Bullyolympic Idea?!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Purple » June 9th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Click on the link to see the pics!! :D
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... 1001/RSS01
Pooches eat, dash, drill to be top dog
Canine Olympics put pets (and humans) through fun challenges.

By BILL REITER
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

June 8, 2006

Joey Iversen petted her black Russian terrier, Pirate, and smiled at the thought of Saturday's Second Annual Canine Olympics.

"Last year, Pirate lit the torch," Iversen said. "She'll be lighting it again this year."

The event that brings owners and dogs together for a little fun kicks off with registration at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Canine Craze Performance Center in Urbandale. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door.

The festivities - including a human/dog pie-eating contest, barrel racing and obstacle course, among others - run until 1 p.m.

"We wanted to help people have fun with their dogs," said Iversen, co-owner of the performance center, which holds various dogs classes.

"It's time to spend with your dog, and everyone gets a medal."

Last year's event attracted more than 150 people and their pets, Iversen said.

"We expect quite a bit more, probably 200-plus," she said. If your dog responds when you call its name, you can enter.

The idea for the Canine Olympics came when Iversen and co-owner Scott Jetter decided Des Moines didn't have enough activities for people looking to spend time with their dogs.

"The coasts have lots more events with their dogs, and we wanted Des Moines more dog-friendly," she said.

So began the birth of the pooch smooch, tunnel dash and drill team, at least in Des Moines.

Also, most popular of all, the pie-eating contest.

"The pie-eating contest is the humans against their dogs," she said.

Humans get chocolate pudding and whip cream. Dogs get a pie made of dog food topped with whipped cream.

"We thought the dogs would win, but the humans won all of them last year," she said.

To see the dogs try to redeem themselves - or to participate in other events - call (515) 222-1112.
Purple
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » June 11th, 2006, 9:46 pm

We have been finalizing the events and rules for the Bull-ympics this week and Michelle will be updating the website.
I was considering a barrel race, and even a sack race, but we allready have ALOT planned and have our work cut out for us... its less than 11 weeks away!
We will see whats popular, and take suggestions, and maybe add more things next year.
I really dont think you will be disapointed...
I know I cant wait!

Thanks though! :clap: :D
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » June 12th, 2006, 9:54 am

Actually I was just kidding...I'm not so sure I want to eat a pie with my dog!
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 12th, 2006, 10:44 am

Purple wrote:Actually I was just kidding...I'm not so sure I want to eat a pie with my dog!

I wouldn't want to eat pie with my dog. I would share it with rats, though. Man I want some rats . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » June 12th, 2006, 10:50 am

SisMorphine wrote:
Purple wrote:Actually I was just kidding...I'm not so sure I want to eat a pie with my dog!

I wouldn't want to eat pie with my dog. I would share it with rats, though. Man I want some rats . . .

I thought it was actually a funny idea.

I am in the process of trying to find rats to add to my family of craziness.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 12th, 2006, 10:54 am

luvmyangels wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:

I thought it was actually a funny idea.

I am in the process of trying to find rats to add to my family of craziness.

Same here. Unfortunately my breeder is in quarantine due to rat parvovirus so I probably won't see any babies until fall or winter. *grump*

But seriously, if Wally even thinks of licking any of my food I am THOROUGHLY grossed out and have to throw it away. But I would sit with my rats and give them a bite of food, then I'd take a bite, no biggy. They would often steal food out of my mouth too, and perform Rodentistry . . . we were close :wink:

But share anything with dog slime? YUCK!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby mnp13 » June 12th, 2006, 11:20 am

Uh....

you don't eat the pie with your dog. You each get a pie and you race your dog to finish first.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby GSDBulldog » June 12th, 2006, 6:04 pm

:| I share food with Pixie all the time? But a rat? :shock: Not gonna happen. . .
GSDBulldog
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » June 12th, 2006, 6:56 pm

I ain't sharin' my pie with anyone!!
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Purple wrote:I ain't sharin' my pie with anyone!!

:goodStuff:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Pitcrew » June 12th, 2006, 10:43 pm

You guys are a riot!

I used to have rats too... loved them. I have enough of a zoo right now... but someday I will probably have them again.

I dont have any problem sharing my food with ANY of my animals... but not my PIE!

I like pie much better than cake. Probably better than chocolate if its the right kind... better than a brownie sundae? :shock: I dunno...

Besides... if we had that contest it would have to be fair. Of course the owners win if you give the dogs a kibble pie... give 'em apple... then we'll see!
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 13th, 2006, 7:59 am

mnp13 wrote:Uh....

you don't eat the pie with your dog. You each get a pie and you race your dog to finish first.

Yeah, I just looked at the picture now.

I'd win. Wally could care less about pie :D
SisMorphine

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 13th, 2006, 11:12 am

I just made Rhubarb cake last night.....mmmm mmmm.

AND it was good for you, no cholesterol!

No dogs got any of THAT cake!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk