Cat night

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maryellen » June 14th, 2006, 12:55 pm

last night jesse and i were at the vet. there was another dog besides her in the waiting room.. all the cats were in carriers... fine..

a guy sticks his head in the door and asks if the dogs are good with cats.. so i figure, the cat is in a carrier.. so i say, as long as your cat is contained mine is ok.. (jesse hates cats but if they are in carriers she is fine)
so what does this guy do? he closes the door, then opens it and walks in with a cat ON A HARNESS AND LEASH....

i was like, wait a minute, a leash???? of course jesse saw the cat and gave it a look like WTF is that?? so we went into a down stay with her facing me just to be on the safe side, and the guy with the other dog did the same,. now the guy with the cat leash was holding the leash in his two FINGERS... i kept praying that he wouldnt drop the leash or the cat take off...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » June 14th, 2006, 1:12 pm

People are so stupid :shock:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 14th, 2006, 1:18 pm

THAT is insane!!! :shock: ALthough I have walked into vet's offices & see people holding cats on their LAPS!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » June 14th, 2006, 1:23 pm

yeah, i have seen that to.. last night a woman was holding a all white JRT in her arms, the dog kept growling at jesse, who was laying on the chairs relaxed... she kept shushing her dog, telling her its ok, etc.. so i said to her, the more you coddle him the more he thinks its ok to growl at other dogs.. she says, no , he calms down with that.. i say, no, it just reinforces him that its ok to growl at other dogs.. that is not good.. she says, oh but he is harmless, and he loves to be held.. i cant walk him anywhere..

i shut up. i cant argue with an owner who coddles their dog to death..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 14th, 2006, 1:28 pm

I must admit though, until you have a dog you don't think about these things. I used to just carry my cat into the vet and hold him on my lap. I'd give dirty looks to the people with "mean" dogs barking at my cat. :| I didn't understand. Now, my cats only go to the vet in a crate, because I DO understand.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » June 14th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Maryellen wrote:yeah, i have seen that to.. last night a woman was holding a all white JRT in her arms, the dog kept growling at jesse, who was laying on the chairs relaxed... she kept shushing her dog, telling her its ok, etc.. so i said to her, the more you coddle him the more he thinks its ok to growl at other dogs.. she says, no , he calms down with that.. i say, no, it just reinforces him that its ok to growl at other dogs.. that is not good.. she says, oh but he is harmless, and he loves to be held.. i cant walk him anywhere..

i shut up. i cant argue with an owner who coddles their dog to death..

No but you can stand up & bitch slap her! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » June 14th, 2006, 1:36 pm

My vet office has an office cat, and she roams wherever she dang well pleases. They will make exceptions for me and allow me to bring my dogs in before opening hours, yet won't put up the dang cat? :| Normally she steers pretty clear, but she gets pretty ballsy sometimes as well. She loves to hang out on the counter and rub on you while your trying to pay, all fine and dandy till your dog notices she's in his reach!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby JCleve86 » June 14th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Luckily our vet's office cat is big and fat and grouchy and sleeps on the counter, which is like four feet high...so the dogs usually can't even see the cats. The major conundrum with us are the damned squaking birds, and the turtles that dive in and out of the water...Molly figured out the birds and just wants to sniff um all day, but the sound of the turtles hitting the water bewilders her! She just looks around like a nut, attempting to pull me with her, trying to figure out where the "twump" is coming from.

There's a lady in my apartment complex (which has LOTS of big dogs) who walks her fatty cat on a leash. It's wierd, but she's pretty cool...my dogs see him from the porch (2nd story so they obviously can't get to him) and immediately start barking at him and than redirecting towards each other...freaks the cat out so he tries to take off but he's on leash...I wasn't sure what the lady thought but so I apologized and made them go inside, and she goes "Oh no it's okay! Tiger needs the exercise!"

So...in conclusion, some crazy cat people are cool. lol
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 14th, 2006, 1:44 pm

People are idiots! :o
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » June 14th, 2006, 2:22 pm

We had plenty of people who would bring their cats in on leashes at all of the hospitals I worked at. Daily basis. Totally normal.

ETA: I don't see the issue. Dog owners should have control over their dogs. Cat owners should have control over their cats. Period. As long as they are restrained in some way, no problem.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » June 14th, 2006, 2:32 pm

I was just shocked to see a cat on a harness and leash.. the cat was very well behaved, which i was suprised at.. both us dog owners kept our dogs well behaved and undercontrol, which everyone should do at the vets office..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 14th, 2006, 3:27 pm

There's a guy who walks his Siamese mix around our neighborhood on a harness and a leash. Satin just looks at it because it is well behaved and doesn't hiss
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm

I carry my cats into the vet's office :|

It's never been an issue.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 14th, 2006, 3:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:I carry my cats into the vet's office :|

It's never been an issue.

:shock:

I'm impressed. I own 6 and not one could be contained if I carried them in. I stash them in a carrier . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 4:03 pm

They ride loose in my car as well. Merlin has no fear of dogs, and Faye just digs in if she gets scared.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 14th, 2006, 4:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:They ride loose in my car as well. Merlin has no fear of dogs, and Faye just digs in if she gets scared.

. . . and they don't pee in the car?? :shock: I'm doing something wrong here . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 14th, 2006, 4:06 pm

i was one of those cat owners who just threw her cat over her shoulder and brought her to the vet. then set her on the chair next to me. she was raised with 2 dogs, and had no fear... sitting on the other side of the spectrum, i can see why dog owners get panicky when a cat comes in....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 4:07 pm

a-bull wrote:
mnp13 wrote:They ride loose in my car as well. Merlin has no fear of dogs, and Faye just digs in if she gets scared.

. . . and they don't pee in the car?? :shock: I'm doing something wrong here . . .

Nope. Faye pooped once, but she was sick and they wanted a sample anyway.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 14th, 2006, 4:08 pm

mnp13 wrote:
a-bull wrote:

Nope. Faye pooped once, but she was sick and they wanted a sample anyway.

See, so she was just cooperating again . . . great cats . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby 04100824 » June 14th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Cats look so dumb on a leash. :noWay:
Confident Young Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk