Pit bull attacks Denver police officer

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 11th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Pit Bull Attacks Denver Police Officer
http://cbs4denver.com/crime/local_story_162135924.html

(CBS4) DENVER Police officers shot and killed a pit bull Sunday morning on Denver's east side after it bit and wounded an officer.

The incident happened at about 9 a.m. while police were serving a warrant at the Driftwood Motel, located at 1400 Oneida. At least three officers were at a motel room trying to arrest a man wanted for a nationwide felony drug warrant, an escape warrant and a contempt of court warrant.

Division chief Steve Cooper told CBS4 officers put a "very large" dog in a bathroom when they first entered the motel room. At some point the pit bull broke out of the bathroom and then bit the male officer on the hand. The dog clamped down on the officer's hand and held on, according to police.

"The officers at the scene told me it was a very severe dog bite," Cooper said.

The officer was taken to Denver General Hospital and was listed as being in fair condition at noon Sunday.

"They are assessing him now to determine if there was tendon damage or ligament damage and exactly what the extent of his injury is," Cooper said.

Neighbors told CBS4 they heard officers fire their guns at least five times when the dog was killed.

"I heard a dog barking ferociously and as the dog was barking ferociously the next thing I know I heard about 5, 6, 7 (or) 8 gunshots," neighbor Michael Grooms told CBS4.

Cooper said his officers did what they had to do.

"I believe that more than one officer fired," Cooper said. "The dog was in the process of attacking and the other officers just responded."

A man and a woman were taken into custody in the incident, but it was unclear if they were the owners of the dog.

Charges were expected to be filed against the owner of the dog, if police are able to determine who the dog's owner is.

It is illegal to own a pit bull in the city of Denver.

:nono:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 11th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Oh smurf
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL