Food / Air Allergies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 12:29 pm

is it possible for a dog to get allergies at 2 years old, rather then when born? or does the allergies come about when born??
reason why i am asking, jesse was FINE until she hit 2 years old.. she NEVER had red ears as a puppy growing up, was eating pedigree or purina, and never had yeasty ears.. Since she hit 2, thats when all the problems started. now wouldnt the allergies show when she was a puppy??? or do the symptoms show when they are maturing?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 20th, 2006, 12:44 pm

it seems to me they can start at any time. Munkee's didn't develop until he was at least two. I don't think they are born with them, I think they develop over time as they are exposed to more & more things.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » June 20th, 2006, 1:06 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:it seems to me they can start at any time. Munkee's didn't develop until he was at least two. I don't think they are born with them, I think they develop over time as they are exposed to more & more things.

I don't know how different dogs are from humans on this, but this is exactly how it develops in humans. Most people might show slight reactions to a bee sting the first time, but not until the 3rd or 4th go into anaphylactic shock.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 20th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Exactly what cheeky said. :D
It is actually less often that you see allergies in very young dogs. (from what I hear, I am no expert)
I know people can develop allergies at any point throughout their life, I suspect the same holds true with dogs.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » June 20th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Have you tried feeding her some raw local honey?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 23rd, 2006, 4:40 pm

Rory is 18 months and gets allergies. The vet dosnt know if its from grass, bugs, or the air but she breaks out in small hives right abover her bum and she gets a red rash on the inside of her legs and undercarriage. I stay on top of her Adantage incase its a reaction to flea bites but when she does get them (maybe once a month) I giver her a bit of benadryll the vet reccomended. That was after I went in and they gaver her a benny shot for $27....ugh!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 23rd, 2006, 4:48 pm

$27? Yikes! :o I guess I'm lucky my vet gave me a vial of injectable hydrocortisone to have on hand in case I absolutely need it. I was worried about an allergic reaction to the allergy shots she gets. So far its all good.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 23rd, 2006, 4:55 pm

Wow what vet do you go to, haha? Yeah she was like "oh it looks like she has some hives, I'm just gonna giver her a lil shot to ease her irritation"....she made it sound like oh no biggie but besides that she is a great vet and for some reason Rory just loves her to death so what can ya do huh?
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 23rd, 2006, 7:49 pm

i took jesse to the ER once when she ate a few bees, they gave her a needle to stop the swelling. $100 later i find out it was only benadryl....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 23rd, 2006, 8:11 pm

It's amazing to me how many vets will just overly-prescribe Benadryl. Early spring Nisha had some "goopy" eyes (they ended up getting infected)...but the goop was first due to seasonal allergies. The vet told me to give her Benadryl until "allergy season" was over.

Now, while some people might not mind the sedating effects of Benadryl. I, personally, don't want my puppy sedated (even if it would calm down the crackpot)...

When I started giving her the chicken thighs for dinner, her goop miraculously stopped. Many people, both on this board and others, have sang the praises of raw, many citing the fact that after starting to feed raw eyes cleared up, ears cleared up, etc...I have to agree....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health