Aggression in dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » June 7th, 2006, 2:53 pm

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Because of the association with social contexts, dominance aggression (like all other aggression) is probably representative of a canine anxiety disorder

Canine anxiety disorder?

A dominant dog uses aggression to exert its dominance, what part of dominance is linked to anxiety?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I thought canine anxiety disorder was usually expressed through fear-driven behaviors such as fear-biting or howling incessantly when left alone?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » June 7th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Marinepits wrote:I thought canine anxiety disorder was usually expressed through fear-driven behaviors such as fear-biting or howling incessantly when left alone?

That's been my experience...I had a dog with canine anxiety disorder...and he bit me out of fear (and broke my wrist)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » June 7th, 2006, 6:41 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Because of the association with social contexts, dominance aggression (like all other aggression) is probably representative of a canine anxiety disorder

Canine anxiety disorder?

A dominant dog uses aggression to exert its dominance, what part of dominance is linked to anxiety?

Taken in context it makes more sense. Read on:

Dominance aggression is a description for a complex of multi-factorial disorders. Because of the association with social contexts, dominance aggression (like all other aggression) is probably representative of a canine anxiety disorder. Dogs demonstrating dominance aggression can be divided into two broad groups: (1) those who have no doubt that they are in control and can compel their clients to do their bidding), and (2) those who are unsure of their social role and use the aggressive behaviors to deform the social system to get much needed information about what is expected of them. They define their social and behavioral boundaries using the response to their aggression.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 7th, 2006, 6:58 pm

msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 7th, 2006, 9:28 pm

and (2) those who are unsure of their social role and use the aggressive behaviors to deform the social system to get much needed information about what is expected of them.

Okay, I get the "anxiety" link now. Thanks!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Those two groups are VERY broad and pretty much polar opposite.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior