VET TECHS!!! I need your help!

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 9:08 pm

I was on my way home from Tae Kwon Do and saw something flopping in the road, I thought it was a rag, but as I got closer I saw it was a SEAGULL that has been hit by a vehicle. He's in a cat crate now, I couldn't leave him there on the road :(
His beak is bloody, cracked I think.
If he survives until hubby gets home (1.5 hrs) we'll try to give him an IV but how do you give a bird fluids!???
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2006, 9:12 pm

YIKES! :cry:

Do you have a 24 hour wildlife rehab center/sanctuary near you? Or, a call to a 24 hour emergency vet may be able to help.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Ahh I could try!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Yes, wildlife rehab. place would be best, unless you know how to do that stuff~

This is the only thing I've found so far:

http://ocw.tufts.edu/courses/5/content/215771

I tried the Merck manual, but was clueless . . . maybe you'll have better luck?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 9:29 pm

DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 9:37 pm

That first site is great! I can do subcu fluids myself! I'm just letting the bird sit in there quietly for now. I figured if he's going to die I'd rather he died here than on the danged highway :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Oh good . . . I sure as heck can't, but I figured if you could, that may help. :|

Good for you, giving him a shot, because atleast he's less stressed and more comfortable this way. Most people would drive right by, especially for a gull~good for you. :clap:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2006, 9:45 pm

a-bull wrote:Oh good . . . I sure as heck can't, but I figured if you could, that may help. :|

Good for you, giving him a shot, because atleast he's less stressed and more comfortable this way. Most people would drive right by, especially for a gull~good for you. :clap:

I second that! Hooray!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Awww you guys would do it too - I couldn't just let him lay there - he'd have gotten hit again. A few years ago we chased one down and brought it to one of the local vets office. I don't know what happened to him, if he made it or not. Jeff was so mad at me. lol I don't care. All animals deserve a dignified death if they must die...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2006, 9:55 pm

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm
List of Wildlife Rehab centers by state.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 15th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Oh, this is cool:

http://www.projectwildlife.org/index.html

Emergency Wildlife Hotline at 619-225-9202.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Marinepits wrote:http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm
List of Wildlife Rehab centers by state.

I'm on hold for the vet now!!! Thank you!!!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 10:03 pm

msvette2u wrote:Awww you guys would do it too - I couldn't just let him lay there - he'd have gotten hit again. A few years ago we chased one down and brought it to one of the local vets office. I don't know what happened to him, if he made it or not. Jeff was so mad at me. lol I don't care. All animals deserve a dignified death if they must die...

oh gosh, I'll save anything . . . my kids brought home a tiny, baby field mouse they found in the road once, I tube fed it 'til it could eat on its own, and here it lived, for almost 5 years. :)

I've had red squirrels loose in my car, chipmunks, you name it---slogged through marshes looking for injured deer . . .

We're saps, I guess. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oh, this is cool:

http://www.projectwildlife.org/index.html

Emergency Wildlife Hotline at 619-225-9202.

:thumbsup: Good work!!

Cool beans. :clap:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 15th, 2006, 10:18 pm

OK Just got off the phone with the vet, she said put a heat pad under the crate which I hadn't thought of, and cover it up with a towel so I did all that. She said even if it dies, it died warm and safe instead of out there on the road, getting hit time after time!
So I snagged this photo just in case he(she?) doesn't make it...it can't seem to sit upright very well, I had to right it and stuff the blanket under it to prop it up.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 15th, 2006, 10:28 pm

awww, poor guy . . .

yes, the heating pad on low is always good for any injured animal~just be careful there's no direct heat on the critter and you don't want to overheat them.

Good luck with him~atleast he's comfy . . . :(
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Jenn » June 16th, 2006, 12:34 am

:( Awww..
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » June 16th, 2006, 12:38 am

we get seagulls at work pretty regularly.

remember, they are dirty birds so wash well and keep your critters far away from him (wash the crate well too and maybe leave it unused for a week or too)

we feed them fish or large shrimp, but I think you could even feed cat food, after all, they are garbadge eaters.

Malli

oh, I am not a vet tech but those are my suggestions, for what its worth :)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » June 16th, 2006, 1:25 am

We always feed them bread on the ferry. :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » June 16th, 2006, 7:21 am

How is the gull this morning?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Rescue