New TDI Requirement

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Romanwild » January 27th, 2006, 4:05 pm

TDI just added a children requirement to the test. I beleive it needs to be a few kids up to the age of 13.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 27th, 2006, 4:21 pm

That's kinda stupid.

Some dogs are not good with kids, so would not be taken around kids.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Image1 » January 27th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Where did you hear that?
Image1
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 27th, 2006, 6:51 pm

I actually think it is a good thing. I always say kids are a big help in training and socializing dogs. If a dog is kid proof you've got a great dog.

I doubt it means they have to have kids all over them so even a dog who is not so fond of kids will probably be fine. I have to take a peek at the new testing part. Also once the dog passes you don't have to actually work with kids unless you choose to do so

They have updated other things on the test in the past . I think they are just looking out for the clients and their libility so I totally understand this new addition.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Romanwild » January 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm

The "test givers" that are doing my clubs testing read it at our training last night.

It makes sense to me because that would qualify the dog for all types of therapy.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Image1 » January 27th, 2006, 7:56 pm

It makes sense to me. I just hadn't heard about it before.
Image1
Just Whelped

Postby Hoyden » January 28th, 2006, 3:40 am

Totally makes sense to me.

You can borrow my Gremlin any time to be a test kid.

She is four years old and loves dogs. Has had the "Dog Safely Rules" drilled into her head since she started to crawl.

I almost died last month when a lady asked her what pretty little girl like her was doing with a pitbull. Cailin looked straight at the woman, pointed at her chipped tooth and said, "She doesn't bite, but I do".
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 28th, 2006, 9:08 am

Hoyden wrote:
I almost died last month when a lady asked her what pretty little girl like her was doing with a pitbull. Cailin looked straight at the woman, pointed at her chipped tooth and said, "She doesn't bite, but I do".

Oh My gosh that is toooo funny! GO Cailin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2006, 10:17 am

Hoyden wrote:I almost died last month when a lady asked her what pretty little girl like her was doing with a pitbull. Cailin looked straight at the woman, pointed at her chipped tooth and said, "She doesn't bite, but I do".

What a rude, nasty thing to say!!!

Your daughter sounds like quite the pistol!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » January 28th, 2006, 11:39 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:
Hoyden wrote:

Oh My gosh that is toooo funny! GO Cailin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

The kid is sharp, she doesn't tolerate anyone making incorrect statements about pitbulls or making nasty comments about them.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » January 28th, 2006, 11:40 am

mnp13 wrote:
Hoyden wrote:I almost died last month when a lady asked her what pretty little girl like her was doing with a pitbull. Cailin looked straight at the woman, pointed at her chipped tooth and said, "She doesn't bite, but I do".

What a rude, nasty thing to say!!!

Your daughter sounds like quite the pistol!

The child is hell on feet.

She looks like Shirley Temple, but she really is the Bride of Chucky.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 12:26 pm

That is a great comeback. Good for her to be on her toes and to respond to someone so nasty.

My two puppies love the kids because they are being brought up with them. I think that is a great addition to the TDI requirements.

Teddy my older dog tolerates the kids but hates if they try and hug him. He was here before the kids and I give him a lot of credit to tolerate them.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 28th, 2006, 1:13 pm

luvmyangels wrote:

That is a great comeback. Good for her to be on her toes and to respond to someone so nasty.

My two puppies love the kids because they are being brought up with them. I think that is a great addition to the TDI requirements.

Teddy my older dog tolerates the kids but hates if they try and hug him. He was here before the kids and I give him a lot of credit to tolerate them.

Petey was 5 years old when Cailin was born and I don't know what I would have done with out him.

He bonded with her before she was even born. We told him that she was "his Baby" and "his Buddy" when I was pregnant.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/hoyden2894/Doggies/Picture_13_3.jpg

I ended up with permanent nerve damage during child birth and came home unable to walk or take care of myself. He used to fetch things for me, throw away diapers, retrieve dropped toys and bottles and took it upon himself to be the baby soother. No matter how fussy she was, she would calm down when he put his head next to her, she used to hold onto his ear.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/hoyden2894/Doggies/Picture_20_2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/hoyden2894/Doggies/Picture_15_4.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/hoyden2894/Doggies/Picture_23_2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/hoyden2894/Doggies/Picture_20.jpg

We seriously thought about doing therapy work with him because so many of our older clients love him so much. But he will not walk on a leash. He will bounce on a leash, but not walk.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Pitcrew » February 4th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Yep... the testers notified me last week about that new rule.

Good idea or not... the way they do it sounds kinda stupid, because the dog isnt to go anywhere near the child. The child doesnt interact with the dog at all and is just in the crowd scene.

So a dog testing doesnt REALLY have to be "good" with kids, just under control and tollerant.

If a dog doesnt like kids and reacts aggressively to a child not looking at him, or confronting him, from a distance of at least 10 feet I would definitely fail him.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior