Raw Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2006, 4:47 pm

no you don't need to worry, he probably ate it. Pork shoulder bone tends to not be very hard when it is cut so he probably crunched right through it. Mine have no porblems crunching them or neck bones up. The only problem I have run across as far as bones is pigs feet. My little one choked on them so she doesn't get them at all anymore. I jsut recently began feeding her bones again but I watch her like a hawk now. In fact, she didn't choke while eating them, it was later.....she ate, came into my room & threw up & choked on a bone that got stuck coming up. She had gulped her food which she rarely does and it didn't agree with her tummy.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 4:59 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:no you don't need to worry, he probably ate it. Pork shoulder bone tends to not be very hard when it is cut so he probably crunched right through it. Mine have no porblems crunching them or neck bones up. The only problem I have run across as far as bones is pigs feet. My little one choked on them so she doesn't get them at all anymore. I jsut recently began feeding her bones again but I watch her like a hawk now. In fact, she didn't choke while eating them, it was later.....she ate, came into my room & threw up & choked on a bone that got stuck coming up. She had gulped her food which she rarely does and it didn't agree with her tummy.

Well that must have been freaky to watch her choke on the bone.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2006, 5:10 pm

It was horrible because she was still trying to throw up. It was a soft cartiledge like bone & round so it was kind of hard to grab but I managed to get it. I grabbed her & had her upside down between my legs squeezing her trying to help dislodge it. I reached in her mouth & was able to grab the bone & pull it out.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 9:06 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:It was horrible because she was still trying to throw up. It was a soft cartiledge like bone & round so it was kind of hard to grab but I managed to get it. I grabbed her & had her upside down between my legs squeezing her trying to help dislodge it. I reached in her mouth & was able to grab the bone & pull it out.

Wow!!!! :shock:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 5th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Ok here is my next question....
I went back to the same place I picked up the other stuff and saw chicken hearts which I picked up. Have you ever fed this and if so, how did you feed it? After the beef liver incident I am scared to feed organ meats. Speaking of liver, is chicken liver easier for them to digest than beef liver???

One last question, how often do you feed pork? Can it be fed everyday while introducing it like chicken? I was talking to this lady who was checking me out and she said I have a Boxer and I would never ever feed it pork. But I would feed it beef, chciken, turkey, vension etc.... So I asked her if she had her dog on a raw diet and she said "oh no". Whatever. :|
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Vanessa » June 5th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ozzy is doing wonderful on the Royal Canin. His coat is shinier and his bm's are less rancid :oops: He even seems to be shedding less. He also has not thrown up once since we started. Thanks for all the helpful reccomendations on food :) I am planning on trying some raw soon too.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 5th, 2006, 7:52 pm

luvmyangels wrote:Ok here is my next question....
I went back to the same place I picked up the other stuff and saw chicken hearts which I picked up. Have you ever fed this and if so, how did you feed it? After the beef liver incident I am scared to feed organ meats. Speaking of liver, is chicken liver easier for them to digest than beef liver???

One last question, how often do you feed pork? Can it be fed everyday while introducing it like chicken? I was talking to this lady who was checking me out and she said I have a Boxer and I would never ever feed it pork. But I would feed it beef, chciken, turkey, vension etc.... So I asked her if she had her dog on a raw diet and she said "oh no". Whatever. :|

I use heart as a meat since it is muscle, not an organ. I haven't fed chicken heart ( can't find big enough packages) but I do feed beef & pork hearts. I don't think there is much difference in chicken versus beef liver. I feed both, just feed it along with their regular meal. ...not too much though.

I have fed pork daily with no problems at all. YEARS ago trich was a problem in pork and it was recommended to cook it until it was tasteless in order to avoid it. Now, the instances of trich are all but gone. I eat it fairly rare myself ( not as rare as I do beef though) and have no problems.

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/000631.html

Trichinosis is a parasitic disease that results from eating undercooked meat, most frequently pork, which contains cysts of Trichinella spiralis. T. spiralis can be found in pork, bear, fox, rat, horse and lion meat.

Trichinosis is a common infection worldwide, but it is seldom seen in the United States because of regulations regarding the feeding of domestic animals and meat-processing inspections.When a person eats meat from an infected animal, trichinella cysts hatch in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms, which measure 2-4 mm long.

The roundworms then produce offspring that migrate through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. These parasites tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphgragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also affect the lungs and brain.

Domestic meat animals (hogs) raised specifically for consumption under USDA guidelines and inspection can be considered safe. Wild animals, especially carnivores (meat eaters) or omnivores (animals that eat both meat and plants), should be considered a possible source of roundworm disease.

