puppy acne

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby babyreba » June 10th, 2006, 10:26 am

Tucker seems to have developed a case of puppy acne on his chin. I know some people will tell you to rub some rubbing alcohol on it, but that doesn't seem particularly nice . . . it stings, it dries, etc.

Has anyone got any experience treating this?
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 10th, 2006, 10:33 am

My aunt and uncle let it go with their pups. For one it cleared up on it's own, for the other they had to go to the vet for some prescription meds to help it on it's way.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 10th, 2006, 10:36 am

Inara's cleared up on its own. I know sometimes it's caused by being fed/watered out of plastic bowls.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » June 10th, 2006, 10:40 am

Use stainless steel bowls that are washed often.

You can also wipe the pup's chin with Seabreeze or another astringent after the pup eats.

Sometimes it does go away on it's own.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » June 10th, 2006, 1:10 pm

some plastic toys will do this to rufus. he only gets hard hard plastic, like kongs, and has stainless steel bowls. wipe his chin too
Maryellen
I live here

Postby babyreba » June 10th, 2006, 1:32 pm

tucker's bowls are ceramic, so it's not the bowls.

but he does have a plastic jolly ball and he gets a kong almost every day. maybe one of those is causing it.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 10th, 2006, 2:56 pm

babyreba wrote:tucker's bowls are ceramic, so it's not the bowls.

but he does have a plastic jolly ball and he gets a kong almost every day. maybe one of those is causing it.

Ceramic bowls that aren't properly sealed can hold as much bacteria as a plastic bowl. My vet always recommends stainless steel.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » June 11th, 2006, 6:19 am

Marinepits wrote:
babyreba wrote:tucker's bowls are ceramic, so it's not the bowls.

Ceramic bowls that aren't properly sealed can hold as much bacteria as a plastic bowl. My vet always recommends stainless steel.

Yep, and stainless steel will keep a dog's nose from turning white...

I'd suggest astringent or those oxy-10 wipes....they're safe on animals (as long as your dog isn't eating the wipe)...and they work on animals the same as they work on humans....that's what my vet had suggested
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » June 11th, 2006, 7:38 am

Oh, and occasionally I'll take all the dogs' hard toys such as the Nylabones, Galileos, etc, and run them thru the dishwasher (full cycle) without detergent.

Their "softer" toys, like the Jolly Ball, get the occasional hand washing.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby babyreba » June 11th, 2006, 9:51 am

poor tucker. i guess he won't get to see the words "GOOD DOG" printed on the bottom of his dish every time he finishes eating!

actually, he used to eat out of stainless, but he kept tipping them and pushing them around . . . i'll have to get a feeder for him i spose.

i've been wiping his chin with Sea Breeze, and he's none too pleased.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 11th, 2006, 2:31 pm

babyreba wrote:poor tucker. i guess he won't get to see the words "GOOD DOG" printed on the bottom of his dish every time he finishes eating!

actually, he used to eat out of stainless, but he kept tipping them and pushing them around . . . i'll have to get a feeder for him i spose.

i've been wiping his chin with Sea Breeze, and he's none too pleased.

I found a great anti-tip stainless bowl...the only one my dogs CAN'T tip...I'll try to find a link for you...

You could also get a stand....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder