New here from Monterey, CA

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Hello,
My name is Crystal and I have a 18 month red nose APBT named Aurora, we call her Rory! She is a total sweetheart, I'll try and post some pics!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 19th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Welcome!! what got you into the breed? how long have you been involved with the breed?? where did you get your dog from??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 19th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Hi and welcome! Tell us more about you and your pup :)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 19th, 2006, 4:14 pm

So many people have asked me why I chose a APBT, a lot of people inquire about it in a not so nice way but we are learning to deal with that.
My uncle always had pitts but I never thought of getting one of my own until I got older. I'm now 24, at the stage where everyone is getting married and having kids, I thought I should get a dog instead, haha!
I hestitated at first, not because of the breed but I wasnt sure if I was ready for all the backlash from the public (which is a lot where I live) but the more I investigated breeds and what would fit my lifestyle, ie, low grooming, lots of energy, likes to swim, slim health issues, and obviously I should like the physical look, it became evident that I wanted a APBT.
After investigating BSL, and stuff like that I was torn between getting a shelter pit to help save one or from a breeder who was reputable and had papers. The reason I wanted papers is because is BSL comes to my area it will be easier to fight them. She is my baby, i have taken her through 3 obediance classes, we walk to the beach everyday, and I have tons of tiny nieces and nephews for her to play with and learn to love kids, which she does! She is very protective of me and dosnt like if I bring home guys, she is kinda like my bad guy sensor....she knows! Ha ha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 19th, 2006, 5:06 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote: The reason I wanted papers is because is BSL comes to my area it will be easier to fight them.

Welcome to you and Rory! :wave:

Can you explain more about your statement above, please?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 19th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Welcome Crystal! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 19th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!
As for the BSL issue, having a papered or showable dog is a step in helping fight this breed sepcific law. It was a hard decision to not follow my heart and get a rescue dog but our local animal control officer (who is the one that will be called if BSL becomes a issue in local area) and she said that she would never support a outright ban but if it ever did hit home it would be geared more towards the cleansing of the breed, meaning if we only have pure breds, then people wouldnt bother breeding them for bad reasons, which in turn means you pay more for the pure bred, meaning less people would pay a large amount for a dog just to mistreat it. For example you dont see many mixed English Bulldogs, I can't find one cheaper then $1200 which makes it harder for people to buy them cheap and use them for poor purposes!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 19th, 2006, 6:57 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone!
As for the BSL issue, having a papered or showable dog is a step in helping fight this breed sepcific law. It was a hard decision to not follow my heart and get a rescue dog but our local animal control officer (who is the one that will be called if BSL becomes a issue in local area) and she said that she would never support a outright ban but if it ever did hit home it would be geared more towards the cleansing of the breed, meaning if we only have pure breds, then people wouldnt bother breeding them for bad reasons, which in turn means you pay more for the pure bred, meaning less people would pay a large amount for a dog just to mistreat it. For example you dont see many mixed English Bulldogs, I can't find one cheaper then $1200 which makes it harder for people to buy them cheap and use them for poor purposes!

I'm not sure I follow her line of reasoning? :?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 19th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I guess I did make that more confusing then it needed to be. In my area people get pit bull puppies for cheap and fight them. Some law makers feel that if we had only pure breds or papered pits then this would be happening as much because the price of the dog would go up from $25-$500 or more. I used a exspenive breed such as a English Bulldog as a example, around here you cant find them cheap because they are almost all pure breds. Some law makers feel that in order to do away with responsible ownership and dog fighting we need to cleanse the breed so this is less likely to happen. People won't pay $500 to leave a dog to starve or fight it. Thats all
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 19th, 2006, 7:14 pm

I know you're only paraphrasing what the ACO told you, but the whole "cleanse the breed" line threw me completely off. Sounds too much like ethnic cleansing and Nazi tactics for me to be comfortable with that reasoning.

Anyway, I don't want to take your intro thread off track -- welcome and enjoy the forum!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » June 19th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Hello.....
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 19th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Hello! I love the username :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Asta » June 20th, 2006, 6:09 am

Hello and welcome :wave: Sounds like "Rory" lucked out and was blessed with a dedicated owner :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » June 20th, 2006, 9:29 am

H! Welcome to the board.

Where is it that you live that the ACO & law makers have that line of thinking? I have been fighting BSL for years & that is the craziest thing I have EVER heard. BSL is BSL & involves ALL pit bull look alikes, papered or not.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 9:42 am

she lives in California Cheeky..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Maryellen wrote:she lives in California Cheeky..

Oh, I guess I could have looked. :oops:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » June 20th, 2006, 9:45 am

thats ok, its early... no matter where you live, or what papers you have, like Cheeky said, BSL affects all dogs, whether papered or not.. if bsl comes knocking, your dog is history.. denver didnt play favorites with papers,neither did ohio or Ontario Canada
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 20th, 2006, 9:53 am

Discussion belongs in the forum please, not on a welcome thread.

thank you.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 20th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Wow, um ok, thanks....I think
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 20th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Introductions