Deep Pyoderma

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 8th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Poor Sidney Bean. It never seems to end!

Sid tested off the charts for numerous environmental allergies and is now undergoing immunotherapy shots to get her symptoms under control in the long term.
She just recently decided that stud tail was also the cool new thing and she had to have that too.
NOW we just got back from the vet because her tail was swollen and oozing--- Deep Pyoderma on her tail, face (lips & chin) and ears. He prescribed Cipro for the next 15 days since she's responded well to that in the past.
Her poor immune system is just a complete wreck.

Anyone with pyoderma experience? Any pointers to help me work through these frustrations and get her back on her toes???
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 8th, 2006, 4:35 pm

I hope she is better soon! Wish I could help
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Mac is also undergoing allergy shots for his extreme allergy to dust mites and storage mites.

He has occasional outbreaks of pyoderma, but we use Cefa (ceflexin) tabs to treat it, usually for three weeks at a time. For more severe outbreaks, he's on the Cefa for six weeks. His outbreaks occur mostly on his lower hind legs, belly, and chin. He also has a sensitive stomach and the Cefa is the only stuff he won't vomit up.

We do Frontline Plus every three weeks and that seems to help. :| He's also bathed every week to ten days with Chlorhexiderm Max shampoo. The bully bumps never seem to go completely away (there are always one or two), but these treatments seem to keep them under control.

I have noticed that the allergy shots seem to be helping -- the amount of bully bumps has dropped off to very very few, mostly on his legs.

Oh, after he eats anything, we wipe his chin and outside edges of his jowls with an astringent (Seabreeze if we can find it) or a mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide. Any breakouts disappear very very quickly.

Hope this helps! It's a very frustrating problem. :choke:
Last edited by Marinepits on June 8th, 2006, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 8th, 2006, 5:44 pm

How long has Mac been getting the allergy shots?

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:How long has Mac been getting the allergy shots?

Duh, yeah, that would be helpful information, right? :oops:

Seven and a half weeks.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 8th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Wow, thanks so much for the info. It's great to hear that the shots are going well for you so far. I'm just trying not to pull my own hair out with all of these allergies. I feel so bad for her.

Where do you get the shampoo? Was it vet prescribed?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 8:18 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Wow, thanks so much for the info. It's great to hear that the shots are going well for you so far. I'm just trying not to pull my own hair out with all of these allergies. I feel so bad for her.

Where do you get the shampoo? Was it vet prescribed?

Yes. Make sure you ask for the 4% Chlorhexiderm Max, not the 2% -- my vet has to order it for me.

How long has Miss Bean been doing the shots?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 8th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Here is a link to it... I'm sure there are many places on the web that have it cheaper than the vet. Sulfoxidex and Malaseb are also a good ones
http://www.24hourpet.com/medicated-anti ... 6_118.html

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Here is a link to it... I'm sure there are many places on the web that have it cheaper than the vet. Sulfoxidex and Malaseb are also a good oneshttp://www.24hourpet.com/medicated-antibacterial-c-61_66_118.html

Mac doesn't do as well on those particular shampoos, but it may be worth a try for Sydney.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 8th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Sid has just been on the shots for a month or so. She gets 2 different shots since she's got so many allergens, so we're still on weekly shots with her.

I'll look up those shampoos. Thanks
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 8th, 2006, 8:45 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Sid has just been on the shots for a month or so. She gets 2 different shots since she's got so many allergens, so we're still on weekly shots with her.

I hope both your fur kids get relief

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Damn, poor baby. Munkee has allergies but thankfully not as bad as Sid. He has a grass allergy & he keeps a hot spot on his ankle all spring long. He does well on benadryl but he is still OCD about his ankle.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 9:26 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Sid has just been on the shots for a month or so. She gets 2 different shots since she's got so many allergens, so we're still on weekly shots with her.

Wow. I wish we were on the weekly schedule -- right now it's every four days for another couple of weeks, then we get to taper off to weekly.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 8th, 2006, 9:46 pm

They started us of on every other day shots for the first week and a half until we were up to a 1mL dose. Shot A one day, shot B the next day. Now she gets shot A on Tuesdays and shot B on Saturdays for quite a while, until we hopefully see some relief. Then we can try to switch to A one week, B the next.

Did you give Mac benadryl or anything like that at the beginning? Beanie still obviously has nasty symptoms and i don't know what to do about it.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Benadryl did NOTHING for him. Knocks me out for 12 hours straight, but nothing to him. :|

We tried several different antihistamines and the only one that works for him is hydroxazine. He gets one at bedtime so we can all sleep through the night without him scratching. Works very well. During the day, I just watch him and distract him if he starts to scratch. He's much better about the scratching now that he's getting the shots.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » June 8th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Great thread.

We just got Dexter's test results back. He's allergic to all things outdoors, grass, weds, trees, pollen, and dust mites, mold and dust.
We now have to wait another month for the serum......sigh.....I think I have the million dollar dog!
Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 10:58 pm

The vet office told me it would take a month to get the serum and I got it in a week. Hopefully, you will too!

Poor Dex.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » June 8th, 2006, 11:17 pm

I guess I should consider myself lucky that Sidney's the only one of our crew with allergies. I can't imagine dealing with this with more than one dog.

Question for the breeders: Do well-bred pits still have allergy/skin problems, or is it for the most part because of poor breeding?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby blkngldbabe » June 9th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Herbie has a pollen allergy and his underarms(not sure if theresa better term) are red and rashy, as are his ankles and between the toes. The poor guy sucks and licks his feet and ankles all day. We've had him on pills form the vet..I'd have to look (something with a C I believe) and he's out now. We've just started him on benadryl and it barely touches him. Hopefully the pollen will die down soon. This is crazy.

Steeler just started getting a rash on her tummy too. Got a wash for it and an injection of antibiotics..plus pills for 14 days. (antibiotics as well) Poor babies. herbies feet look SO terribly itchy and uncomfortable.
blkngldbabe
Just Whelped

Postby turtle » June 9th, 2006, 7:33 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Question for the breeders: Do well-bred pits still have allergy/skin problems, or is it for the most part because of poor breeding?

I'm not a breeder but in the past I've owned quite a few well bred pit bulls bought as pups from breeders and none of them had any allergies nor skin problems. Maybe it was luck, maybe genetics?

My current shelter bully has some outside allergies but nothing too bad.

Interesting question!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health