Snake Bite

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » June 14th, 2006, 8:40 am

Yesterday I had yet one more occurence where B & M seen a snake and I did not. I must have practically stepped on it's head when I walked by it, but on the way back they were both THERE, trying to get it and it wasn't until then that I finally seen it. :o I realized that if the snake would have been poisonous, or even if the snake would have bitten one of them ~ I would have had no clue what to do... I've read it before, but I need a good refresher. :D

So, what do you do if you dog is bit by a poisonous snake? What steps do you take? Are they immune/not immune to snake bites? Is that really just a myth? What's the best way to determine the type of snake? Should you kill it just in case you need it?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby turtle » June 14th, 2006, 10:53 am

I'd think it could be helpful to learn what types of snakes are found in your local area. That way you can indentify which ones are poisonous. Most snakes are non venomous and it's a shame to kill one if it's not a danger (I like snakes!).

I've seen rat snakes and bull snakes which act aggressive but they are not poisonous. They actually do a lot of good since they eat rats and mice.

There are some good sites on line for identifying snakes and also some good field guide type books. Do you have an idea what snakes live in your area?

I've always been very firm about NO SNAKE to all my dogs and by yelling and telling them NO, BAD DOG when they see a snake, they will now leave them alone.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » June 14th, 2006, 12:32 pm

gf turtle wrote:There are some good sites on line for identifying snakes and also some good field guide type books. Do you have an idea what snakes live in your area?

No I really have no clue.... :| I was told by the old man down the road, that it was a King snake, and to just leave it alone. It was a black heavily spotted (white spots) snake. I don't like snakes, they give me the heebies. I would like to know what snakes are supposed to live in my area, and which ones are dangerous though. Though honestly, I'm not looking forward to actually KNOWING or seeing another one. Yet know I should learn that.

ME, thanks for all those links ~ I'm still reading. We need a "whew" smilie. ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marty » June 14th, 2006, 9:40 pm

I have saved dogs bit by copperheads (poisonous snake) by giving them buttermilk, I do not know what it does but I brought them through it, hope this helps ;)
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby turtle » June 17th, 2006, 12:26 pm

JennKBM wrote:
gf turtle wrote:There are some good sites on line for identifying snakes and also some good field guide type books. Do you have an idea what snakes live in your area?

No I really have no clue.... :| I was told by the old man down the road, that it was a King snake, and to just leave it alone. It was a black heavily spotted (white spots) snake.

Yes it could be a King snake. Those are really good snakes and not poisonous. They actually eat other snakes as well as rats & mice so they are good to have around. They will also eat poisonous snakes too. I'd think if you looked on goggle for "king snake texas" you'd find a pic of one?
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health