water

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Romanwild » June 27th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Let's see if one of you can answer me this.

I have used a Brita filter just for the dogs for a long time. I recently stopped and have been using tap water. There're consumption has doubled.

Is this good or bad?

Is it the chlorine?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 27th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I'm not sure. Could it be that its summer and getting hotter? I'm interested in this as well, very well could be chloride hopefully someone will have a answer!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 27th, 2006, 8:55 pm

I agree it could just be because it is summer. I'd actually give Britta a call and see if they have a comment on it . If you do let us know what they say
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » June 27th, 2006, 9:02 pm

I agree that it could just be that it's summer...you're on the east coast, so I know how much hotter it has been....

I always give my dogs filtered water...they seem to turn their noses up at anything else.

Maybe ask your vet? Has anything else changed?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » June 27th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Do you have city water or well water?

We have well water that has a higher-than-normal concentration of salt. We use a Brita filter on the kitchen faucet and I've noticed the dogs will drink more if I fill their bowls from a faucet without the filter. Can they really tell that there is much more salt in the unfiltered water? :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Romanwild » June 27th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I think it's salt or the clorine that causes it. It wasn't the weather.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 27th, 2006, 10:49 pm

I use Brita water and Wally rarely ever sticks his nose in the water bowl.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » June 28th, 2006, 12:41 am

Our dogs are used to well-water and won't drink city water, they hate the smell of the chlorine. We have to take home water when we go places.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 28th, 2006, 9:25 am

We have town water from a well. It is treated with chlorine and does smell. No filter. before living here he would have been getting water from a great water source. Rocky does not drink much at all. I often give him ice cubes to make up for it. Maybe I should try britta. I think I have an old britta pitcher I forgot I had. Do dogs like chlorine taste smell?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 28th, 2006, 9:33 am

We give the filtered water out of the refrigerator tap on the front of the fridge. Never tried anything else, but interesting idea. Yah, I wonder if a higher salinity in the faucet water makes them want to drink more
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health