Anyone have Pitbull + small breed dog?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 9th, 2006, 1:52 pm

I was just wondering, because the dogs that Satin seems to get along with are dogs that are her size or smaller. There are dogs in the neighborhood that she LOOVES: first and foremost, Alex the beagle. She also is great with a Boston Terrier and a Pug.
She only gets along with these dogs because they don't bark nastily at her. Little mops in the neighborhood (and my MIL's yorkie) bark nasty at her and she hates that.

Was just thinking about this if we decided to get another dog once we buy a house.

Satin is a black lab/pit mix. We were also thinking she might like a boxer.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Yep, I have 2 pitbulls & 1 furry butted pom/spitz mix. Both of the pit bulls were raised with her. Both of them get along GREAT with her ( when she is not taking her life in her own hands by giving them the stink eye) but cannot stand each other. BUT, she is the ONLY other dog Munkee tolerates. He doesn't care if the other dog is big, little, girl, boy, skinny, fat or inbetween, in his mind they all need to die.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

OMG, Munkee :? What a silly boy
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Yeah, he is. He hates dogs, loves cats & people but dogs he cannot stand. He would be happy being the only dog on the planet.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 9th, 2006, 3:01 pm

I loooove Boston Terriers. I've been considering a small dog, also.

I like the idea of a Boston in terms of small dogs, because they are strong for a little dog, and I know one could keep up with my two!

I think there are lots of people on here that have multi-pets, including small dogs.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Jenn » June 9th, 2006, 4:06 pm

I do, though not sure what in the hell I was thinking. ;) Just the one, Mini Schnauzer... Maybe it was my anxiety of them hurting him, or teaming up on him, I don't know what it was.. :| After months of small attempts here and there, and brief periods of being together everyone now gets along pretty dang well. Of course, I still call everyone down if play seems to be getting too rough, but otherwise it's working out. I think it would have been a better plan with only one dog, then adding another to the mix of the smaller variety, but it didn't work out that way. Too late to turn back now..
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jesseca » June 9th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Yeah I have a pit bull and a 7lb mini doxie. They love each other. Summer plays really rough with the foster dogs, but when it comes to playing with Peanut she knows he's small so she lays down and plays tugawar with him that way. It's really funny to watch.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 9th, 2006, 5:02 pm

My friend used to have a MinPin. She lived upstairs from us so Jack shared the yard with my dogs and I used to babysit him all the time. He did awesome with the pits. They are sturdy little buggers. I was always worried he'd get trampled {Well, he always did!} and he'd break something. It was pretty funny to see him and Tank hanging out. They loved each other. They would wrestle forever.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Vanessa » June 9th, 2006, 6:09 pm

I am planning on getting a Boston Terrier too. They are small but tough and it's a tradition in my bf's family to have one. I like them cause they are small enough to pick up but big enough not to die when Oz plays with them. :wink:
Oz is always really gentle with pups or small dogs. We just came back from a walk with my friend's chihuahua and bovier mix. The chi is about 10 pounds and Oz was so gentle. It was cute.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Devin » June 10th, 2006, 12:28 am

I have Dante (pit bull) and Isabella (chihuahua). He does really good with her he is so gentle and loves to play with her. He really does great with all dogs large and small he just loves to play with all of them.
Devin
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby concreterose » June 10th, 2006, 10:53 pm

We have Daphne (rat terrier). She rules the roost with an iron fist, and none of the dogs messes with her. But Big Man (my cat) puts her in her place...she doesn't fool with him LOL
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » June 12th, 2006, 9:45 am

We only have one dog (4 1/2 yr old spayed pit bull) but we meet a lot of dogs while walking. I've noticed that she likes smaller dogs a lot more than larger dogs. She plays gently with the little ones and they love to see her. It's funny, the owners are a bit skeptical (I don't blame them!) but after a few meetings on leash all the dogs are good friends. I've thought if we were to get a second dog, a small dog like a Cavalier King Charles spaniel or a Schipperke could be a good match...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 12th, 2006, 11:32 am

gf turtle wrote:We only have one dog (4 1/2 yr old spayed pit bull) but we meet a lot of dogs while walking. I've noticed that she likes smaller dogs a lot more than larger dogs. She plays gently with the little ones and they love to see her. It's funny, the owners are a bit skeptical (I don't blame them!) but after a few meetings on leash all the dogs are good friends. I've thought if we were to get a second dog, a small dog like a Cavalier King Charles spaniel or a Schipperke could be a good match...

Yes my thoughts exactly. She is gentle with the little dogs too, maybe she thinks they are puppies!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Mind_doc » June 14th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I think I have the most muscular Boston I have ever seen. She gets such a work out from her litttle (well younger) brother. Like other people already said, my pitbull is so gentle with smaller dogs. I think because he knows he dosen't have to show off or prove himself. However, from playing all day with a smaller and much faster dog, when he plays with my friend's amstaff or neighbor's GSD, He looks like an NFL running back zipping past grade-schoolers.
I reccomend Bostons for anyone looking for a smaller cuddle buddy, bed-bug that has many of the same qualities as an APBT, just in a much smaller package. I know..APBTs' are hard cuddlers too, its just that Bostons don't hurt as much when they jump on you when your laying in bed or riding the couch.
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Postby toomanypitties » June 15th, 2006, 10:24 am

Mind_doc wrote:I reccomend Bostons for anyone looking for a smaller cuddle buddy, bed-bug that has many of the same qualities as an APBT, just in a much smaller package. I know..APBTs' are hard cuddlers too, its just that Bostons don't hurt as much when they jump on you when your laying in bed or riding the couch.

I second this!!

I have 2 Pits and a Boston. Boscoe reminds me alot of the big dogs, except he licks MORE..... He will actually fall asleep while licking my face. It's the cutest thing ever!!

:D
toomanypitties
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » June 15th, 2006, 10:26 am

I love Boston's, they are soo cute!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 15th, 2006, 10:37 am

That's awesome! Maybe this will help convince my husband!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby turtle » June 15th, 2006, 11:52 am

I'm curious, what about health problems in Bostons these days? Anyone have any info?

I remember back about 20 plus years ago, Bostons used to be horribly unhealthy as a breed. They had many genetic problems due to the big heads and short snouts. Puppies could not be born naturally, they had to have C sections, many of the dogs had severe breathing problems and they also had digestive and stomach problems and eye problems due to their bulbous eyes.

Has this changed? If you go way back in the breed, Bostons were originally bred down from small pit bulls and then changed as fashion dictated the round head and bulbous eyes.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Interesting, I don't know. Didn't pugs have the same problems?
That's a good question. Anyone with Bostons know?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby toomanypitties » June 15th, 2006, 12:35 pm

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about their health issues but I know some have breathing difficulties that actually need surgery to repair. Also, some are prone to lose an eye easier than a regular dog since they are bulgy. My boy though does not have the nose that is totally smashed against his face, and his eyes are a little more almond shaped.
When he gets super excited he snorts like a pig and seems to be having a hard time breathing, but my other dogs do it as well so I don't think it's just a Boson thing. If I tilt their head up and plug their nose that usually cures it.

I'm sure someone will know more.

:)
toomanypitties
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk