Allow me to explain.. (long)

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » June 13th, 2006, 8:54 am

Malli wrote:I didn't get enough time to read the entire thread but I also think you are doing what's best.

I got Oscar from a BYB. Now these were our friends, the mum and the puppies all recieved vet care, but there was no health testing etc. I also made a mistake. I had no idea BYB's even existed at that time. We LOVED his mom and thought how wonderful it would be to have a baby from her. I knew nothing about the breed when I got him, he was my first dog, and luckily I have perserveered enough and he has been patient enough that it has worked.

Both of us has made mistakes and learned from them. It is definately not irresponsible to look out for the dog's best interests, we have both done that in different ways, though yours will be filled with many more tears then mine *hug*

Malli

I feel the same way. Many people are just in the dark about all this breeder and over population stuff. When we began looking for a dog I looked both at shelters and in the paper. I had no idea about what a BYB was. When I was a kid people gave away puppies at the front of the grocery store. Thats how you got a dog. THe average person getting a dog for the first time does not know anything about BYB or how to even find a breeder if you like a particular type of dog. Most will just go to someone locally(for any breed) and think nothing wrong.

She has enough on her shoulders to make her feel bad about something she felt was right or meant to be. It is what it is.
Bless your family. Best wishes during your husbands deployment.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 13th, 2006, 10:03 am

I agree that saying someone saved a dog when they purchased it is inaccurate. I know a woman who claimed to have rescued a BT puppy from a pet store, for a modest $900. I told her to her face- NO, you bought a dog from a pet store. They will use that money to go buy or breed replacements. She did not like hearing it, but geez, at least own up to what you did lady!

I also am not trying to condemn anyone- a mistake was made and it is done, and recognized. I think that you are doing the best you can now, and I respect you for that. But continuing to say you rescued a dog when you indeed purchased it is misleading and potentially a problem, if more people then justify purchasing a BYB puppy thinking they are also rescuing. Just saying 'she came from a BYB' is accurate, and not damning yourself either.

My 2 cents. No disrespect meant whatsoever.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 13th, 2006, 10:24 am

Jen - good post.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby anissa » June 13th, 2006, 11:01 am

Ok look.. I made a mistake. Ive admitted it and owned it over and over. Ive also agree'd in hindsight that Ive only encouraged the breeder by buying him. Ive also mentioned.. that BEFORE I came to this forum, I didnt know much about the breed and/or what BYB and BSL and everything else meant. I did know about them being used for fighting.. especially in my area.. and in MY mind.. I was saving it from being sold to a fighter.

Seriously.. I wasnt letting what anyone had to say get to me, but it seems like some of you arent going to be happy until Im fuckin crucified or something. I understand how strongly everyone feels about overpopulation, bad breeders etc.. I GET IT.

I was hoping to correct my wrong with the help of all of you, but at this point this forum has left me discouraged.. I will continue to learn and do what I can (now that I know better) for this breed, and for Brock.. but I sure as hell wont be doing it here any longer.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 13th, 2006, 11:05 am

anissa wrote:I was hoping to correct my wrong with the help of all of you, but at this point this forum has left me discouraged.. I will continue to learn and do what I can (now that I know better) for this breed, and for Brock.. but I sure as hell wont be doing it here any longer.

Isn't it silly to leave because a few people are upset with you? Sometimes you need to just roll with the punches.

This thread could help educate another person who has not yet bought from a BYB.

Oh, and Ruby is from a complete and total scum bag breeder. I don't hide that fact, mostly because I don't want anyone to buy from him. I also used to say that I "rescued" her from him. I didn't. I bought her. However, I did "save" her from being a puppy factory.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 13th, 2006, 11:10 am

Anissa, we aren't trying to do that. I told you before that I totally respect your decision, and I am quite impressed with your ability to put Brock first. Rehoming a dog is heartbreaking. We all make mistakes, I certainly have made my share. Bygones.

However, you still are using the word rescue, and I disagree with that. At this point the use of that word is all I am talking about. I do not think you would go back and do it again, I do not think you are a bad person. i do think that using the term rescue when we are talking about a purchased dog is misleading and could cause other people to buy dogs from BYBs without guilt.

I just wanted to concur with that point, and now it is just up to you what you say, either way. I will never know, and it is not my choice, or right to tell you what you have to do.

I will drop it now. I really hope you do not leave. We all get caught up, sometimes I have just had to leave a thread unread or I would feel like leaving too.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 13th, 2006, 12:01 pm

anissa wrote:Ok look.. I made a mistake. Ive admitted it and owned it over and over. Ive also agree'd in hindsight that Ive only encouraged the breeder by buying him. Ive also mentioned.. that BEFORE I came to this forum, I didnt know much about the breed and/or what BYB and BSL and everything else meant. I did know about them being used for fighting.. especially in my area.. and in MY mind.. I was saving it from being sold to a fighter.

Seriously.. I wasnt letting what anyone had to say get to me, but it seems like some of you arent going to be happy until Im smurfin crucified or something. I understand how strongly everyone feels about overpopulation, bad breeders etc.. I GET IT.

I was hoping to correct my wrong with the help of all of you, but at this point this forum has left me discouraged.. I will continue to learn and do what I can (now that I know better) for this breed, and for Brock.. but I sure as hell wont be doing it here any longer.

You have GOT to be kidding me!! NO one on this thread has been nasty to you. IF you think ANY other pit bull boards will be as understanding with you as this one has been.............you need to think again. Go visit one & post your post & see what they do to you. The ONLY thing I have seen is people saying if you BUY a dog you are NOT rescuing it...........and you're not. Sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is the truth. Buying a dog is buying a dog, no matter how much you pay for it or who you buy it from. If you are handing ANY breeder cash, you are NOT rescuing anything. And that is a HUGE sore spot for many people on this board since they ARE associated with rescue, which basically means they have to clean up after BYBers & they get upset when someone buys a dog & says they rescued it..............and rightfully so.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 13th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Dogcrazyjen and cheekymunkee said it all...

No one was meaning to shoot you down or make you feel bad, it was merely over the wording of "rescue". Generally when I post, I do so with the thought of other people reading the thread and learning from it, so I try to word my posts in that way.

Read back and realize nobody said anything against YOU, just about the subject.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 13th, 2006, 1:05 pm

However, you still are using the word rescue, and I disagree with that. At this point the use of that word is all I am talking about. I do not think you would go back and do it again, I do not think you are a bad person. i do think that using the term rescue when we are talking about a purchased dog is misleading and could cause other people to buy dogs from BYBs without guilt.

That was my only point as well.
I'm glad you're doing the right thing for the puppy now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » June 13th, 2006, 3:38 pm

I agree with everybody else. HOWEVER. You recognized your mistake, and we can all see that you feel guilty that you BOUGHT the puppy, but you're trying to do best by him now. It would be easy for you, like you said to dump it at the shelter now, but you're taking a harder route to rehome him yourself. At least you can think that it will end up in a good home instead of god knows where.

And like it's been said... Some forums are much more harsher than this one, and not quite as civil. C'mon, stay...
Last edited by call2arms on June 13th, 2006, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Vanessa » June 13th, 2006, 5:57 pm

My opinion is that you are doing what's best for Brock and for your family. We have all made mistakes and learned from them. I definately made lots and have went through a similar situation.
It is one of the hardest things you can do to admit that you aren't the best person to keep this pup and that he might be better off somewhere else. I'm really happy that you are taking the time to find him a great forever home :clap:
If there is anything i can do please PM me. Again i have experiance with this sort of thing. It will not be easy but it will be worth it for everyone in the end :hug3:
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk