Canned Cat Food

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 10th, 2006, 6:30 pm

A couple weeks ago we had a "Cats and Raw" thread going. I was trying my cat on raw, but she won't have it. I have tried everything. So I am trying the next best things and giving her some can for one of her meals.
I am switching her to the Innova lite dry food which she seems to be fine with. I got some Innova cans- which she doesn't seem to like. (They're too dry and crumbly or something). I also tried some of the Merrick canned and I think she will eat that. Does anyone have any good canned cat food that their cats like?
Also with the Merrick canned, if anyone feeds that, what flavors do your cats prefer?

She seemed to like the seafood ones but not particularly the New England boil (she didn't like the chunks). I want to try the Turducken.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Miakoda » June 10th, 2006, 10:13 pm

We had someone donate many cases of Merrick cat food to our clinic & can I tell you how much those cats loved it?! I don't think we ever had a cat in there that snubbed there nose at any of the variety flavors.

BUT, I don't do kitties (don't have kitties) so I'm not the best person to ask about this.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby concreterose » June 10th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Both my cats like and do well on Wellness canned. All they'll eat is the chicken flavor, though. They used to eat Chicken Soup canned, and they liked that too.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 11th, 2006, 6:17 am

My cat's loved Evangers....but beware, the whole mackerel in gravy, really is a whole fish in gravy....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Favorite Kitty » June 11th, 2006, 9:51 am

Evangers is supposed to be a super good food but they only carry it for dogs at my pet food store. I would like to try it. My dogs love the canned dog food.

I use Merrick a lot here. They like Grammy's Pot Pie, Turducken, and Thanksgiving Day Dinner the most. I have Precise this week and so far they have eaten the Chicken, Mixed Grill and Turkey. Wellness is good and most cats like that.

About the lite cat food ~ I have read several times that it is better to limit your cats food intake and not free feed then to feed a "lite" formula. There are too many fillers in lite foods and the cats feel full faster because of that. Tidbit of useless information ~ Science Diets Senior Formula and Lite Formula dry food contains PEANUT HULLS as fiber and filler. Fedding canned food more often will also help your cat lose weight. It is better for their bodies, and as long as you feed a high quality canned, they can absorb more of the good stuff compared to dry.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby katiek0417 » June 11th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:Evangers is supposed to be a super good food but they only carry it for dogs at my pet food store. I would like to try it. My dogs love the canned dog food.

It's fairly likely that if they can get it for dogs, they can also get it for cats (they may not carry it in the store, but can probably order it for you). I've had good experiences with petfooddirect.com....if you decide you like it, you can buy it in bulk

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 11th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Good to know! Yes I think I am going to stick with the Merrick canned because I think she does like it. I'm going to try the flavors you all suggested. I think I will eventually be giving her only some dry and more canned.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 13th, 2006, 10:00 am

Oh- and here's the bizarro thing- in order for her to eat it, I have to sit there and watch her do it. She won't eat it unless I'm watching her. Weird!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 13th, 2006, 10:24 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:Oh- and here's the bizarro thing- in order for her to eat it, I have to sit there and watch her do it. She won't eat it unless I'm watching her. Weird!!

I had a cat that did that....he wanted to be around me, so if I left the room, he wouldn't eat!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 21st, 2006, 12:29 pm

Ok thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Cleo loves the canned Merrick you all suggested! She chowed down on Turducken! (I just think that name is too funny)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 21st, 2006, 1:24 pm

Oh-one more question....
Sorry to keep bringing this up,
Does anyone feed their cats canned food exclusively?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby concreterose » June 21st, 2006, 3:25 pm

All my cats eat is canned food...one exclusively, the other eats canned and raw.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 22nd, 2006, 10:16 am

Cool, thanks!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 22nd, 2006, 10:22 am

my cat ate canned exclusively for 18 years.. occasionally she got dry kibble, but she preferred canned..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 22nd, 2006, 11:55 am

Love the new avatar, ME!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 22nd, 2006, 8:07 pm

Thanks!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health