The crying NEVER stops!!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maryellen » June 8th, 2006, 2:41 pm

yeah but rocky was 4 months old, this pup is 6 weeks old.. he has to be able to wake up mom to potty, as a 6 week old can not hold it thru the night, he will be getting up at least 2-3 times during the night to potty..

i never ignore my dogs or any dogs whining . if they have to go potty, i want them to learn that whining will get them outside to potty.. however, after a while i know the difference between i just want to come out and i have to poop really bad.... even now, withmy dogs, if one whines during the night with a certain tone i automatically get up and let them outside.. tooo many nights of cleaning up the runs on my carpet taught me that.. when the dogs whine a certain way, get up fast and open the door...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 8th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Thats exactly why I said he was 4 months old. I dont know anything about puppies that young. You are right about telling the type of whine. Ok maybe to make the tolerance easier instead of totally ignoring as I did, get a baby monitor which you can controll the volume. I did this when my kids were babies and crying just for attention. Turn the volume low you can hear the cry and what type it is but it is not as loud, soon the baby would stop crying listen..no ones coming cry some more fall asleep. It was easier to tolerate the crying when the volume was low.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby anissa » June 8th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I got some sleep! :clap: My husband came home for a long lunch and made sure he was taken out and played with, then my daughter did the same when she got home from school. You have no idea what an extra 2 hours of sleep has done for my patience and sanity level.

As for rotating potty nights with my husband, its a great idea, but not something we can do right now. Jake is in the Army and getting ready to deploy in a month, so they are going through alot of training right now that he NEEDS to be attentive for. My daughter also needs to sleep, so she's not falling asleep during classes. I dont mind having to be the one to always get up, considering Im at home all day anyways. The crate is in the office/kitchen area (we have sort of an open floor plan with only a small bar seperating the kitchen/office/living room. I have been sleeping on the couch, far enough away and out of his sight, but close enough to hear him whine to go out at night. Its an xlarge wire crate that we had for Charlie. Maybe I should put him back into the small one for bedtime, and only use the bigger one during the day so he has room to play if he's awake? We dont use a sheet over the crate, but it is pitch dark in our house when the lights are out. He has the ticking toy and the sound of water flowing in the fish tank beside him.

dogcrazyjen.. we only tried the attention thing one night (last night) so the crying/whining isnt because he's gotten used to the whine - get attention bit. We tried a week of ignore it, and will be going back to ignore it, now that we know attention wont work either. Actually Im REALLY glad it didnt work, because I dont want to have to sing/talk/play him to sleep every night, but I was so tired last night, we were willing to try anything.

The wine idea sounds damn good! :D

Cuda - I was thinking of filling the bath, and drowning MYSELF! lol

I just took him out and played with him abit before I sat down to reply. I put him back into the crate, and although there was alittle whining, he seems pretty content and playing in there again, by himself, quietly.

Go figure.. next time I have a problem with the dogs, Im going to post it here immediately, and maybe it'll stop. lol
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 8th, 2006, 3:29 pm

at least you got some sleep!!! he should settle in to your routine and house by the end of the 2nd week.. you can either put him in the smaller crate at nighttime bed or leave him in the larger crate. put a sheet over the top and see if that helps settle him down.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 8th, 2006, 3:37 pm

FYI, I did the guitar thing with Tess, worked like a charm. Now when I play guitar for Tom, my son, she and Jack fly up the stairs to get the best spot on the bed next to me, lulls the beasties to sleep every time!

It wasn't a bad idea, as you said you have to pick one and go with it.

Are you using a plastic kennel? Tess did much better in plastic than in a wire one.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 4:06 pm

I still think the guitar thing is hysterical. Very creative, folks. :)

I sang out of desperation, and to this day, if I start singing, his eyes get woozy looking. Funny, the stuff that sticks with them.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 4:10 pm

When Munkee was a baby he slept with me ( still does). He was usually prrtty good about going to sleep but one night he had the wiggles & couldn't sleep. I was exhausted & not in the best of moods. He was being still, when all of a sudden he got a burst of energy & started trying to tug with my hair. I grabbed him by his front legs, gave him a shake & said "go to sleep you little crap". He lay down & went to sleep. My daughter claims I gave him shaken puppy syndrome.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby anissa » June 8th, 2006, 5:31 pm

lol a-bull! I wouldnt dare try singing to mine, they'de probably drop dead on the spot.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Vanessa » June 8th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Oz cried when i first got him but only for like 2 nights. He loves when my boyfriend plays the guitar for him too. A crying puppy is really annoying :( I hope that he stops for you soon.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby girlie » June 8th, 2006, 6:01 pm

I sang to my girl as well, only because it worked with my kids and i didn't want her hairy butt in my bed. Now she just gets all silly and licks my face like crazy if i start singing to her.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 6:09 pm

anissa wrote:lol a-bull! I wouldnt dare try singing to mine, they'de probably drop dead on the spot.

