Conjunctivitis: Transmittable between humans and dogs?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Hoyden » June 4th, 2006, 8:39 pm

So can dogs get human pink eye?

The Gremlin's eyes were gunked up again with greenish yellowish guk after a nap today - oh Joy!

And I found Birdie rubbing her face on the carpet and bed, with one eye gunked shut. Petey has gukky eyes too.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Maryellen » June 4th, 2006, 8:44 pm

from what i heard yes..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 4th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Oh, boy, good luck, Hoyden! :o
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby girlie » June 4th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Similasan makes an awesome over the counter homeopathic pink eye medicine that knocks it out in humans within 2-3 days, don't know about dogs though...

here's the ingredients:

Active:
Borate buffer, Sodium nitrate, Silver sulfate (as preservative), purified water

Inactive:
Euphrasia, Hepar sulphuris, Belladonna
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Wow I never knew that. That is quite interesting to know.

Hope everyone gets better soon.
Last edited by luvmyangels on June 4th, 2006, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Purple » June 4th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Oh, Hoyden, good luck!
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Dogs can get pink eye, basically the same ways people can.

I know people can transmit it to people, and dogs to dogs, but I'm not sure people can transmit it to dogs . . . :|

Both your dogs and your daughter, could, however, have contracted it in a similar manner.

Do they have any similar, seasonal allergies that could have struck recently?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Hoyden » June 4th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Nope, the Gremlin has no allergies. The dogs are allergic to corn though.

The Gremlin was laying on the dogs and was all over them yesterday though. With all the rain, they were confined to the house and driving me nuts.

What ever is coming out of Pete's eyes has made the fur under his white eye all yellowy gross looking.

Warm wet wash clothes and no tears baby soap are my friends today. That and the anti-bacterial soap I keep washing my hands with.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby a-bull » June 4th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Gosh, beats me.

It feels sensible to me that if your daughter has it as the result of bacteria, you'd think the dogs could contract it, but I really have no idea---I'm just guessing, given the nature of bacteria.

Maybe it's not pink eye?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 7:57 am

Conjunctivitis is definitely zoonotic. Fun fun fun!!!

And I've also heard good things about the Similisan eye drops . .. but don't know it's effects on dogs. Keep a close eye on Birdie, though, and bring her to the vet ASAP because you don't want her to end up scratching her eye because then that's a whole new set of problems.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ellie@ny » June 5th, 2006, 8:10 am

That's sucks then!I almost have that every year,I hate it,now I have to watch even more....
Hope they will feel better soon!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby girlie » June 5th, 2006, 8:30 am

DAMN IT!!!!!

My daughter woke up thismorning saying that she had a "bad eye", all gunked up and red....ugh. Glad i had those drops already.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby concreterose » June 5th, 2006, 9:46 am

I use the Similasan drops on the dogs...they work great!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby babyreba » June 5th, 2006, 11:23 am

weird that this came up today . . . tucker got up today and had green goopy eyes too, and i was thinking it might be conjunctivitis . . . i have some of that similisan, maybe i'll give it a try.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » June 5th, 2006, 11:28 am

Well pink eye can be caused by allergies, and I don't know where you all live, but where I am, allergy season is in full swing.

It can also be caused by a virus, bacteria, etc. . . .

Just be careful. Anything regarding the eyes can get very bad very quickly, so for lack of a better phrase, "keep an eye on it." :D
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Hoyden » June 5th, 2006, 11:35 am

Well the Gemlin definately has pink eye per the doctor.

I called the vet and asked for an appointment and told him that the Gremlin has a definate diagnosis of pink eye. He asked a bunch of questions and said that it sounds like the Gremlin gave both dogs Conjunctivitis!

He's booked today and is calling in an RX for both dogs to give them some relief and I'll bring them in tomorrow if there is not improvement.

Birdie is coming to me to have her eye wiped now and not trying to rub it on the carpet anymore. I've been giving her a small piece of cooked liver each time she comes to me instead of wiping it everywhere.

Let me just say this is GROSSSSSS! Six weeping, gunky nasty eyeballs EWWWWWWW!

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Jenn » June 5th, 2006, 1:40 pm

ICK, ICK, ICK! Hope everyone is feeling better ASAP!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby bouvierz » June 11th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Yes yes yes, Conjutivitis is a zoonosis and can spread like wild fire if you dont wash your hands. I didnt read the whole tread so Im sorry if this is a repeated response. :|
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health