Barking

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby a-bull » June 6th, 2006, 2:11 pm

msvette2u wrote:IF corrects everything, if the dog gets too close? :|

I.F. corrects nothing, if you train them right.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 6th, 2006, 2:27 pm

a-bull wrote:Who barks in your house??

If you're going to try one, hurry up so you can tell Michelle, lol . . .

None of my monsters, but the boarding dogs, UGH!

I had one that was signed up to board for 10 days, passed it's trial day, but barked incessantly the rest of the time AT NIGHT!!! It was a Sh!thead . . . I mean, Shih Tzu, so it's bark was too high pitched for my regular cit collar to work. Needless to say he's not boarding again! So I'm tempted to spend the $$$$$ to get one for possible future annoyances.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby a-bull » June 6th, 2006, 2:34 pm

SisMorphine wrote:

I had one that was signed up to board for 10 days, passed it's trial day, but barked incessantly the rest of the time AT NIGHT!!! It was a Sh!thead . . . I mean, Shih Tzu, so it's bark was too high pitched for my regular cit collar to work. Needless to say he's not boarding again! So I'm tempted to spend the $$$$$ to get one for possible future annoyances.

Make sure the owners give you permission to use one, lest you make a little dog owner angry. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 6th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I.F. shouldn't be "correcting interest in other dogs." If this is happening, the dog wasn't trained on it properly, and if the dog was trained on it properly and is that interested in other dogs, it shouldn't be used.

I agree. We do not know if this Dr did the proper training for the IF. It is a possibility that he did not, and this contributed to the problem. Or it could be he did train correctly and it is barrier frustration. Or it could be guarding issues. I am just throwing out possibilities, based on the little we were told. Who knows, that is what is so cool about boards, you get a lot of different ideas.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 6th, 2006, 2:38 pm

I am guessing the new dog was trained correctly because they also trained their other dog and he has no problems with the IF.

I think it's just an obnoxious little ankle biter. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 6th, 2006, 2:42 pm

lol . . . exactly . . . so maybe your advice should be~

"Get a real dog."

(kidding, of course, because I actually love little dogs, too) . . . :wink:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 6th, 2006, 4:10 pm

a-bull wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:

Make sure the owners give you permission to use one, lest you make a little dog owner angry. :)

It's in the contract. We can put a cit collar on your dog if necessary, but all dogs who bark are required to come with their own anyway. The contract gives me free reign. You know, except to feeding their little ankle biter to my Greyhound . . .which stinks because I've wanted to do that a couple of times . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby a-bull » June 6th, 2006, 4:33 pm

squeeze it in the contract . . . .you think people really read them, lol . . .

(kidding, of course) . . . :D
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » June 7th, 2006, 1:21 am

we used a garden hose to stop Oscar's puppy wailing(he had tethered outdoors time and did NOT appreciate it :lol3:) when he was little, just brought the nozzle to the door and whipped out and gave him a shot every time. Not very conventional, but it worked...

perhaps that in conjunction with some obedience training?

Would an RTC be too harsh to start off with ? After proofing, of course (just a thought, I've never used one...)

Just throwin' it out there....

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby a-bull » June 7th, 2006, 6:29 am

Careful using the garden hose method. My first dog was 'trained' to not bark that way and not only did he still bark, but he was terrified of water from as a result. (His first owners used that method, not me).
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2006, 11:22 am

a-bull wrote:Careful using the garden hose method. My first dog was 'trained' to not bark that way and not only did he still bark, but he was terrified of water from as a result. (His first owners used that method, not me).

Exactly. That is a similar problem to useing a squirt bottle. You can end up with a dog that runs in terror when you get out the windex... although that would give you a great excuse not to wash windows!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » June 7th, 2006, 11:37 am

a-bull wrote:Careful using the garden hose method. My first dog was 'trained' to not bark that way and not only did he still bark, but he was terrified of water from as a result. (His first owners used that method, not me).

I've seen dogs in the shelter get very aggressive as well, in response to us hosing down their run. Those were the ones who were aggressive period and we couldn't remove them from the run in the 1st place. :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 7th, 2006, 11:50 am

mnp13 wrote:

Exactly. That is a similar problem to useing a squirt bottle. You can end up with a dog that runs in terror when you get out the windex... although that would give you a great excuse not to wash windows!

Exactly right. I tried the spray bottle per order of a trainer and I've seen only two reactions---1) Indifference 2) Fear . . . neither of which I want in training, but that just me.

I'm sure there are people who have dogs who it worked on and aren't afraid of water, I'm just saying for the majority of dogs, I don't think I'm a fan of that method. I'd think a hose would cause even larger issues.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2006, 12:18 pm

I have used a hose on my cats. They try to get out of the house if I leave the door open. The last time I hid and got them full force with the hose. That was the last time they tried to get out. go figure. :|
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » June 7th, 2006, 6:42 pm

I used a squirt bottle on Oscar as a correction when he was little, first it kind of worked, then he started drinking it. He is not frieghtened of the hose.
This is why I mentioned it was unconventional.

If the dog is really determined, it may take something substantial to deter it, is all I was thinking...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior