The crying NEVER stops!!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby anissa » June 9th, 2006, 11:44 am

Thinking about them not getting along, makes my heart hurt. I realize that it will be MY fault. After reading some posts here about male pits not being suitable for each other, I paniced. What have i gotten myself into? I feel guilty for doing this to them, but I would feel even more guilty giving up on them. I do not want to be thrown into the 'irresponsible owner' category, because I sincerely love this breed and would do anything possible to save any one them. This situation is one of a million reasons why these dogs are abandoned, and I will not allow that to happen to either Brock or Charlie. I made a committment by getting a new pup, to love it and give it a safe home, regardless of my gender mistake.

Ive thought deeply about finding Brock a new RESPONSIBLE home, not because I am not up for the challenge, but for both dogs happiness. But unless I find a home I feel is suitable and capable of giving Brock the kind of love and attention I know that I can give.. I'm going to take the 50-50 chance.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 9th, 2006, 11:55 am

even a male/female set up can hate each other- ask cheeky.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Maryellen wrote:even a male/female set up can hate each other- ask cheeky.

Oh yes, my male & female despise each other. They are seperated 24/7 & have been since day 1. It is a pain in the ass & if I didn't have my 24 year old daughter & my brother living with me I am not sure I could handle it. We have made HUGE adjustments in our daily lives and what we do works for us but like I said, there are 3 adults here so none of the dogs goes without attention. Mine are not crated, they are in seperate rooms & have never tried to go through the door after each other. With MINE, it is "out of sight, out of mind" but not ALL are like that. Some dogs will go through walls and doors to go after the other.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 9th, 2006, 12:29 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
Maryellen wrote:even a male/female set up can hate each other- ask cheeky.

Oh yes, my male & female despise each other. They are seperated 24/7 & have been since day 1. It is a pain in the fanny & if I didn't have my 24 year old daughter & my brother living with me I am not sure I could handle it. We have made HUGE adjustments in our daily lives and what we do works for us but like I said, there are 3 adults here so none of the dogs goes without attention. Mine are not crated, they are in seperate rooms & have never tried to go through the door after each other. With MINE, it is "out of sight, out of mind" but not ALL are like that. Some dogs will go through walls and doors to go after the other.

I have alot of respect for you living like that---must be taxing, but I applaud you . . . :clap:

Even in non-pitbull homes, same sex pack order battles can occur---they just tend to be worse with pitbulls due to strength and breeding.

There are never any guarantees in same sex, or as Cheeky has experienced, opposite sex multi-dog homes.

I have known two females, mother and daughter, who lived together and got along forever, have an enormous battle when the mom-dog developed cancer. It ended in a vet visit and severe injuries.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have witnessed two male Toy Fox Terriers who have lived together for years go at each other because one of them is aging.

Just be aware that the shoe can drop even in old age. :(
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 9th, 2006, 12:46 pm

why thank you!

I was looking at a Boxer rescue site last night & they stated several times that they will NOT adopt out females to homes that already have a female dog of ANY breed due to same sex aggresion. Boxers even, who knew? :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 9th, 2006, 12:49 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:why thank you!

I was looking at a Boxer rescue site last night & they stated several times that they will NOT adopt out females to homes that already have a female dog of ANY breed due to same sex aggresion. Boxers even, who knew? :|

Oh yeah . . . Boxers can be dog aggressive, too, and female pairings result in some of the worse fights with any breed.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 9th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Sounds like you have tried lots of things anissa, but I do think this will go away eventually. I have heard breeders who adopt out puppies give the new owners a blanket or T-shirt with the smell of the mom on it. Since it seems the pup is happy/not crying when he's playing with Charlie, can you possibly give him a blanket that smells like Charlie to sleep with? Maybe that will make him happy.

I really do think he misses his brothers & sisters. Going from playing & sleeping in a puppy pile to being all by yourself has got to be sad for him.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 9th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Mine are not crated, they are in seperate rooms & have never tried to go through the door after each other. With MINE, it is "out of sight, out of mind" but not ALL are like that. Some dogs will go through walls and doors to go after the other.

Mine would not go through the door, but I have kids, and I worry that the door would get opened and left open, or a dog would squeeze through. If you are an adult only home, doors would be fine for most dogs.

We have had several incidences of either kids or company leaving the wrong door open here, so I have learned to just crate. I hate having the kids feel responsible for something bad with the dogs, when I am the one who set the situation up in the first place.

You may want to keep an ear out for another home, just in case. You never know when a good one may come by, God has a way of arranging things like that.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk