Lesson learned

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Miakoda » June 9th, 2006, 5:29 pm

We spend a lot of time discussing & educating others on how "pit bulls" are not to be trusted alone together unsupervised & to not be trusted on not to fight. But a friend, & vet where I work, learned her lesson about leaving ANY breed of dog alone together 24/7.

You see, she lives out in the country so all her dogs & the dogs belonging to the girl who lives her (an ex-tech who moved in w/her after she dumped her evil boyfriend) live in a "pack" & are together 24/7. EXCEPT for the 2 "pit bulls" (foundlings) who are separated when they aren't there. Last night things changed for this pack as Casey's (the vet) 8 yr Boston Terrier, BB, was killed by Aspen, a GSD. No one was home at the time so who knows the circumstances behind the attack. But this is just a reminder to all those who just expect all dogs to get along forever & ever just b/c their NOT pit bulls. Dogs fight. That's just the way it is.

Some people get so comfortable with their dogs being together all the time & never think that they may need their own "space". Do what's right...separate your dogs when you're not home. Or don't be too shocked when one is severely injured or even killed.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 9th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Yup.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby Jesseca » June 9th, 2006, 5:45 pm

That is very true. All mine are crated while we are gone. It's gives them all time to be alone.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Poor BB. RIP, little guy.

She's lucky that it didn't turn into a major brawl with more dogs involved and possibly injured or killed.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Miakoda » June 9th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Marinepits wrote:Poor BB. RIP, little guy.

She's lucky that it didn't turn into a major brawl with more dogs involved and possibly injured or killed.

VERY lucky. Considering there were 5 dogs left loose together, it definitely could've turned ugly....well, uglier.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 6:00 pm

It will be interesting to see how the pack dynamics shift.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 8:10 pm

People tell me I am crazy for yelling at them to seperate their dogs when they are not home. A friend of mine recently lost her Boston, her Shar Pei killed it, there was NEVER any problem between them before. I warned her, she ignored me and she lost her beloved dog.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » June 9th, 2006, 9:21 pm

It's going to be horrible for my parents when it happens to them. They have a Satndard Poodle and a Pomeranian. They get into spats when they are supervised.

Some people have their heads in the sand, and they want them there.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » June 9th, 2006, 10:49 pm

All my dogs, seperated, whenever we are not home.
What a horrible way to learn a lesson.
Purple
I live here

Postby pocketpit » June 10th, 2006, 2:32 am

I wish people could see the huge numbers of dogs we get in the clinic for treatment because their owners don't seperate. We recently had a Yorkie in that was killed by the other Yorkies in the household. It's a horrible lession to learn the hard way. :(
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby bahamutt99 » June 10th, 2006, 8:50 am

mnp13 wrote:Some people have their heads in the sand, and they want them there.

Hehe. I like that. And I don't want to hear about it when the sand gets up yer nose, thank ya very much! LOL.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » June 10th, 2006, 9:17 am

That's a tough way to learn a lesson. :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Sully&LibbysMama » June 11th, 2006, 12:28 am

That is very sad. That is why I encourage my friends to crate train all of their dogs, whether single dog or multiple dog household.

You just never know if and when you will add another dog to the mix, have a friend or relative who brings one...

Just better safe than sorry... :(
Sully&LibbysMama
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 11th, 2006, 10:06 am

ok... who can find the PBF thread about this from just over a year ago with the pictures?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » June 11th, 2006, 2:39 pm

are you referring to the pictures post fight of the kitchen? If so, those would be my pictures.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 11th, 2006, 2:46 pm

pocketpit wrote:are you referring to the pictures post fight of the kitchen? If so, those would be my pictures.

I didn't know that was you!?! Yes, those are the ones I am referring to. They are a good (though very graphic) wakeup call for people who refuse to separate their dogs because they "have always gotten along"
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » June 11th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Yes that was me. I was away at a conference 2 years ago and my husband was in charge of the dogs. The day I was returning he left for his friends house down the street. We had two males that had always gotten along but I alway seperated when we left. He chose not to that day and we'll never know if they started something or if it was the other dogs but something went very wrong. We have a two bedroom house and Brooks was put into one bedroom and Kade into the other. Somehow they both were out of their rooms when he came home to find what he did. They obviously had gone over the x-pen that seperated the kitchen and living room, fought, and then went back over the gate. The pen had not been moved yet Brooks was back in a bedroom and we found Kade upstairs hiding behind the drywall of the attic back in the rafters. Both were covered in blood but there was none in the living room of bedrooms short of one or two smears where they had brushed against the wall. Crash and Boone were laying in the kitchen exhausted and had the worst wounds of anyone. Boone had to be euthanized several days later when it became apparent that he had not only gone into SIRS but his ears and head had suffered so much tissue damage that his ears would have to be completely amputated and he would have had to have several ablation and recontructive surgeries after that. There were a few punctures and small lacerations but the crushing injuries cut off the circulation to his ears and the surrounding areas . My little pansy momma's boy would never had endured that well and I chose to end his pain.
Brooks hates Crash with a passion so the two who escaped from the rooms could have started it, we'll never know but the point is that anything can happen and it's a horrible lesson to have to learn first hand.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 11th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I did not bring it up to make an "example" out of anyone, but it is an excellent example of what can happen even with dogs that get along. In your case, you had two dogs that didn't like each other in the first place but even the other two got involved...

and that 'pack mentality' relates directly to the Dog Park discussion as well!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » June 11th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Oh, I know you were not pointing any fingers, I just thought I'd tell the story again because you're right, it's an excellent example of just how wrong things can go.
We had seperated the two dogs that didn't get along and even seperated two that did, but were neglectful in not seperating the other two that liked one another. Not only was that a mistake but even with seperating the others they somehow managed to get loose. So some precautions were taken and it all still ended in tradgedy. You can never be "too safe"!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk