Mobile AL: My Dog Votes rally to save Spencer

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Mahlon » June 16th, 2006, 10:30 am

Mahlon
Just Whelped

Postby turtle » June 18th, 2006, 10:25 am

I found this article:

M E D I A A D V I S O R Y

June 16, 2006

Mayor Sam Jones Rescues Pit Bull Terrier

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones has negotiated a new home for the Pit Bull Terrier found in Midtown last month - a move that will protect the safety of the public and not alter the city's policy on these breeds.

The Pit Bull, which was found underweight, ill-fed and dehydrated, will be sent to the Utah-based Best Friends Animal Society, a group found Friday by Jones and animal shelter officials.

"The issue with the dog has taken away from the city's award-winning adoption program at the shelter," said Mayor Jones. "This arrangement will hopefully return the focus back to the need for good homes for adoptable animals in our shelter."

There are currently 109 dogs in our kennel, with 51 up for adoption. Jones said the Best Friends Animal Society has assured the city that the dog will not be adopted.

"This will allow the city's policy to remain intact," said Mayor Jones.

------------------------------------------

and this:

"Amanda, the plaintiff did in fact sign an appeal for this case to move forward. However, just minutes ago the Mayor of Mobile held an emergency press conference to say that he would grant Spencer his life with the condition he be sent to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah, to live the remainder of his life. This is certianly good news for Spencer. However, it was also stated that the Mobile Animal Shelter would uphold their "policy" to not adopt out pit bulls now or in the future."

--------------------------------------------

I'm sorry but I do not see this as a victory nor anything to celebrate. It's purely a political move.

Why would this jerk Mayor be so controlling that he sends this poor pit pup off with the condition that he can not be adopted out, all for the political aim of "keeping their policy intact" of not adopting pit bulls. If the dog is out of his town and state why should the Mayor care what happens to him???

I also doubt highly that the Best Friends shelter will go against the agreement they made and adopt this dog out. The pit pup Spencer will sit in a kennel for all his life.

Has this really changed anything? No.

Pit bull pups and adults are still killed all over the USA by shelters who refuse to adopt them out, and that policy is not changed by one pup being sent to Utah to live in a pen for the next 10 years. A pretty hollow "victory"...

I'll post again what I posted elsewhere. Poor dog, life in a cage is no life at all...

Humm, I may be missing something but... from what I just read above, the Mayor is sending this pit bull pup off to a "rescue" in Utah where the pup will not be adopted out?

What kind of victory is that? Sounds like the pup is just being used as a pawn. It's all politics... "The issue with the dog has taken away from the city's award-winning adoption program at the shelter" quoted from the Mayor above. This pit bull pup made them look bad so they shuffle him off to Utah to sit in a cage for 10 years, a life sentence.

If Best Friends will not adopt this pup out to a home, then that means he will live his life in a kennel run, right? What kind of life is that for a dog? Not to feel the grass under your feet, not to feel the sun on your back, not to smell the wind, not to have a human owner and family? Poor dog.

Isn't quality of life more important than quantity of life?

I'd say this poor pup was "saved" to live his life as a prisoner.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » June 18th, 2006, 10:28 am

That is really horrible.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Mahlon » June 19th, 2006, 8:38 am

I agree.

There's really only one response to what happened: send Mayor Sam Jones of Mobile Alabama to the unemployment office! Vote the rascal out!

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblo ... .html#more
Mahlon
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL