Manditory chipping of dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 9th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Quote:
If you turn in an unregistered litter/breeder and a fine results, you get half the proceeds. It would be self-policing!

Why couldn't you do this with licensing/chipping?

I suppose you could. Although how would people know that you do not have a license or microchip? It is not apparent by looking at the dog. But people who are breeding have to sell the pups, they have to advertise somehow, and intact male dogs are pretty obvious. You could easily alert the aco. I guess my issue is that microchips are really to help responsible owners, where as a breeding license would curb unwanted litters and force puppy mill owners to be a little more honest. If they are busted once, no more business. Ever. It would make speutering worth the money to the sort of folks who don't bother to speuter then just unload mixed pups every 6 months or year. Right now you just pay 20 bucks a year extra on the license, IF they are licensed. It is $250 for a spay in this area.

As far as the licensing, there are really no fines involved if you are caught-you get a warning, you have months to get your dog licensed, and if you are 6 months late renewing, they just give you a dirty look (yes, I am horrible at remembering that sort of thing and when we moved I forgot to change the license.) Maybe actually fining people rather than lenient warnings would be better. I should have been fined when I forgot. I would not have forgotten if there would be a stiff fine if I did .

Again, enforce the rules we have now.

I do not expect for real that any breeding laws will take place-the AKC shot down the last one I saw. I put it out there knowing it will never really happen.

Another part of my issue is the AKC is one of the major micro-chip providers, and I do not like supporting them. Their stance on exluding all mixed breeds in performance sports is not very pro-dog in my opinion. They exist only to encourage breeding of purebred dogs and make money, and I think that the mixes in the pounds are every bit as deserving of homes, resources, and sports opportunities.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 9th, 2006, 2:36 pm

there is no difference between a license and a chip the chip WOULD BE the license.

Instead of getting a little metal tag, you would have the chip inside the dog. It's a license that can't be lost. That is the only difference with the proposed legislation. the only difference. People who don't bother to follow the current mandatory licensing laws probably won't follow the new one, but that really doesn't have to do with anything.

Frankly, I seriously doubt you're going to find cops who have the time or interest in writing tickets for not haveing your dog licensed. they don't have the time for it, and don't want the hassle. A few times a year the Sheriff goes into the park near my house and hand out ticket to people who have thier dogs off leash, but that's about it.

As for the breeding, we already have those laws as well. People selling over a certian number of puppies a year must register as pet dealers.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » June 9th, 2006, 3:41 pm

This is the actual proposal that was put forward on June 6th:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09775&sh=t
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby bahamutt99 » June 10th, 2006, 8:56 am

I am against it, because its 8:00am and I've stayed up all night. Of course, I think I have a fully chipped house. Can't tell you for sure because, well, its 8:00am and I've stayed up all night.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » June 10th, 2006, 9:17 am

bahamutt99 wrote:I am against it, because its 8:00am and I've stayed up all night. Of course, I think I have a fully chipped house. Can't tell you for sure because, well, its 8:00am and I've stayed up all night.

:?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby panda » June 10th, 2006, 3:36 pm

I think it is a great idea. Licensing is mandatory here in Oregon, but many people don't do it. I realize many won't micro chip either, but I am still in favor of it. Because of a micro chip, we just got back one of our dogs that was found as a stray after being adopted 6 months ago. We would rather have the dog back with us, ( if the abandonment is going to happen anyway ) so we can deal with the people who did it and care for our dog while looking for a proper home for him. Without that micro chip I hate to think what would've happened to him :(
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby bahamutt99 » June 10th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Okay, I'm good and awake now, but I'm still fundamentally against it. I choose to chip my dogs. Other people choose not even to feed them. I can see the enforcement of such a law falling only upon those who already are willing to do the right thing by their pets. Tulsa has a spay/neuter law, but casual breeding is still a big-time problem here.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk