Meet Ferguson!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Ferguson is the newest member to the household (just joined on Saturday). He is a beta fish, and even though the picture is a little dark (if anyone has any suggestions on how to photograph fish please tell me) he has orange-peach fins and an orange-peach body with very heavy black ticking (yeah, I don't know technical fish terms, but that's what it would be in the dog world I guess).

PS: He is named after Clarissa's younger brother from the old skool Nickelodeon show Clarissa Explains It All.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Wow . . . pretty sharp!! :fish:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 5th, 2006, 5:26 pm

He's pretty!! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Asta » June 5th, 2006, 5:40 pm

He is pretty, thats for sure!

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » June 5th, 2006, 6:26 pm

I'm not sure the best way to photograph fish but I did lighten your pic for you.

He's a pretty fish. I've never seen one with that coloration!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Thanks for lightening it! I have a really free, really crappy, program on my comp so I couldn't do it.

I have only ever seen one other with his kind of coloration. It was about 3 months ago at my ex-boyfriend's pet store. It was orange-peach, but instead of the body being so black, the only black on it was the head, and then each scale was outlined in black. It was the prettiest fish I had ever seen. I was going to buy it that night, but ended up getting in a huge fight with the ex and storming out. We haven't spoken since, which is why I never went back to get the fish.

I was VERY surprised when I saw this one at Petsmart. Their fish are never up to the same calibur as the one's my ex carries, but apparently they get in a cute one every once in a while with the bonus of me not having to run into the ex :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Purple » June 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm

He looks like a feisty one! Got a mirror?!
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Purple wrote:He looks like a feisty one! Got a mirror?!

Oooh fabulous idea!! I tried showing him pictures of other beta's and he didn't react. Why the hell didn't I think of a mirror? I suck.

I had one once, Ralphie, my first ever, who HATED it when anyone walked past his bowl. He was always looking at you like "Mofo, you steppin'?!" And nothing pissed him off more than when I would change my clothes. He would puff up completely and yell at me . . . maybe he thought I was too ugly to be naked, or maybe he just preferred men . . . the world will never know.

I miss that fish. He was the coolest. Deep blue body and canary yellow fins. I have never seen another one like him (again, a fish I got from my ex . . .this was back when we were dating . . . he can get the BEST fish . . . to bad I hate his guts right now).
SisMorphine

Postby Purple » June 5th, 2006, 6:47 pm

We had one, once upon a time....for about two years. Is that an average life span?
Purple
I live here

Postby Vanessa » June 5th, 2006, 6:53 pm

I really want a betta but since i seem unable to even keep goldfish alive i will not sentence any more fish to certain death. I did have a betta once but he was not as pretty as yours. What size tank do you have him in? It looks very nice :)
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Vanessa wrote:I really want a betta but since i seem unable to even keep goldfish alive i will not sentence any more fish to certain death. I did have a betta once but he was not as pretty as yours. What size tank do you have him in? It looks very nice :)

It's only a 2 gallon. I kind of wish I had sprung for the 5, though. I had always kept my bettas in extra large bowls in the past, this is my first tank for them, and Ferguson already seems about 8 million times happier and healthier than the others I've had!!!

Goldfish are easy to kill . . . bettas not so much. Get one!!
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Purple wrote:We had one, once upon a time....for about two years. Is that an average life span?

I think so. That's been the average lifespan for most of mine (not including the one that died because when I was gone for a long weekend the cat drank all of the water out of his bowl and I found him dead on dry rocks . . .).
SisMorphine

Postby Vanessa » June 5th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Hmmmmmmm... Maybe i will get one. I have a feeling the goldfish i have now is not going to last long as he is sick and the meds don't seem to be working :( Do you know if bettas and plectos can live together?
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 5th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Very Pretty
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Vanessa wrote:Hmmmmmmm... Maybe i will get one. I have a feeling the goldfish i have now is not going to last long as he is sick and the meds don't seem to be working :( Do you know if bettas and plectos can live together?

According to my ex they can, you just have to get a big enough tank. I'm going to be getting a snail to go with this guy since the tank is only 2 gallons and plecos get far too big for two fish to share it . . .
SisMorphine

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 13th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Ferguson is very cool! OMG I used to love Clarissa Explains it All!!!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Romanwild » June 14th, 2006, 7:37 am

Very pretty! They're my favorite fish!

They're the pit bulls of the fish world! lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby call2arms » June 21st, 2006, 3:15 pm

That's a neat color!

To take fish pictures, it's a good idea to have very, very bright light: ImageImage For those, I used the canopy light, daylight, the room light, plus a flashlight pointed on the fish, plus the camera flash. White background is good, too (you can just slip a paper sheet behind the bowl) since it reflects light.

This is was first attempt at photographing Mr Bling-Bling, recovering from Fin rot... By the way, his body is not that gray... It's more of an iridescent red/turquoise/lilac colour.

What do you feed your little guy? Mine has just started being not-so-picky and eating Hikari pellets... He LOOOVES frozen bloodworms, and comes to pick them from my fingers... He's adorable, never tought I could love a fish so much.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members