Experience when looking for training place...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ellie@ny » June 21st, 2006, 4:08 pm

Ok,so I was looking for SCH training in my area,so I e-mailed some of them...I coudn't find a breed trainer,so these were all GSD,or Dobbie..etc trainers.
Responds: None,or they have NO INTEREST IN MY BREED.....
Without seeing any of my dog...
How nice!!! :clap:
Sorry,I just had enough.... :(
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 22nd, 2006, 10:36 am

ellie@ny wrote:Ok,so I was looking for SCH training in my area,so I e-mailed some of them...I coudn't find a breed trainer,so these were all GSD,or Dobbie..etc trainers.
Responds: None,or they have NO INTEREST IN MY BREED.....
Without seeing any of my dog...
How nice!!! :clap:
Sorry,I just had enough.... :(

Where did you look? DVG America is an ALL-BREED Schutzhund org in the US (in fact, memberships, etc still need to be sent to Germany for approval). I have had a lot of luck with the clubs down here. They were both MORE than willing to evaluate Sacha (my lab)....

If you're interested:

http://www.dvgamerica.com
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2006, 11:14 am

I would not suggest going to a trainer who has no experience with Bull breeds and is not willing to learn about them before training your dog.

You can not train a bully like a herder. Unfortunately many trainers are set in the "my way is the right way and the only way" and refuse to look into alternate methods for different breeds.

After my personal (and admittedly limited) experience with a few of these trainers, it's better to not train for the sport than train wrong.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 22nd, 2006, 11:33 am

mnp13 wrote:You can not train a bully like a herder. Unfortunately many trainers are set in the "my way is the right way and the only way" and refuse to look into alternate methods for different breeds.

After my personal (and admittedly limited) experience with a few of these trainers, it's better to not train for the sport than train wrong.

Many of the DVG clubs in the US have bully breeds...and many of the training directors and helpers are experienced working many different breeds...that is one of the things I love about DVG...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2006, 11:35 am

katiek0417 wrote:
mnp13 wrote:You can not train a bully like a herder. Unfortunately many trainers are set in the "my way is the right way and the only way" and refuse to look into alternate methods for different breeds.

Many of the DVG clubs in the US have bully breeds...and many of the training directors and helpers are experienced working many different breeds...that is one of the things I love about DVG...

That's cool, but I just wanted her to make sure it's something she looks for. That trainer should have worked a few bullies to titles as well, not just trained them.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I'd like you to benefit from my bad experiences!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 22nd, 2006, 3:02 pm

mnp13 wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:

That's cool, but I just wanted her to make sure it's something she looks for. That trainer should have worked a few bullies to titles as well, not just trained them.

I don't know if I agree with that. Every trainer can't possibly title EVERY dog. It could be that the trainer doesn't own that kind of dog, and never has. From experience, I also know that a dog performs as well as the handler. If the handler/owner isn't working the dog as it should be worked, then whose fault is that?

My trainer has titled more dogs in PSA than any other handler. If I go out and trial Sacha, and she doesn't title, is that HIS fault, or MINE? It's my fault. I always say that Sacha's biggest downfall is me. Despite knowing this fact AND knowing that it is very likely that my trainer would title Sacha on his first try if he were handling, I still don't want him to do it.

I'm not an owner that, despite my inconsistencies as a handler, wants someone else to handle my dog. There are many out there like me. So, saying that a trainer should've worked bullies to titles isn't fair. It's not entirely up to the trainer....if the dog has potential, but the handler musses it up....well....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2006, 3:15 pm

I was not clear - the trainer or someone who has trained under him should have titled a dog. (what I meant, not what I said).

If you title Sasha, having trained under him, I would consider him to have "trained" her to a title. Yes, if she doesn't title that could be entirely your fault, but there is also a level of responsibility of the trainer in my opinion. You are a unique case, as there are very very very few labs doing bitework and I doubt 99% of protection trainers have ever trained one in protection.

We had an Australian Shepherd in our club that has done very well in bite work, and has won hardest hitting compititions. So our trainer had trained an Aussie, but could hardly be called "experienced" with Aussies.

However, there are a good number of Bull breeds doing protection work, so I would expect a trainer who is "experienced" in training Bull breeds to have at least one dog titled, be it his own or a client's dog.

You can not train a Bull breed like you train a herder, and I'd venture a guess that most trainers have only trained/worked GSD's, Malinois, Dutch Shepherds and Rottweillers. Yes, trainers have to start somewhere, but I don't think a first time handler with a green should be the learning tool.

There is a training club near me that is all breed, and though they don't have many Pit Bulls who train there, there is a HUGE variety of breeds who do - I have seen well over 20 different breeds there. Those trainers, even though not specifically experienced with bull breeds, would be ok with me because they obviously know who to adapt to many many different breeds.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior