Vibrating Collars

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 7:00 am

Miakoda wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:
Miakoda wrote:
I have never heard of this type of collar...but my regular e-collar has a vibrate function on it...

That's what ours is, however we've never needed the "shock" value. :wink:

That's awesome....I WISH I've never had to use the shock....unfortunately, Sacha DOES respond to it...I'm hoping I can keep the puppy out of an e-collar for...well, I hope I NEVER have to put one on her...she's very mommy/handler sensitive, but I'll have to see what happens as she gets older.

LOL. Now I admit, I've used the "shock" value on some other bad doggies at my house (of course all in good training :D )

:tmi:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 5th, 2006, 7:28 am

Hmmmm sounds interesting. Not sure I would use it. But have recently been testing Rocky's recall. He can totally ignore me and run the other way not caring if I run in the other direction. Just off sniffing at things. So I can see why someone would want to try it but that is alot to spend just to try it. Can you borrow your friends and try it?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2006, 10:52 am

I'm not sure how a recall with a vibrating collar is any different than a recall by voice (besides range of course). It's not compulsion, it's getting the dog's attention.

Yes, I have used an ecollar with Ruby. Correctly used it's no different than any other compulsion training.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 10:58 am

mnp13 wrote:I'm not sure how a recall with a vibrating collar is any different than a recall by voice (besides range of course). It's not compulsion, it's getting the dog's attention.

Yes, I have used an ecollar with Ruby. Correctly used it's no different than any other compulsion training.

wait . . . you lost me . . .

So do you consider the collar compulsion or no??
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 5th, 2006, 10:59 am

mnp13 wrote:I'm not sure how a recall with a vibrating collar is any different than a recall by voice (besides range of course). It's not compulsion, it's getting the dog's attention.

Exactly!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2006, 11:00 am

No, I do not think a vibrating collar is compulsion.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 11:08 am

gotcha . . . I got confused because your last sentence said you didn't think an e-collar was any different than any othe compulsion training when used properly . . . or are you saying a vibrating collar is different from a shock collar, thus you don't consider the vibrating collar compulsion and you do the shock?

Or am I just being too dang blonde??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » June 5th, 2006, 11:23 am

a-bull wrote:gotcha . . . I got confused because your last sentence said you didn't think an e-collar was any different than any othe compulsion training when used properly . . . or are you saying a vibrating collar is different from a shock collar, thus you don't consider the vibrating collar compulsion and you do the shock?

Or am I just being too dang blonde??

I don't know how Michelle feels on the topic, but this is MY opinion.

I use the e-collar on Sacha for corrections. When I have her on leash, the leash is clipped to her pinch collar. If she acts "stupid" she gets a correction using the pinch collar. Doing things off-leash is harder. When she is off-leash and acts "stupid" I give her a correction using the e-collar. She is very sensitive, so I can always keep my settings very low on her. The correction consists of a low-intensity shock (I've tested it on my hand).

On the other hand, the vibrate function is not compulsion. I use it to get her attention when she is too far to hear me. It mainly means: come to me, and heel...This comes in very handy if we are at the dog beach or dog part (with lots of people and lots of other dogs)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2006, 11:24 am

Many of the new e-collars have a vibrate button. The vibration is not compulsion, unless of course your dog is afraid of the vibration and then you are training using fear; but that's a different discussion.

When using an e-collar as a pager, no it is not compulsion. When useing an e-collar to deliver a correction (shock) it is compulsion.

I don't view e-collars as any different than any other compulsion based training.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 11:25 am

Yup, I was being too blonde.

I get it now. Thanks for the clarifications. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2006, 11:27 am

a-bull wrote:Yup, I was being too blonde.

you said it, I didn't. :wink:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 11:29 am

You didn't have to be nice to me, I can handle it. :afro:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Vanessa » June 5th, 2006, 6:44 pm

I'm planning on borrowing my friend's collar and trying it on Oz when we go out to their cottage. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. I really just want it for when i can't physically give him a correction... Sometimes he can be stuberon.
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Miakoda » June 5th, 2006, 9:14 pm

My doggie likes the vibration.......... :oops:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 5th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Miakoda wrote:My doggie likes the vibration.......... :oops:

TMI :bigGrin:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby piperstubbys » June 8th, 2006, 12:31 am

We bought a e-collar a couple years back to work on Leo's recall....this was after going through 3 different trainers techniques and coming up with it as a final straw. But we never used the shock on him, just the vibrate function and it worked great. Just enough disturbance to him to get his attention but it's not painful so that made me happy too. It was the only thing that worked with him at all.
piperstubbys
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » June 8th, 2006, 2:41 pm

did it vibrating scare him at all?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior