puppies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 14th, 2006, 7:44 pm

I called UKC about Nisha....they told me to fill out the pedigree on the form (I don't need any papers) and send three pictures (one from each side and a frontal shot)....
Are her parents registered with another org? Is this for full registration? I'm not sure what they do with other breeds only what is done for APBTs
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
I called UKC about Nisha....they told me to fill out the pedigree on the form (I don't need any papers) and send three pictures (one from each side and a frontal shot)....
Are her parents registered with another org? Is this for full registration? I'm not sure what they do with other breeds only what is done for APBTs

No, they're not...it's probably different because she's a malinois...she is out of military and police dogs....it was an accidental breeding and both the military officer and the police officer can be severely reprimanded as these dogs are not supposed to be bred (hence why the dogs are not papered)...

This would be a single registration...basically her "lines" would start with her...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 15th, 2006, 11:38 am

katiek0417
That is really interesting. I'm kinda of confused though. She will have full registration now and can show and be bred. Not that you are or aren't planning that I'm just curious if that is correct.
I wonder why they are doing things like that for certain breeds :|

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 15th, 2006, 11:45 am

Malli wrote:I always wondered how a breeder decides so early which pup is the ideal showdog....

This was how I did ...
I did evals on each pup from structure to temperament and drive when they were about 8 weeks, but also watched them grow and develop their personalities daily .

Here is Samurai at 8 weeks and then again at a year the weekend he Championed. You can see his structure is the same. At 8 weeks he was a mini version of his adult form.
LOL Though his show stack is not perfect in the second pick thanks to him being a wiggle butt :wink:

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » June 15th, 2006, 1:03 pm

wow, are all dogs a little "mini" of themselves at that age??
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » June 15th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:katiek0417
That is really interesting. I'm kinda of confused though. She will have full registration now and can show and be bred. Not that you are or aren't planning that I'm just curious if that is correct.
I wonder why they are doing things like that for certain breeds :|

yes....both shown and bred...same with Sacha....

malli wrote:wow, are all dogs a little "mini" of themselves at that age??

Nisha looked like a chihuaha at 8 weeks old...I can't tell you how many people asked if that's what she was....even people who knew me (AS IF!!! not that there's anything wrong with a chihuaha...just not a dog I would own)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » June 15th, 2006, 2:33 pm

but why would the owners get in trouble? why isnt military and police allowed to have a breeding of their dogs? is it because of the working lines or something??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 15th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Malli wrote:wow, are all dogs a little "mini" of themselves at that age??
They should be with the exception of increased muscle and the coat in the long haired breeds or unless they are premature or they have other health issues.

The puppy puzzle video does a great job explaining all of that and showing examples of how to look at each part of the dog. I always hate seeing ads that focus on one body part or attribute of a dog or pup when it is supposed to be the total package that counts or it's like not having all the pieces to a puzzle. :|

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » June 15th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Maryellen wrote:but why would the owners get in trouble? why isnt military and police allowed to have a breeding of their dogs? is it because of the working lines or something??

Unfortunately, much of the military and PD's are stuck in the "old days." Neutering/spaying was wrong (and believed to inhibit drive)....so, its not done....

Military and police dogs don't really belong to the owners...the owners are merely handlers....Military dogs are property of the US gov't...police dogs are property of the jurisdiction for which they serve...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » June 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm

oh now i understand... that makes sense, in a way...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Leslie H » June 18th, 2006, 1:05 pm

This is the first I've heard of UKC issueing (sp) full priveleges on a dog that is not registered w/another organization. For instance, UKC will register as an apbt dogs that are registered w/AKC (as amstaffs), or the ADBA only. The AB must be registered w/ABA, NKC, NABA, or ARF first. I am assuming that the dog in question is intact. As a malinois, one of the 4 belgian sheperd breeds recognized by UKC, there may be different procedures. I know there are for showing, and licensing judges.
As to pup's temperament and conformation, I was told to look at these at 7 1/2 to 8 weeks. You can also check proportion at birth. Soleil was very suare at 8 weeks, w/nice angles. She's gone through some pretty grotesque growth stages, but as she approaches 1 year, I can see the pieces falling back into place. You're really not supposed to look at the dog too critically in the in between ages, but it's hard. There certainly are exceptions to this rule.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 18th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Leslie H wrote:Soleil was very suare at 8 weeks, w/nice angles. She's gone through some pretty grotesque growth stages, but as she approaches 1 year, I can see the pieces falling back into place. You're really not supposed to look at the dog too critically in the in between ages, but it's hard. There certainly are exceptions to this rule.

LOL The ganglies and fuglies in between are funny to watch though :wink: Mine went through them too especially Samurai

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » June 18th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Leslie H wrote:This is the first I've heard of UKC issueing (sp) full priveleges on a dog that is not registered w/another organization. For instance, UKC will register as an apbt dogs that are registered w/AKC (as amstaffs), or the ADBA only. The AB must be registered w/ABA, NKC, NABA, or ARF first. I am assuming that the dog in question is intact. As a malinois, one of the 4 belgian sheperd breeds recognized by UKC, there may be different procedures. I know there are for showing, and licensing judges.

Nisha is absolutely intact. When I called, I explained the situation about the military and police dogs being her parents, and that they were technically "prohibited" from breeding. They told me to document all of that (since it would explain why Nisha is not registered with AKC, FCI or anywhere else). They said the "judges" will judge her based on her pictures as well as the reasons I have submitted for why she is not registered (though they are familiar with those "rules" and will not be held against her). I am waiting until she is a year old, though, to send the stuff b/c I want her to be done growing (even though she'll still grow more, she'll be mostly done growing UP).

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous