I'd never feed Pedigree...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jaime » January 26th, 2006, 12:29 pm

i pay over 50.00 per bag for the nature's variety prairie venison dry kibble but i only feed about 1/2 the amount of food that i used to and get better results

INGREDIENTS
Venison Meal, Millet, Pumpkin Seed, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite, Natural Flavoring, Amaranth, Quinoa, Blueberries, Cranberries, Inulin, Freeze Dried Lamb, Freeze Dried Salmon Oil, Papain, Rosemary, Sage,etc...
Last edited by Jaime on January 26th, 2006, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 26th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I pay an average of .69 a pound for raw :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 26th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Emi wrote:I just need to add my :twocents:

http://gprime.net/flash.php/llamasong

What

the

hell

was that??
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Emi » January 26th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Trying to lighten things up ... oh well :cry:
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 12:35 pm

whoa.. the natures variety has NO GRAIN???????????????// just millet?????????? ooooh jesse i think that we have another food to use.......... oh thank you !!!! the TW i pay $48 for a 33lb bag plus $7 shipping..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:
Emi wrote:I just need to add my :twocents:

http://gprime.net/flash.php/llamasong

What

the

hell

was that??

My contribution to the forum...
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=361
:D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jaime » January 26th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Maryellen wrote:whoa.. the natures variety has NO GRAIN???????????????// just millet?????????? ooooh jesse i think that we have another food to use.......... oh thank you !!!! the TW i pay $48 for a 33lb bag plus $7 shipping..

i had to hunt it down- capone has food allergies :) i like it- in the feeding suggestions it gives you amounts and you feed aboiut 1/2 the amount on this food compared to the merrick.

NV: new zealand venison
Body Weight 10 lbs.
1/4 - 1/2 cup daily

Body Weight 25 lbs.
3/4 - 1 cup daily

Body Weight 50 lbs.
1-1/2 - 2 cups daily

Body Weight 75 lbs.
2-1/4 - 2-3/4 cups daily
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 12:52 pm

i think i might try jesse on it and see how she does.. its a never ending battle with her, with food / air allergies i cant seem to win.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 12:57 pm

ps- i pay a $1.00 for the canned merrick if i buy a case of 24- is that a good deal??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 26th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Oh, Emi, I didn't mean it in a bad way. You did bring a smile to my face :) I just meant that it was HOLY COW strange!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby turtle » January 26th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Yes, really the bottom line is what works for your own dog.

I will say my dog looked fine and had no problems with the Pedigree and I fed her that about 5 months after I got her from the shelter. After that I did some reading and starting trying other foods.

I don't feed canned, I feed kibble with warm water added for dinner, and raw in the mornings. Currently she's on Timberwolf and raw.

Over the last 3 years I have fed her Innova Regular adult dog, California Natural Chicken, CA Natural Lamb, Canidae, Wellness, Premium Edge Chicken, Premium Edge Lamb, Chicken Soup, Wellness, and the Nature's Variety Beef & Barley. She did great on all of them except for the Wellness which gave her the runs. I'd say she looked best on the Timberwolf so that's what I've stayed with.

I know someone else who feeds the Nature's Variety Venison to an allergy dog and the dog does great on it. Maryellen, it's worth a try. It's a good food and gives you another one to rotate for Jessie.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Pitcrew » January 27th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Yes... I totally agree with you MaryEllen. I HAVE seen dogs that just didnt do well on PREMIUM foods... this is of course unusual, but, in those cases that dog maybe needs that food. The type of medical conditions she was describing, would have certainly done more to his health (longterm/shortterm) than feeding Pedigree.

Besides... there ARE much WORSE foods out there than Pedigree.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » January 27th, 2006, 8:47 pm

OOPS! :oops:
I didnt realize that something I was replying to wasnt the last post. :D

And I dont know how to do that QUOTE thing... :D :? :D

So... if ya dont know what I meant... nevermind :cry:

not too computer savy... :D
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jaime » January 27th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Lisa wrote:Besides... there ARE much WORSE foods out there than Pedigree.

like this one? :puke:

blue seal pratical pet 21
Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat and
Bone Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Dried Beet Pulp,
Poultry Fat (Mixed Tocopherols Preservative), Poultry
Digest, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dried Egg Product,
Dried Whey, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement,
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 28th, 2006, 6:57 pm

what the heck is wheat middlings????
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » January 28th, 2006, 11:01 pm

YES! Believe it or not, Blue Seal was EXACTLY the one I was thinking of at the time I wrote that... lol

However the list is so long... and the ingredients lists so disgusting... I'm afraid they might consider my list (and appropriate comments) of them, to be x - rated and not appropriate to post here. :twisted:
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » January 28th, 2006, 11:57 pm

LOL, I changed her food from Pedigree to Blue Seal Puppy food way back in 2002 when I first got her!

I was living in NH at the time and that's where it's made. But after studying and learning about what makes a good dog kibble, I never bought another bag of Blue Seal! I have to admit, the Puppy food did not read as bad as that one you posted, ewww! "Wheat middlings", what's that, floor sweepings?

Oh, too bad you did not post the whole list and your comments, that would have been good for a chuckle...

(And to "Quote" a post, look for the button "QUOTE" in red at the top right corner of the person's post that you want to quote, click that and it puts the quote in for you. It's easy... and I am a computer illiterate myself.)
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Pitcrew » January 29th, 2006, 1:07 pm

My very first dog, years ago (dont ask how long), was an english mastiff I adopted. He was being fed Blue Seal by the person who was fostering him. He was 40 pound underweight, and had terrible dry skin, and was shedding like crazy. I thought he had mange or was going to go BALD!
He was eating 10 cups a day and couldnt maintain, much less, gain weight.
After having him examined and being sure he was healthy I started doing homework on nutrition, but I didnt have to know much to know I needed to change his diet.
After changing his diet and adding appropriate suppliments, he not only gained but maintained a healthy weight of 185 on 4 cups a day.
If that doesnt say something about 'biological availability' of a diet, I dont know what does.
In les than 2 months he was transformed into an absolutely stunning dog who would be difficult to match to this day.
He is the one who made me fall in love with the bully breeds.
R.I.P. Buddy...

Oh, thanks for the 'QUOTE' info, I will try it. :D
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » January 29th, 2006, 1:24 pm

I rotate the Nature's Variety dry flavors, and add Merrick canned. This seems to be the only combination my dogs go nuts over......Merrick has to have crack in it, there's no other explanation!
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 2nd, 2006, 11:39 am

A friend of mine raises Keeshonden to show, her dogs are in the show rings and she feeds Pedigree. And they WIN.
I also think "what works for the dog" is a good bet. We've fed our youngest GSD a number of different foods and he's on Maxximum from Walmart now. He's doing great, all my dogs have shiny coats. If it isn't broken, don't fix it? :shrug:
BTW I've heard MANY people tell me that their dog (or cat) just passed away at age 15...17...18...I ask, "WOW, what did you feed him/her??" And like as not, the answer will be, "just Purina..." :o
I'm not saying that is the BEST way to feed your dog. But...I guess if it's working, okay....
(but I won't buy Kibbles and Bits!!!)
And yeah I think the Pedigree commercials ROCK! Especially the new shelter dogs one!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health