never had a problem. I crate train all my dogs and it really works. :D
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior