Do dogs know if you're laughing at them

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 16th, 2006, 12:20 pm

So my husband always says that I am egging the dog on by laughing at her because she knows I am laughing at her. Does anyone think this is true?
Say, for example, if she steals my sock or something and I am laughing at her, is this reinforcing the behavior?
Sometimes I can't help it she is so damn cute!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Purple » June 16th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Oh, they know!!!! lol
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » June 16th, 2006, 1:11 pm

:| I don't think they know you are "laughing at them", but I would say they can definitely distinguish the difference in laughing vs. angry. I know mine can. Yesterday, Ben wanted my water bottle he ran around acting so goofy, the more I laughed it seemed the goofier he got. For some reason Maddie thought it would be great fun too, and they ran around chasing each other having the best time. Considering she seldom plays, it was hilarious, seemed the funnier I thought it was the more they entertained. I think it's more of an the tones/actions they pick up on, rather than actually knowing your laughing.. What I'm trying to say probably doesn't make a lick of sense either. :P

Yes, though I'd have to say by laughing at her she will continue to get your sock, and your encouraging the behavior. Where if you told her NO, and gave her something acceptable you wouldn't be. Just my opinion, if you can decipher it.. ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » June 16th, 2006, 1:13 pm

I would like to think they do. I know when we laugh at Munkee he gets that much more animated. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » June 16th, 2006, 1:42 pm

When I laugh at Ruby she gives me a dirty look and stops what she's doing. It just eggs Connor on.

The cats definately don't appreciate it and will ignore me for a day if I laugh at them.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » June 16th, 2006, 2:21 pm

I do think they know. Years ago Teddy my older dog had gone to the groomer and came back with a ridiculous haircut. They made him look like a lion. My husband came home and started hysterically laughing at him and he hid in our bedroom for an hour. It is very unlike him to hide from us.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 16th, 2006, 3:17 pm

mnp13 wrote:When I laugh at Ruby she gives me a dirty look and stops what she's doing. It just eggs Connor on.

The cats definately don't appreciate it and will ignore me for a day if I laugh at them.

Yeah, if I laugh at one of my dogs, they shoot me a "dirty look" then act as if they're not doing anything....

The cats just get mad
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby bahamutt99 » June 16th, 2006, 4:48 pm

They know. That's why you can't do it while you're trying to break them of a habit. Cuz they'll be like "Ooh, that made mom laugh. I should try that again."

:groupjump:
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 16th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Big time! Venus is like a clown. If someone laughs at what she is doing, it becomes her new obsession! lol
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » June 16th, 2006, 5:18 pm

It depends with Oscar.

If he did something HE thinks was silly or funny its cool. But I do get the occaisional dirty when he seems to think I shouldn't be laughing

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » June 16th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Your all crazy! ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby lipshipsattitude » June 20th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Befor eI had a dog of my own I thought no they didnt but now, ha ha ha ha, I'd have to say yes, they definitly do. Rory's ears go back, like this when I laugh at her, ha ha ha ha
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 20th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Ooooh that's an unhappy look!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » June 20th, 2006, 9:09 pm

She's very pretty!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior