Cuda's sessions this weekend. Video (Dial-Up Beware)

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Cuda » June 7th, 2006, 1:12 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:
I cant correct him for not eyeing me in the heel becuase of my inconsistancies as a trainer. I KNOW that sometimes ill verbally praise him or reward him without him looking at me. And thats just beucase sometimes i reward too late, or im not paying complete attention to what im doing, and on top of that sometimes im just an idiot. I created that problem so i have to deal with it not the dog.

Don't be so hard on yourself- we all can miss things and screw up timing on occasion! I don't think you HAVE to correct for no eye contact-just reward well FOR eye contact, and you should eventually get it.

I did see a difference in how we train, which I found interesting. You put the dog in the middle of lots of distractions, and correct the mistakes. I would have put the distractions far enough away that I didn't have to correct, then work slowely towards the distractions. Both work, just different approaches.

Great explainations. I am really trying to get other people's ideas on how their dogs work in protection, few are able or willing to give good explainations as you did. Thank you.

I have done the same as you with attention during heel. It makes it a lot easier long term to not have to spit food at the dog and such if heeling simply means both position AND eye contact.

:) I always call myself an idiot. Yeah i agree that heel while looking at me is alot easier to train initally then trying to back up down the road and basically retrain what the heel command is.
Cuda
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Sports