puppies

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » June 13th, 2006, 9:39 pm

How early can you actually see "good bone structure" on puppies? What about "good movement"?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » June 13th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Well I'm not a breeder,so this is only my opinion,I think the best is 10-12 weeks old.At that time you can see how will be the pup look later.
If you get the Pat Hastings Video,that's a very helpful tool to learn how to select puppies out of a litter.And fortunately they show everything on an Amstaff litter!!!!!!!! :wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 13th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I giggled when I read your question about "good movement" in a puppy because Inara was (is!) such a clutz. She's beautiful when she's moving well, but oh boy, she seems to get her legs in a tangle sometimes! Especially when she was just a wee babe. :P
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » June 13th, 2006, 10:51 pm

I always wondered how a breeder decides so early which pup is the ideal showdog....
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » June 13th, 2006, 11:03 pm

ellie@ny wrote:Well I'm not a breeder,so this is only my opinion,I think the best is 10-12 weeks old.At that time you can see how will be the pup look later.
If you get the Pat Hastings Video,that's a very helpful tool to learn how to select puppies out of a litter.And fortunately they show everything on an pit bull wanna be litter!!!!!!!! :wink:

Is the Pat Hastings video only based on show quality or does it show how to choose for temperment also?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ellie@ny » June 14th, 2006, 8:14 am

SisMorphine wrote:
ellie@ny wrote:Well I'm not a breeder,so this is only my opinion,I think the best is 10-12 weeks old.At that time you can see how will be the pup look later.
If you get the Pat Hastings Video,that's a very helpful tool to learn how to select puppies out of a litter.And fortunately they show everything on an pit bull wanna be litter!!!!!!!! :wink:

Is the Pat Hastings video only based on show quality or does it show how to choose for temperment also?

Yes,that's why I think it's great!It shows you step by step what to do with the pup,how to test them,how to stack them(not on the regular way) etc...
I learned a lot from that,if I will have pups once,I'm gonna use it 100%!!!
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 14th, 2006, 9:17 am

To check for show quality it is best to eval the dog at 8 weeks or very close to 8 weeks

As for movement pups are goofy and clutsy, the best way to look at that IMO is take into consideration the overall structure when doing the eval. A pup put together properly should essential have good movement. I'd stay away from clear of pups that are always bunny hopping.

http://www.dogfolk.com/thehastings.htm
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 3:05 pm

:fastRoll:

I'm asking because I know of a few puffed up wind bags who talk about the "great bone structure" of 2 week old puppies and "great movement" of the pups at 4 weeks.

If I'm remembering correctly, the last litter of 4 week old puppies I saw were tripping over their own feet half of the time.

these pups will be 2 weeks old this friday, they are showing some real good bone and structure

posted at one day old:
Pups look like they have nice heads and muzzles

posted at two weeks old
first born and has lots of drive and determination
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 14th, 2006, 3:28 pm

That is so stupid- yes they are just learning how to walk for goodness sake. They change so rapidly too, it is crazy how fast they grow!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 3:34 pm

those posts are from three different people by the way. 9 litters of dogs out of the same "training club" since the beginning of the year...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm

WOA! Lotta puppies
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby panda » June 14th, 2006, 4:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:those posts are from three different people by the way. 9 litters of dogs out of the same "training club" since the beginning of the year...

After reading that I am hardly surprised they are quoted that way. Nine litters seems excessive to me, from a "training club" ? :o
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2006, 4:49 pm

mnp13 wrote:those posts are from three different people by the way. 9 litters of dogs out of the same "training club" since the beginning of the year...

Do I know who you're talking about? You don't need to say names...a simple yes or no will suffice....

As far as drive goes, I pretty much "chose" Nisha at 4 weeks old....I told you that story right? We hung a rag down, and she was the one that kept going for it....and when she got it, she hung on. She was also the one who was stepping on her siblings to get to the front when I came to the kennel....

I was told I couldn't pick on looks alone...and even though she showed some promise, I would have to wait...at 6.5 weeks old Greg brought 2 puppies in...unbeknownst to me: 1 of them was the girl that I fell in love with at 4 weeks old (I have pictures of me holding her at 4 weeks of age)...he didn't tell me that, and I made a choice (the first one that went to my pant leg and held on)....after I made my choice, Greg told me that was the one I had wanted at 4 weeks....he said that she had continued to show as much drive and nerve as she did at 4 weeks, and that was why he brought her in...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2006, 5:01 pm

panda wrote:

After reading that I am hardly surprised they are quoted that way. Nine litters seems excessive to me, from a "training club" ? :o

yup.

and there are three more on the way. One of these lovely people dumps the unsold puppies at the shelter... and then breeds more. Yes, this is confirmed and yes it is legal.

Katrina, I'm sure you can guess who.

4 weeks, ok maybe, if you know exactly what you are looking for, but at TWO?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » June 14th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Hmmm... :(
That's pretty f$$$$$ up then....
Couple of days back I saw another training club,who breeds unpapered dogs....like there are no more good ones with papers...And it's on their website-nice !
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby panda » June 14th, 2006, 5:25 pm

and there are three more on the way. One of these lovely people dumps the unsold puppies at the shelter... and then breeds more. Yes, this is confirmed and yes it is legal.

And then we rescue people try to save them from death, but there are always too many. We do the best we can but many are PTS anyway. This kind of stuff just makes me so sad and so mad :x
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2006, 5:36 pm

ellie@ny wrote:Hmmm... :(
Couple of days back I saw another training club,who breeds unpapered dogs....like there are no more good ones with papers...And it's on their website-nice !

Just an FYI...if a dog is unpapered, but bred to a papered dog it can be papered...

Also, UKC has a thing that if you know the pedigree of a dog (e.g., Nisha is unpapered right now, but we know her pedigree) and you send three pics of the dog (one from each side, and one frontal) you can start the "official pedigree" with that dog

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 14th, 2006, 5:48 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
Just an FYI...if a dog is unpapered, but bred to a papered dog it can be papered...

Also, UKC has a thing that if you know the pedigree of a dog (e.g., Nisha is unpapered right now, but we know her pedigree) and you send three pics of the dog (one from each side, and one frontal) you can start the "official pedigree" with that dog

Not with APBTs unless they have changed something
Both parents must be papered with a reputible org to qualify for UKC papers even then if the parents are not reg UKC you have to wait to get the dog evaluated at a year to get full registration with UKC plus show proof of parentage w/ papers

It sucks if they do something different for other breeds

mp3 wrote
I'm asking because I know of a few puffed up wind bags who talk about the "great bone structure" of 2 week old puppies and "great movement" of the pups at 4 weeks.

There are major differences you can see in most pups as they mature. If you look at my offspring pages I have picts of the pups from birth through 9 weeks and you can watch how much they really change

I also did a post awhile back on Samurai showing him progress up to 8 weeks:
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1049
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on June 14th, 2006, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » June 14th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:

Not with APBTs unless they have changed something
Both parents must be papered with a reputible org to qualify for UKC papers even then if the parents are not reg UKC you have to wait to get the dog evaluated at a year to get full registration with UKC plus show proof of parentage w/ papers

It sucks if they do something different for other breeds

There are major differences you can see in most pups as they mature. If you look at my offspring pages I have picts of the pups from birth through 9 weeks and you can watch how much they really change

I also did a post awhile back on Samurai showing him progress up to 8 weeks:
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1049

I called UKC about Nisha....they told me to fill out the pedigree on the form (I don't need any papers) and send three pictures (one from each side and a frontal shot)....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » June 14th, 2006, 7:34 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
ellie@ny wrote:Hmmm... :(

So if I choose a ped online for my unpapered dog,and I breed that dog with a papered one,they gonna belive that,that's my dogs ped?From 3 picture,and because I tell them that's my dogs ped?
Wow,if this true,It's even worst...And I can start my new official pedigree.....Awesome! :( :|

And they don't ask a contact with the breeder too? :|

Edited again..I'm not talking about you here,who really know where your pup comming from.I'm thinking how many people can be out there to register like this,lying about the dog ped,and then start the puppy mills....
Last edited by ellie@ny on June 14th, 2006, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health