There are approximately 40 cases per year in the US.

Risk factors include eating meat from wild game.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » June 5th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Vanessa wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that Ozzy is doing wonderful on the Royal Canin. His coat is shinier and his bm's are less rancid :oops: He even seems to be shedding less. He also has not thrown up once since we started. Thanks for all the helpful reccomendations on food :) I am planning on trying some raw soon too.

Good to hear!! :)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 5th, 2006, 8:53 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I have fed pork daily with no problems at all. YEARS ago trich was a problem in pork and it was recommended to cook it until it was tasteless in order to avoid it. Now, the instances of trich are all but gone. I eat it fairly rare myself ( not as rare as I do beef though) and have no problems.

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/000631.html

Trichinosis is a parasitic disease that results from eating undercooked meat, most frequently pork, which contains cysts of Trichinella spiralis. T. spiralis can be found in pork, bear, fox, rat, horse and lion meat.

Trichinosis is a common infection worldwide, but it is seldom seen in the United States because of regulations regarding the feeding of domestic animals and meat-processing inspections.When a person eats meat from an infected animal, trichinella cysts hatch in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms, which measure 2-4 mm long.

The roundworms then produce offspring that migrate through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. These parasites tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphgragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also affect the lungs and brain.

Domestic meat animals (hogs) raised specifically for consumption under USDA guidelines and inspection can be considered safe. Wild animals, especially carnivores (meat eaters) or omnivores (animals that eat both meat and plants), should be considered a possible source of roundworm disease.

There are approximately 40 cases per year in the US.

Risk factors include eating meat from wild game.

Well that is kind of scary!!! :shock:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Not to me. 40 cases per year in the US is minuscule, plus that figure contains cases from wild animals eaten as well as pork.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 5th, 2006, 9:52 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Not to me. 40 cases per year in the US is minuscule, plus that figure contains cases from wild animals eaten as well as pork.

I think it was more of what it could actually do than the amount of cases. Although looking at the amount of cases there is a very slim chance it will happen.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 5th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Yeah, I do think it would be pretty gross to catch something like that. :o

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » June 5th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, but......do rodents such as rats & field mice count? :| Cause my dogs seem to be finding them & eating them. :twisted:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 6th, 2006, 8:25 am

I am a little late here, but I think Knuckles looks great. You cannot see any rib, but there is nice shape to him.

You guys feed a LOT ! have been weighing out my food, they get about 1/2 pound at a time, sometimes less. Of course mine are adults, which makes a difference. I was just wowed at the whole turkey leg, or roast at a time! Them is some serious eatin! :o
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » June 6th, 2006, 9:43 am

Miakoda wrote:Just out of curiosity, but......do rodents such as rats & field mice count? :| Cause my dogs seem to be finding them & eating them. :twisted:

On other boards I had seen people talk about rodents and feeding them. Not sure though.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 6th, 2006, 9:53 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I am a little late here, but I think Knuckles looks great. You cannot see any rib, but there is nice shape to him.

You guys feed a LOT ! have been weighing out my food, they get about 1/2 pound at a time, sometimes less. Of course mine are adults, which makes a difference. I was just wowed at the whole turkey leg, or roast at a time! Them is some serious eatin! :o

Thank you. I bought the turkey legs and have not given them yet but I would figure that would be food for the day.

I gave the dogs a split of chicken mix, lamb mix and chicken hearts this morning.

I just got off the phone with the trainer who mentioned nothing about Knuckles and his weight. She was very impressed by Teddy my older dog while grooming him and that he still remembered all his hand commands. Duh!! I always work him. She said that he is ready for show. As if I had the time for that.

So she spoke briefly about the Raw diet with me and how she had a client who was on a Raw diet and the dog had a temperment change which was for the worse. I told her I have not had that problem yet and we spoke about how Teddy's coat had gotten much better since being ruined by another groomer 5 years ago.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 6th, 2006, 10:45 am

Tallulah had a temperment change too, for the better! She was so miserable from allergies, that once on raw she felt much better.

Maybe that dog had allergies to the protien source she was using?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » June 6th, 2006, 11:33 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Tallulah had a temperment change too, for the better! She was so miserable from allergies, that once on raw she felt much better.

Maybe that dog had allergies to the protien source she was using?

I didn't think to say it could have been the protein source. But as I gain more knowledge I will be able to answer with an intelligent answer such as that. Thank you.

The trainer said something to the effect that it was too much protein. But obviously she is not as knowledgeable as people here with regards to Raw.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health