funny story~my female was 11 mos. when I got her, and the first time I drove with her in the car, I belted out a song and she barked all sorts of nasty at me---scared me to death, because I didn't know her background! Turns out, I guess, I just scared her to death with my voice, because now that she's use to it, she's fine, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby anissa » June 8th, 2006, 6:40 pm

a-bull.. i think you should make and share a video of you singing while capturing her reaction! lol lol
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 7:53 pm

I'm glad you got some sleep!! You don't seem as stressed as you did earlier. It'll get better, just like with human babies. Oh wait..........
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 8:34 pm

anissa wrote:a-bull.. i think you should make and share a video of you singing while capturing her reaction! lol lol

lol . . . she actually doesn't even care anymore, although I will get the occasional head tilt. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby anissa » June 9th, 2006, 1:03 am

a-bull wrote:
anissa wrote:a-bull.. i think you should make and share a video of you singing while capturing her reaction! lol lol

lol . . . she actually doesn't even care anymore, although I will get the occasional head tilt. :)

Oh but Im sure we'de all get a kick out of hearing you sing :P
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 9th, 2006, 8:27 am

You don't seem as stressed as you did earlier. It'll get better, just like with human babies. Oh wait..........

Then they get to be teens and you worry when you DON'T hear them! Having a 15 year old is as bad as a newborn, they keep you up all night worrying rather than crying.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby turtle » June 9th, 2006, 10:54 am

Uhmm, I am not trying to start trouble or be mean but I have a few concerns and questions. I read a bit about your intro and your 2 dogs. Your Charlie is very handsome! He sounds like a great dog.

But I am wondering why you got a puppy in the first place? You said it was for Charlie to have a little brother... but dogs don't really work that way. You also said that Charlie does not like male dogs and he's fine with females. Yet the pup Brock that you bought is a male. Why didn't you get a female?

I am just seeing trouble down the road when Brock grows up. Rescues do not adopt same sex pit bull placements and it's a bad idea to have 2 pit bulls of the same sex. It really takes a very experienced pit bull owner to make it work and many times it does not work and one dog would have to be re-homed. Male/female pairs work much better.

Even raising a puppy with an adult does not mean they won't fight when they mature. Charlie is only 2 years and that's pretty young. It seems if you wanted a second pit bull, you would have been better off with a young female that you could judge her temperament better. And your Charlie likes females...

Again, this is not meant as an attack or anything, just honest questions and concerns about your having 2 male pit bulls...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby anissa » June 9th, 2006, 11:25 am

Well.. we we decided to get a new puppy (planned on a smaller breed) but when we came across an ad for pitpups, we fell in love with the idea of another one. When we realized that the seller was a BYB and only selling them for $50.00 - $200.00 we grabbed the one she was selling for $50.00. Not because money was an issue for us (as we went straight to the vet afterwards and spent another couple hundred anyways) but because in our head, we were thinking if anyone were to want a 'cheap' dog to use in malicious ways, they'de be more likely to spend $50.00 than $200.00. I suppose we were thinking we could be saving this pup in a way, while adding to our family.

I'll admit that prior to getting the puppy, we didnt have very extensive knowledge about the breed. We were ignorant to assume that just because one is a puppy that they'de grow up to love each other, both being male. But after joining this forum, I have spent every waking moment, reading and learning as much as I can. Thats not to say that I am an over-night expert, I still have ALOT to learn.. but for the safety and love of my dogs.. I will do and learn whatever I need to, to become a responsible and caring owner.

I may very well have made a mistake by taking the male pup, but I dont plan on giving up on them. Its not going to be easy, and this whining/crying situation is really only a small bump in our road ahead, but hopefully with the help of everyone here, and the club here in Watertown.. we'll make it work.

Yes.. we know Charlie likes females, he has regular play dates with a friend of ours pitbull. Unfortunately the only time he's been around an adult male dog (a non-terrier breed) was my husbands parents dog, and after seeing Charlie with this female pit and our puppy, its made me second guess if they really didnt get along, or if it was just us parents being overprotective. We didnt allow them to go any further than chasing each other.. as Charlie went for his neck, we paniced and seperated them for the rest of the visit. Again.. it was ignorance on my part, not realizing then, that thats infact how Charlie plays, both with Lilly and our pup.

Charlie is a very calm and laid back type dog. Thats not to say that aggression cant pop up in a matter of seconds, but we've been lucky to have Charlie accept Brock into the family. In just a week, he has become very nurturing and protective of Brock. We can only hope for the best in the years ahead, and like I said.. I am going to do and learn everything I possibly can to make us ALL a happy family.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 9th, 2006, 11:28 am

just remember, you might have to crate/rotate charlie and brock if it comes down to them hating each other for the rest of their lives.. which will mean a change in routine to make sure they never get at each other..
as long as you can live with that knowing that it might 50-50 happen or not, then keep reading and doing your homework..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 9th, 2006, 11:37 am

I can tell you, having two dogs who do not get along can be a real pain in the butt. Fine if someone is home all the time, but when you have to travel, or you are working all day, or have appts all day, it can be very hard to make sure each dog gets what it needs. I also do not trust gates, doors, or fences; if one dog is out, the other is in a crate. Period.

Lets hope you can avoid that.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk