The crying NEVER stops!!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 10:19 am

Fill up his tummy,wear him out, put him in his crate for bed, put a sheet over the crate so he can't see out, ignore him. He'll stop. It may take a while but he will. He knows if he whines, cries & acts up you will pay attention to him, he needs to realize that this will not work anymore.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 10:21 am

wow . . . tough one . . .

When my male was a pup, he had a bumpy start and he cried like crazy at night when he was crated. I, too, tried everything, and against my better judgment, started to sleep with him, (not in my bed, but on a mattress in the living room :crazy: ), and even though my head told me it was a bad training move, I needed sleep, lol, and in the long wrong, there were no issues. He's over two now, and sleeps very soundly alone . . . so I say whatever works to keep your sanity at this point, because frustrated owners are what land dogs in shelters, (NOT that you're considering that) . . . but whatever works---guitars, etc. So the dog grows up liking the guitar . . . big deal, lol . . . could be worse. :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 10:23 am

. . . and Cheeky gave some great advice above . . . eliminating the guitar. :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 10:28 am

Maybe a water bottle or a ticking clock in the crate might help too so that he won't feel alone. But definatly ignore him.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 10:30 am

cheekymunkee wrote:Maybe a water bottle or a ticking clock in the crate might help too so that he won't feel alone. But definatly ignore him.

You're so mean. lol
(j/k)
Actually a-bulls advice wasn't bad. Her dog isn't neurotic that we know of...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 10:34 am

I AM mean! And I slept at night even with new puppies! Not at first but after a few days of realizing their cries got them no where...........I slept. :D Then again, I am REAL good about ignoring & it drives my daughter insane!!! She can sit there babbleing for hours & I won't her a THING she says.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby anissa » June 8th, 2006, 10:36 am

ME - we're on the same page! I rewarded him as soon as I submitted my post. Whats funny, is that when I rewarded Brock, Charlie ran out and did a happy dance for Brock too! He is still.. after his treat, quiet and playing in the crate alone.

For the record.. I do not plan on sitting/sleeping/playing the guitar every night to soothe Brock. I just mentioned it to let you all know that I have literally tried everything, including giving him attention incase it was just a matter of him feeling alone and scared in the crate. It didnt work, therefore I dont plan on continuing to do it.

msvette2u - I agree 100% that 6 weeks is young to be away from its mother & siblings, but as Ive explained before.. If I didnt take him at 6 weeks, someone else would have and who knows where he would have wound up.

cheeky - I use a bottle and a toy that ticks like the clock. (mentioned it in my last reply) :P

I know you're all about pooped out on advice and solutions, god knows Im pooped out on them myself. Maybe its just something he'll grow out of. One can only hope!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 8th, 2006, 10:39 am

Ooops! Missed that part!!

That's why they make puppies so cute, so we don't kill them. :)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » June 8th, 2006, 10:43 am

where is his crate? maybe put it inthe bedroom next to your side of the bed, thats what i do with allnew pups,andi put a sheet over the crate if its a wire one, so that at night its dark... i only had 2 dogs who cried like yours, and its very frustrating..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 10:49 am

Oh yeah sometimes there's no choice and if it's better for the baby to be away from it's situation that's how it has to be. In the shelter I did adopt out puppies around 6weeks because it was better at that age to be in a home than a shelter. They manage, it's not preferable but a shelter isn't preferable either...ANYway...Maybe give it an old shirt of yours, too. I'm sure this will pass but like with any new baby it seems like years when in fact it's only hours ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 10:49 am

msvette2u wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Maybe a water bottle or a ticking clock in the crate might help too so that he won't feel alone. But definatly ignore him.

You're so mean. lol
(j/k)
Actually a-bulls advice wasn't bad. Her dog isn't neurotic that we know of...

that you know of, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 10:51 am

anissa wrote:ME - we're on the same page! I rewarded him as soon as I submitted my post. Whats funny, is that when I rewarded Brock, Charlie ran out and did a happy dance for Brock too! He is still.. after his treat, quiet and playing in the crate alone.

For the record.. I do not plan on sitting/sleeping/playing the guitar every night to soothe Brock. I just mentioned it to let you all know that I have literally tried everything, including giving him attention incase it was just a matter of him feeling alone and scared in the crate. It didnt work, therefore I dont plan on continuing to do it.

msvette2u - I agree 100% that 6 weeks is young to be away from its mother & siblings, but as Ive explained before.. If I didnt take him at 6 weeks, someone else would have and who knows where he would have wound up.

cheeky - I use a bottle and a toy that ticks like the clock. (mentioned it in my last reply) :P

I know you're all about pooped out on advice and solutions, god knows Im pooped out on them myself. Maybe its just something he'll grow out of. One can only hope!

I thought the guitar idea was quite creative, honestly. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 10:54 am

I suppose it depends on what you're playing, when you play the guitar for the puppy. lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 8th, 2006, 10:59 am

One problem the puppy is going to have is that since crying sometimes gives him attention, he will cry through the ignoring until you try something else. I would pick a plan of action, maybe go to a restaurant where you cannot hear the puppy and really discuss it with everyone in the house, write out the plan, then stick with your plan. You will have to stick with the plan for more than a week for the old habit of 'whine long enough and I will get attention' fades and the new behavior of 'be quiet and I get rewarded' starts to become a habit.

I totally understand trying new things, and trying to figure out what works, but unfortunately that has made it so the puppy has been variably reinforced to whine, which makes it a stronger reinforcement.

Can you crate the puppy where you cannot hear it at night, then set an alarm clock to wake up and take him out every 3-4 hours or so? It is counter to the 'have the puppy close at night', but if you are going to clobber him out of frustration (I would be at that point about now) then it is better you get some sleep so you can deal with him during the day with a clear head.

I really feel for you here, having a whiny baby in the house, dog or human, is enough to land me in the loony bin! Whining goes RIGHT up my spine!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 8th, 2006, 1:19 pm

dogcrazyjen was thinking along the same lines that I was. I was thinking you need to get your doc to prescribe some Ambien for you and your hubby, and you guys alternate nights - one person gets to take the Ambien and sleep like a baby, the other gets to snatch sleep here and there in between letting the pup out. I feel for you - you've got to be miserable!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » June 8th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Screw Ambien! Drink a bottle of wine a piece and not even an earthquake will wake you :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » June 8th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I thought I'd add this FYI

I got Os young at 6.5 weeks. As I remember, It took at least 2-3 weeks to completely stop the crying when he was alone, either in his crate or for a little supervised (from the window) alone time in the yard. We used the ignore tactic with some corrections once he understood "no!" and ignored it.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Malli wrote:I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I thought I'd add this FYI

I got Os young at 6.5 weeks. As I remember, It took at least 2-3 weeks to completely stop the crying when he was alone, either in his crate or for a little supervised (from the window) alone time in the yard. We used the ignore tactic with some corrections once he understood "no!" and ignored it.

Malli

Great info. Mali!

Now that will probably be really helpful to her . . . although it doesn't help the whining, that'll probably be good to know. :thumbsup:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Cuda » June 8th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Nah you guys are all going about this wrong. The best way to stop the whining and this technique lasts forever. Fill up the bathtub with water and hold him under until the stops whining. SEE ALL FIXED. AND FOREVER TOO!!!

JUST KIDDING ALL, NO HATE MAIL PLEASE.

Whining pups can be a pain the in butt, but like someone said earlier their cuteness more than make up for the problems.

Good luck with the whining though and throw it a hug and kiss for me next time you can reward it for being quiet :)
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » June 8th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Maryellen wrote:where is his crate? maybe put it inthe bedroom next to your side of the bed, thats what i do with allnew pups,andi put a sheet over the crate if its a wire one, so that at night its dark... i only had 2 dogs who cried like yours, and its very frustrating..

Ok I did not get Rocky so young he was 4 months and my first puppy dog. However he went through an episode of crying at bedtime after going back to the shelter to get fixed. His crate is kept in the kitchen.Since I was quite sure he was not ill and just did not want to go to be left. I did just the oposite of keeping him close to my bed and put the crate downstairs in the finished warm basement with a radio with classical music on the slightly loud side to help drown out his crying and turned on tv in my room so I could not hear him. I think he hated being put down there so he only did it 2 nights. Rocky's cate is also a plastic sky kennel type which has small openings on sides and the door in the front. Whenever I wanted him in there in the day I would cover it and he would sleep for hours at a time.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk