if someone wanted to become a foster...

Postby chance's mom » June 21st, 2006, 7:44 pm

what could they do? who would they contact? what is required of them?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 21st, 2006, 8:20 pm

do the research on the breed first. contact a reputable rescue. fill out an application, have a home check done, reference checks, etc.. speak to the rescue on their policies about fosters, euthanasia, reimbursing for food, vet etc... i know there are some stuff posted here, i think either in rescue or somewhere else... can you give the time to another dog? does your dog like other dogs? etc... pm me if you need help.
are you near Bad Rap? http://www.badrap.org they are always looking for foster homes... its simple ,you take care of the dog, train, socialize, and then give the dog to a approved home to go live with new people. some people cant do it, its very hard to give up foster dogs for some people..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby kymn25 » June 22nd, 2006, 11:41 am

Check out http://www.ucarerescue.net... we are always looking for people to help and we don't seem to have many people in California..
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » June 22nd, 2006, 12:04 pm

When we started fostering we already had built a relationship with our local shelter, and we went and asked if we could take one slated to be put to sleep. They let us, and we had it fixed and vaccinated and adopted it out. It wasn't a foster for the shelter necessarily, it was just on our own. I'm now working with a rescue but that isn't how we started out.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 22nd, 2006, 12:54 pm

msvette2u wrote:When we started fostering we already had built a relationship with our local shelter, and we went and asked if we could take one slated to be put to sleep. They let us, and we had it fixed and vaccinated and adopted it out. It wasn't a foster for the shelter necessarily, it was just on our own. I'm now working with a rescue but that isn't how we started out.

That's pretty much how I started out, too, except I worked for a vet. When a dog was brought in either as an "owner surrender" or "we can't afford the surgery" and one of the local shelters/rescues couldn't take it in, I would step up and get the necessary medical work done, then adopt out the dog myself.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chance's mom » June 23rd, 2006, 10:29 pm

thanks for all the help guys, it it something we are considering in the near future. chance gets along great with other dogs and i think he would be a great help in socializing the foster dog. i dont have any cats and they dont like chance to well so i dont know if i would be able to get the foster used to them, but i am home by 3pm everyday and would love to help. i was concerned about the cost of fostering, food and getting the dog spayed neutered if its not already, etc. so hopefully i can talk the man into it, and i live in san diego so i think thats like 6 hrs from san fransisco which it looks like is where bad rapp is. hopefully soon, i really love our breed and want to help. thanks again
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue