Jenny's EARS

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Poor Jenny's ears are a MESS. I mean - one of them is gunky inside with layers of gunk caked on the hair of the ear. The other is even worse, wet gunky and stinks horridly. I don't know if this is leftover med or yeast!
I've made a vet appt. for tomorrow at 1:30pm, nothing open today. How safe is it for her to be sedated for the procedure (a thorough ear cleaning!!!!), at 13yrs. old?? :shock:
I'm afraid she might try to bite me, her ears are so bad. She shakes her head every time I try to touch the right ear (the really messy one).
Get this (no lectures on raw diet please) but she eats BENEFUL.
I'll put her on Copper's "Blue" food for now I think.
GEEEEESH....
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 8th, 2006, 3:31 pm

depending on her body she might take it well.. i would maybe just leave her ears alone for now, let her get settled in, then maybe later try a warm compress to ease the pain a little???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Don't try to clean them out at all? Gosh they are gross. And she's shaking her head...It makes me nauseous to look in them and I've got a strong stomach!! But...I wonder if it would be better to wait until after the weekend?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 8th, 2006, 3:50 pm

she is going in tomorrow right? then i would do as minimal as possible, you dont know what is under all that gunk.. IF she will let you touch her ear, do a minimal cleaning to give her some relief.. being she is just a new foster, in a new house, dont stress her out too much..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Yeah I have an appt. for her. I won't mess with them. I don't want to get bitten. :shock: But I feel like she'd be more comfortable and easier to guage her personality if she got them fixed up...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Cockers are very, very prone to yeast infections in their ears. See how much you can clean out without stressing her, otherwise, the vet will be able to clean them out, maybe without knocking her out at all.

Good luck. Sad story, but she's a little doll.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Thanks so much.
I had a Springer for 13 years and remember the ear problems thing but this is horrible, even for a dog prone to infections. Probably with the previous owner being ill (she died of brain cancer) she got neglected some...
Maybe with me holding and the vet cleaning, he can get the gunk out. I'll wear a raincoat, or at least old clothes ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 4:08 pm

msvette2u wrote:Thanks so much.
I had a Springer for 13 years and remember the ear problems thing but this is horrible, even for a dog prone to infections. Probably with the previous owner being ill (she died of brain cancer) she got neglected some...
Maybe with me holding and the vet cleaning, he can get the gunk out. I'll wear a raincoat, or at least old clothes ;)

yup, the problems are similar to Spaniels, and actually, if you look at the ears, they're similar.

Does she seem 'snappy' at all? If not, you'll probably be fine with the help of the vet.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 4:15 pm

She hasn't yet, I backed up a bit ago and almost stepped on her :oops: She just moved. But the owner's sister said she sat on the bed next to her sister and the dog snapped at her, but she felt that the dog was being protective because this was when the owner was ill, not long before she passed on.
Either way they make cocker sized muzzles ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 4:25 pm

msvette2u wrote:She hasn't yet, I backed up a bit ago and almost stepped on her :oops: She just moved. But the owner's sister said she sat on the bed next to her sister and the dog snapped at her, but she felt that the dog was being protective because this was when the owner was ill, not long before she passed on.
Either way they make cocker sized muzzles ;)

awww, yeah . . . it probably was because she was protecting her owner. That's so sad. Can you imagine how lost and confused she feels? :(

Well, good thing she's with you. Hopefully you and the vet can get her ears all tidied up and someone will give her a nice retirement home.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Thanks - I'm glad she's here too. Once her ears are fixed up and she's groomed some she ought to get a very nice home. If not, I don't think she eats a WHOLE lot... lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 4:34 pm

awww, yeah . . . it probably was because she was protecting her owner. That's so sad. Can you imagine how lost and confused she feels?

Yes :( That's how we wound up with Copper (he's our "accident" dog), his owner passed away and the daughter in law brought him to the pound. Luckily (? hehe) for us his feet never touched the floor of the shelter...
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health