Ear cleaning recipe!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Doing research for Jenny's ears...

Ingredients:

White vinegar
Powdered boric acid
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
Betadine antiseptic (or generic equivalent)

Directions for mixing the solution together:

Pour 6 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of boric acid powder.
Add 2 ounces of white vinegar.

Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is fully dissolved.
Once the powder is dissolved, add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and
shake it up some more.

Squirt the solution inside your dog's ear until the ear canal is completely full.
Massage the outside of the ear to help slosh the cleaning solution around inside.
Hold the dog still for about a minute.

Be sure to shake the solution up really well before each and every time you use it.
The boric acid has a tendency to settle at the bottom of the bottle.
Store at room temperature.

Use the cleaning solution daily until you start to see some improvement.
Gradually cut back to once per week when you are happy with the condition of the ear.
When the ear seems completely free of infection, you can go two weeks between treatments.

This recipe came to you from Jim & Kellyn Zimmerlin
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Just a quick tip---some dogs hate the squirty noise squirty bottles make.

Also, you can buy pre-made stuff, or even ear wipes, just to get the immediate gunk out.

Be careful . . . some over-the-counter stuff shouldn't be used in conjunction with one another.

Good recipe, though~thanks. Good luck!! :)

Let us know how you make out.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Miakoda » June 8th, 2006, 6:10 pm

I use a 50/50 Winter Green Alcohol & White Vinegar mix. HOWEVER, alcohol burns like the dickens on sores & cuts, so if a dog has a severely infected ear & has been scratching at it a lot, I suggest a premade/storebought one minus the alcohol (I like the Nolvasan flush for times like this).

Also, I pur the cleanser on a cotton ball, put int just inside the dogs ear, lower the flap (if ears aren't cropped) & mush it all around. All my dogs appreciate this procedure vs. the pour in/spray in. Repeat if necessary & then use dry cotton balls to soak up & pull out any gunk.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Miakoda wrote:I use a 50/50 Winter Green Alcohol & White Vinegar mix. HOWEVER, alcohol burns like the dickens on sores & cuts, so if a dog has a severely infected ear & has been scratching at it a lot, I suggest a premade/storebought one minus the alcohol (I like the Nolvasan flush for times like this).

Also, I pur the cleanser on a cotton ball, put int just inside the dogs ear, lower the flap (if ears aren't cropped) & mush it all around. All my dogs appreciate this procedure vs. the pour in/spray in. Repeat if necessary & then use dry cotton balls to soak up & pull out any gunk.

yes, yes!! I agree! Try to wipe stuff out vs. pouring liquid in---my dogs also prefer that . . . good tip, Mia. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Good ideas, thanks. Jenny's ears are so bad that I can smell her from across the room. :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Miakoda » June 8th, 2006, 8:34 pm

msvette2u wrote:Good ideas, thanks. Jenny's ears are so bad that I can smell her from across the room. :(

Sounds like a short round of Prednisone might do her some good as well. At least it would help with the inflammation & irrittion & allow you to get the cleaner and meds in the canal better.

Poor baby.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Aww man, that is sad. I would think alcohol would burn like crazy with a severe infection anyway. When I was litle I had a pretty bad ear infection but it was undiagnosed. It hadn't really bothered me enough to complain about (when I was little a visit to the doctor automatically meant a SHOT so I made sure I was 1/2 dead before complaining), we went swimming & THAT is when it started hurting. My mom put some kind of "swimmers ear" stuff that contained alcohol & DAMN that burned like hell. I thought my ear was going to explode. I got a shot. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 8:48 pm

I want to clean her ears really badly because the stench is killing me and she's shaking her head (which really makes it reek in here) and scratching occasionally and rubbing BUT I'm afraid of that, Cheeky. I don't want her biting me - and starting off on that foot too! She barked when both kids came home, I can only imagine the stroke she'll have when Jeff who is 6'2" comes home at 7:30pm or so! So I think I'll let her be, and let her settle in before causing her that kind of stress.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 9:15 pm

How is she tolerating this huge change in general, do you think??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Really well actually. Alot better than I'd have thought. She's ok with the kids now that they are here, and barely noticed Jeff come home. She just kind of finds a spot and lays down.
Earlier at dinner she turned her nose up at the Beneful that came with her and wanted something else!! So I gave her the "Blue" and she scarfed it down.
Every time I go into the kitchen she comes in as if expecting me to feed her. lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 9th, 2006, 10:06 am

msvette2u wrote:Really well actually. Alot better than I'd have thought. She's ok with the kids now that they are here, and barely noticed Jeff come home. She just kind of finds a spot and lays down.
Earlier at dinner she turned her nose up at the Beneful that came with her and wanted something else!! So I gave her the "Blue" and she scarfed it down.
Every time I go into the kitchen she comes in as if expecting me to feed her. lol

Wow, it's amazing how reslient dogs can be, isn't it?

That's cute about dinner. Somehow she quickly assessed there was better grub to be had at your house, lol . . .

I would have such a hard time giving an old gal like her to an adoptive home, but I guess maybe a quieter home would be best for her, you think?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 9th, 2006, 10:19 am

OH yeah if a quieter home can come along that'd be best. There's so many dogs here ( lol ) that she's kinda overwhelmed but taking it all VERY well. She slept last night on our bed! She is on Small time's petfinder as well as another of my friends' petfinder page with a pic, and she's listed in the classifieds too. Needless to say people aren't pounding down my door to get to her :(
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health