Question regarding where to get vaccinations

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » June 9th, 2006, 9:27 pm

i dont give the lyme, because i heard that if the dog has lyme and gets the vaccine they get a bad reaction, and that its only 30% effective. i do titers , so when the vaccine level is low then i revaccinate for that one.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2006, 9:29 pm

gf turtle wrote:
Miakoda wrote:One, if you buy your vaccines from a feed store, make sure it is a reputable facility that handles all vaccines properly & in a timely manner! Too many feed stores just let boxes sit for long periods of time before unpacking them, thus allowing vaccines inside to reach room temp. Once a vaccine reaches room temp, it has a life span of UNDER 72 hrs in which it is still effective! Of the majority of parvo (which we always have approx. 7-10 parvo dogs in the clinic at all times) & distemper cases, those dogs that were vaccinated were done so with vaccines bought from some random feed store.

Two, as far as lepto is concerned, yes it is the "main" vaccine thought to cause allergic reactions in dogs. HOWEVER, by people refusing to no longer vaccinate against it, 2005 was an OUTBREAK year for the virus in both dogs & HUMANS! (it's transmissible!). We see on average 5-10 documented/proven cases of leptospirosis yearly & so far we've been unable to save any of those dogs due to the extreme damge to the liver & kidneys. And so far this year, lepto is also on the rise in incidents especially in the northwest region. If you are determined that you dog will not get the vaccine, then make sure he stays away from all rodents & never goes swimming in a creek or pond........ever. And good luck with that task. If you want to vaccinate for it but are uncomfortable about a reaction (mind you less than 10% of all dogs have an allergic reaction to the 8in1 vaccine & not all of those are due to lepto), then give your dog some Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) about 1 hour before vaccinating & again 4 hours after vaccinating. (dosage is 1-2mg per lb of body weight).

Good post! And some excellent info!

Yes, I'd also heard that there has been more Lepto outbreaks in the Pacific Northwest. If I lived there, I'd take my chances with the shot.

I posted this before, but there was an outbreak of lepto with our dogs last year (March/April). While I understand that people are worried about the reactions caused by the lepto vaccine...it can't be worse than the disease itself. Sacha went from 55 lbs to 42...one GSD went from 98 lbs to 80. 6 weeks of antibiotics. Several hundred $$ on tests, IV fluids, etc. Had we not all caught this early enough, we could've looked at an even greater expense: a dead dog.

I'd much rather have an allergic reaction than ever deal with that again.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby luvmyangels » June 9th, 2006, 9:45 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I posted this before, but there was an outbreak of lepto with our dogs last year (March/April). While I understand that people are worried about the reactions caused by the lepto vaccine...it can't be worse than the disease itself. Sacha went from 55 lbs to 42...one GSD went from 98 lbs to 80. 6 weeks of antibiotics. Several hundred $$ on tests, IV fluids, etc. Had we not all caught this early enough, we could've looked at an even greater expense: a dead dog.

That had to be horrible.

Please note I always planned to do the lepto. The lyme has been more of the concern.

I was just really annoyed that my vet wanted to charge me so much. I now know my local Petco is doing the lepto vaccine this Sunday. But I am also looking into doing it myself.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 9th, 2006, 10:26 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:Drs. Foster & Smith?

Well when I worked I got them from Fort Dodge and it was much cheaper. I'd do that again. I got them from our local feed store as of late, and they seem to do good. I know they unpack them as soon as they arrive.
Vets say not to do that for one thing, because they want the business.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2006, 10:27 pm

luvmyangels wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:I posted this before, but there was an outbreak of lepto with our dogs last year (March/April). While I understand that people are worried about the reactions caused by the lepto vaccine...it can't be worse than the disease itself. Sacha went from 55 lbs to 42...one GSD went from 98 lbs to 80. 6 weeks of antibiotics. Several hundred $$ on tests, IV fluids, etc. Had we not all caught this early enough, we could've looked at an even greater expense: a dead dog.

That had to be horrible.

Please note I always planned to do the lepto. The lyme has been more of the concern.

I was just really annoyed that my vet wanted to charge me so much. I now know my local Petco is doing the lepto vaccine this Sunday. But I am also looking into doing it myself.

My post wasn't meant to be against you...please don't think that!!! I know that many people are against the lepto vaccine. I understand why...but I also understand the alternative.

I have started to give all my vaccines here. It's so much cheaper, and so easy to do....

I also give my dogs the lyme vaccine...but lyme is rampant in this area...and we do tracking (S&R) through the woods, as well as wooded searches for bitework...any given Saturday has me picking ticks off of my dogs...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » June 9th, 2006, 10:29 pm

luvmyangels wrote:

That had to be horrible.

Check around - because here in this area a vet clinic comes thru and vaccinates all your animals if you bring them, the clinics are at local pet stores. We had 4 rabies vaccines to do and at 17/vet clinic v. 12/traveling vaccine clinic, we saved $20.00.
LUCKILY our vet clinic won't even charge a vet visit if you just have the vaccine. But we still do the other combos at home.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 9th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Jesseca wrote:You don't need a script for vaccines. I vaccinate all my dogs, except for Rabies, because that has to be done by a vet

We (the rescue) need to look at getting 3 packages from Ft. Dodge, they waive s&h if you get three. The shots end up being $2.00 each.

http://www.wyeth.com/divisions/fort_dodge.asp

You call and they are delivered the next day.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » June 10th, 2006, 12:01 am

Mary Ann I feel your pain!!!The NY vets went too high.....In my vet just to walk in is 60$.Now I'm going to Petco,not because I coudn't afford that,but I feel for being at the vets office for like 10 minutes with waiting,then paying for the shots like 5 times more then I could order it,It makes me puke.
So I decided to go to the vet only if it's emergency!!!
Like last year Maya had a wart on her head,and was noticable,we went to the vet,and they said they can remove it for 500 $ !!!!!!!And I'm not kidding!!!Then one of my friend asked me why don't I try to use the one wart remover from the local Pharmacy?I got the cream for arround 10-15 $ and the next day the wart was gone!
:idea1:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health